Going for a Note 9 yes/no

Status
Not open for further replies.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Looking at the current renders, I think it will have the same 3300mah battery. With the FPS sensor below the camera, they have not made any room to even consider a larger battery.

I really haven't heard anything so far to consider going from Note 8 to Note 9.

https://www.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-note-9

it would take a lot to make me upgrade. big battery (my biggest and loudest complaint), flat screen (apps are not optimized and the s pen doesn't like it), and a non glass back (fragile fragile fragile). funny thing is those are my complaints about all the new Samsungs.

however, if the pixel 3 has wireless charging probably go with that.

MysticalDreams

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I haven't decided yet... I know I am not getting a new phone until Nov/Dec so I have time If I want to get one this year.
The info I have seen, and I admit it has been over a month since I looked, hasn't impressed me. I have 4 phones on my plan and I am the only one that always wants to upgrade. So I take their upgrades :) or I just buy it when I want it!

ScotFra

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
No way! Not enough differences with Note 8. I was expecting at least a front fingerprint scanner, so I'll wait for the Note 10.
Manufacturers get an interesting phone out every 2 years. The one in between is just to make money. Note 8 was the difference, Note 9 is to make money and Note 10 will be the one to buy again.

Damage42X

Jun 7, 2018
Visit site
Considering that my Note 4 is practically on life support, I don't think I can wait any longer. It may not be worth it for people who've bought recent phones, but to me any phone is worth upgrading to at this point.

Besides, when a phone gets a radical change, their first version of the phone often has too many flaws, so getting the Note 9 now, which was improved in every possible way, and then wait for three years till they perfect the upgrades that were done is probably a safer route.

Rishav Kumar3

Aug 24, 2016
Visit site
I was abt to upgrade to note 8...but I need 128 gb internal storage.....n 128 gb didn't launch in India. so....I expect 128 gb note 9 in India....n will definitely upgrade....else I'll get s9+
using note 3 for 4.5 years now....
n this phone has its performance issues now.

teejay69

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
I'm still rocking my Note 4, and have yet to be moved. Nothing there yet making me to jump. Loving the look of everything, but not enough to make me say YEAH that's what I want.

nycundrgrnd

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
If the N9 is an "S9+ PLUS pen & smaller battery then 9+" then NO.
Everthing I have seen so far it will be. The Note line today EXISTS as a device to showcase a PEN. Notes launched since N7 don't have the faster SoC, more RAM, bigger battery, better screen, better camera than the S line. You pay approx $200 more for a pen, smaller battery and old SoC.
No thanks

Ryano89

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I live in a rural area so as much as I love my Note8, I will be upgrading to the 9 assuming it's 600mhz compatible

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Well I think the price difference is more like $100 between the Note 8 and S9 Plus. Depending on Carrier it's a difference could be less than $100.

I think if you really like the S-Pen then the $100 difference is worth it. I don't like the smaller battery but it is what it is due to size limitation and like I mentioned before the Note 8 for me is a solid 24-hour phone so it's okay really.

To be honest I think the fair comparison would have been between the Note 8 and the S8 Plus since they're both same year models and the differences are a little bit more clear where the S8 didn't have the extra memory and the screen size was smaller than the current S9 Plus and the Note 8 had better cameras and then I think the price difference was still only $100.

At the time I had that decision to make the between the Note 8 and the S8 Plus and I chose to Note 8

If the N9 is an "S9+ PLUS pen & smaller battery then 9+" then NO.
Everthing I have seen so far it will be. The Note line today EXISTS as a device to showcase a PEN. Notes launched since N7 don't have the faster SoC, more RAM, bigger battery, better screen, better camera than the S line. You pay approx $200 more for a pen, smaller battery and old SoC.
No thanks

Last edited:

biotron2000

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
If it has a better camera, I'm there. The poor low-light capability of the Note 8 is my only issue with an otherwise great phone.

Edit: A wide-angle front cam would be great, too.

Last edited:

mike104393

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Loving my Note 8, but I be hard press to make an upgrade if the Note 9 becomes an incremental upgrade. Hard to justify dropping another 1k for a slightly improved camera and small bazel. Hoping I'm wrong but may stick it put with my Note 8 till Note 10 or Pixel 3 drops.

Gray Area

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
So with the Note 9 only about 2 months away and plenty rumours/leaks going, are you considering upgrading your Note 8 and if so, what would be your main decider/s for doing so?
I'm well happy with N8 but if I for under 1k can get 512gb storage, 8gb ram, closer to 4000mah battery (maybe even faster charging) camera even better than S9+, upgraded front cam (maybe even a dual) s-pen we know will come with new stuff just not what yet.
Improved DeX experience, Bixby 2.0
Stereo speakers
What else could sway you?
Forget about the under screen fp scanner, it won't happen
I'm happy with the note 8 but will upgrade for all the reasons you've mentioned if they are confirmed to be true. Plus I'm on the galaxy forever plan with sprint, so it's a no Brainer.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Won't happen. 256gb iPhone X goes for $1150... no way Samsung will sell an 512gb for less than 1K.

Maybe a 512gb option for > $1k but they rarely do options like that in the US and only offer special China or Korean variants later.

If the renders and dimensions are accurate and the FPS under camera definitely limiting the space they have, then unless they use a new battery technology it's 3300mah battery again. You have to look at pics of the Note 8, S9+ and S8 Active teardown videos to see the difference in 3300, 3500 and 4000 mah battery.

I really wish they would make the phone thicker to shoehorn a bigger battery... 3500 minimum but 3750-4000 preferred. Took my phone out of case the other day to clean and used it for a while and I really don't like holding it without case... too thin. Maybe being too darn slippery doesn't help.

I'm happy with the note 8 but will upgrade for all the reasons you've mentioned if they are confirmed to be true. Plus I'm on the galaxy forever plan with sprint, so it's a no Brainer.

Last edited:

Deke218

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
I've update to every Note since the 2. I won't be updating to the 9. The Note 8 is good enough for now. I'll wait to the 10 or maybe try other than Samsung for a while.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Looking at the current renders, I think it will have the same 3300mah battery. With the FPS sensor below the camera, they have not made any room to even consider a larger battery.

I really haven't heard anything so far to consider going from Note 8 to Note 9.

https://www.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-note-9

Yea that would suck if the battery stays the same.

Of course I will get the Note 9. However if it's $1000 before taxes I might just buy an s9 plus then and save $$. Especially the way it's looking it will be very similar to the s9 plus and Note 8.

IMissMyPsion

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
What would make me think about it would be flat screen 16:9 with a decent battery and storage. Looks as if the last of those is the only one that we'll get. My Note 4 was the ideal size. I bought a Note 7 but it was cancelled before delivery. The 8 is too narrow and curved which is anathema to a pen device, and too thin leading to a too-small battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.