Google broke my pixel 3

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I started having bugs after the December update. Then since the January update I've had nothing but problems with my pixel 3. Apps starting randomly, having to pair Bluetooth devices multiple times a week. Lag, to the point of just not responding. A factory reset didn't fix it and I need a reliable phone for work so I went back to my 6T. Yes, it's still on pie, yes it's two months behind on security updates. But at least everything works consistently and reliably. Performance is fantastic, battery life fantastic, I forgot about how good this phone was at those things. I hate the size of the 6T, I much prefer the pixel 3 size but good grief I can't rely on it to work right, Google broke it in two updates. Before December it was fine, no issues, I was loving it.

I think I'm done buying a phone just for the camera, it needs to work on all levels for the life of the device. just wanted to rant, I'm so fed up with the state of Android and the choices right now. I mean really what's there to look forward to? You either deal with Samsung's baggage or put up with compromise in some other area. I'm so tired of it.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I started having bugs after the December update. Then since the January update I've had nothing but problems with my pixel 3. Apps starting randomly, having to pair Bluetooth devices multiple times a week. Lag, to the point of just not responding. A factory reset didn't fix it and I need a reliable phone for work so I went back to my 6T. Yes, it's still on pie, yes it's two months behind on security updates. But at least everything works consistently and reliably. Performance is fantastic, battery life fantastic, I forgot about how good this phone was at those things. I hate the size of the 6T, I much prefer the pixel 3 size but good grief I can't rely on it to work right, Google broke it in two updates. Before December it was fine, no issues, I was loving it.

I think I'm done buying a phone just for the camera, it needs to work on all levels for the life of the device. just wanted to rant, I'm so fed up with the state of Android and the choices right now. I mean really what's there to look forward to? You either deal with Samsung's baggage or put up with compromise in some other area. I'm so tired of it.

Sorry for your experience, but unless those issues are widespread with your specific variation, it's entirely possible that it is just your specific unit. I've had none of the issues you indicate above on my 3 XL.

Question concerning the problems you mention - did you have those problems again after factory reset before reinstalling all your 3rd party apps? I obviously have no clue as to the number or nature of 3rd party apps you run, but it's certainly been the case in the past for some to have apps creating all sorts of problems when they aren't properly updated for compatibility with the latest OS revisions.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Interesting. I have both 6T and pixel 3 xl. Zero issues on my 3 XL and is my daily driver. Sorry to hear about your pixel. But yeah, the software experience on 6T is great.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Sorry for your experience, but unless those issues are widespread with your specific variation, it's entirely possible that it is just your specific unit. I've had none of the issues you indicate above on my 3 XL.

Question concerning the problems you mention - did you have those problems again after factory reset before reinstalling all your 3rd party apps? I obviously have no clue as to the number or nature of 3rd party apps you run, but it's certainly been the case in the past for some to have apps creating all sorts of problems when they aren't properly updated for compatibility with the latest OS revisions.
Running all the same apps on the 6T, no issues and great battery life. It's so much faster and the stock launcher is so much better than Google's. Not sure why I left.

It very well could be apps that are not updated and optimized for Android 10, because everything runs fine on the 6T which is still on 9.
Interesting. I have both 6T and pixel 3 xl. Zero issues on my 3 XL and is my daily driver. Sorry to hear about your pixel. But yeah, the software experience on 6T is great.
Yeah trying to figure out why I gave it up. The only thing the pixel 3 really has on this is the camera and that's only for still shots. I'll likely be going to an S20 or an OP8 this year.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Running all the same apps on the 6T, no issues and great battery life. It's so much faster and the stock launcher is so much better than Google's. Not sure why I left.

It very well could be apps that are not updated and optimized for Android 10, because everything runs fine on the 6T which is still on 9. Yeah trying to figure out why I gave it up. The only thing the pixel 3 really has on this is the camera and that's only for still shots. I'll likely be going to an S20 or an OP8 this year.

Pixel 3 XL my daily driver because I have 2 kids and camera is amazing to capture these memories. OnePlus 8 need to catch up on the camera AND get an AOD.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Pixel 3 XL my daily driver because I have 2 kids and camera is amazing to capture these memories. OnePlus 8 need to catch up on the camera AND get an AOD.
Yeah agreed on OnePlus. I pretty well got my mind set on an S20 at this point for the camera versatility and better hardware. I can put up with the software. I just want something that works consistently and has a good camera and solid experience.

FF22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I've had the Pixel 3 since Oct and have found it quite reliable. I purchased it for Google Fi use in China and it performed flawlessly and has become my regular phone (still debating dropping Verizon after many many years). Gmail and google maps and Yahoo worked well in China on Google Fi.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Yeah agreed on OnePlus. I pretty well got my mind set on an S20 at this point for the camera versatility and better hardware. I can put up with the software. I just want something that works consistently and has a good camera and solid experience.
I also had Note 10+ for 3 months. Monster of a phone. S20 should be top notch and an excellent choice.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
The problems still happen in Safe Mode?
No idea, I had to go out of town for work and didn't have time to mess with it so I put my sim in my 6T. I kinda don't care. I hate Google's launcher and lack of customization, third party launchers seem to make it less responsive and jenky, I really dislike the icons which I can't change unless I use a third party launcher. The battery life is awful. Only thing it has going for it is the updates and camera which is only good for still shots and night site.

I just don't see a reason to go back to it. Though knowing me I'll fire it up this weekend lol

Last edited:

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
No idea, I had to go out of town for work and didn't have time to mess with it so I put my sim in my 6T. I kinda don't care. I hate Google's launcher and lack of customization, third party launchers seem to make it less responsive and jenky, I really dislike the icons which I can't change unless I use a third party launcher. The battery life is awful. Only thing it has going for it is the updates and camera which is only good for still shots and night site.

I just don't see a reason to go back to it. Though knowing me I'll fire it up this weekend lol
Hahaha and ya, android 10 on Nova Prime still need tons of work.

green_ember

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I've had Issues since the December update as well on my 3XL. I've got radio instability (cell, wifi, and blutooth) which requires a reboot to fix the poor signal. I've got freezing and lags in apps that require me to minimize them and switch back to get them to respond again (Chrome is the worst offender, so don't blame 3rd party). I also have an issue with notifications that launch apps with forced rotation; the shade won't close automatically and the app won't launch until you close the shade