Good upgrade path for avant

ShosMeister

Dec 22, 2017
Visit site
Thought I'd ask the community for advice - hopefully not starting any fire storms - about upgrading my phone. I'm not a data user and use my phone for - SHOCKER - making phone calls! I do text as well but almost never use it for any data. Once in a while I'll listen to pandora and maybe look up an address but don't use the GPS feature and never use it for email. Pictures? Nope, I have maybe 2-4? I have a camera for those.

So with that in mind, why would I want to upgrade? Because it seems my bank upgraded their app and I can't get it for my old OS :( so I need to upgrade if I want to keep using that - use it mostly to locate an ATM and make deposits.

The only other requirements: I use keepass for passwords and they have an app so that should be easy. I have all my contacts/calendars on my mac so iCloud syncing needed. If it's not built in on the newer phones, there is a third party app I've been using which does okay. I also have a workbook that I keep car stats in and use WPS Office for that.

Obviously I'm not looking to spend $$$$'s of dollars (wouldn't have bought the Avant in the first place) and don't need the biggest/badest brick on the block. If it makes a difference, I'm on T-Mobile and have been for quite a while and don't have any issues with them so fine staying there - plus they give me a good military discount and free tethering :)

So what do you guys think? Poking around on my own, I was looking at some of the other Samsungs like the J7? Maybe..... S7? But not knowing all of the bells and whistles that are built in, figured I'd ask here rather than a sales person. Not adverse to other manufacturers either so if there's a good LG or something, I'll take that advice as well.

Thanks in advance for any advice and shared experiences!!!!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Are you looking to buy a phone outright, or buy it through the carrier on one of their monthly payment installment plans?

If you want to buy one outright, I'd suggest the Moto G5 Plus or the Moto E4 Plus. They're both very inexpensive (the G5 Plus is generally <$200, and the E4 Plus is about $130). They both offer quality build and good features at this low price, and their battery life (especially with the E4 Plus) is excellent.

ShosMeister

Dec 22, 2017
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Are you looking to buy a phone outright, or buy it through the carrier on one of their monthly payment installment plans?

If you want to buy one outright, I'd suggest the Moto G5 Plus or the Moto E4 Plus. They're both very inexpensive (the G5 Plus is generally <$200, and the E4 Plus is about $130). They both offer quality build and good features at this low price, and their battery life (especially with the E4 Plus) is excellent.

Thanks so much for the input! I'm not particular about where I get it as long as I can get an easy method of transferring the small amount of data between the two. Will check on T-Mobile's site to see if they have them and the price.

Any thoughts on LG? Saw a few of those that were fairly inexpensive as well.

Last edited:

Dano1200r

Nov 26, 2017
Visit site
Since your requirements are minimal, a perfect condition S5 would be cheap and do everything you need. You can even add wireless charging. The call quality was very good on the one I used to have.

ShosMeister

Dec 22, 2017
Visit site
Looked at the S5 and it looks like they are stuck on the same OS as my avant so that may not be an option. What's the basic difference between the S and Note models? Maybe I can pick up a refurbished S7 fairly cheap?

ShosMeister

Dec 22, 2017
Visit site
Thought I'd offer a thanks to those that suggested upgrades. I ended up getting the J7 Prime. A bit larger than my old phone but I'm sure I'll get used to it. Working on getting the Apps setup, logged in, secured, etc.