Google Currents Alternative?

Kegman

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I love google currents but it gets frustrating at times. Is there a reader thats as good and more reliable? Pulse is a great app but only if your connected to the internet because it only samples the article. Currents pulls up the whole article from most sources making offline reading very easy.

What are other alternatives for quality offline reading?

When currents does sync, its articles are a day behind, is this the case for all rss readers or just currents?

Anyone run into sync error issues? I cleared the cache, and restarted tablet. Reinstall is not an option yet as putting all my sites back on will be a pita. This would be the second time I've had to reinstall app since getting nexus7

Last edited:

AZImmortal

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
I don't have Currents installed anymore, but I remember that it only updated itself periodically depending on the setting. Maybe you have it set to only update once a day?

Kegman

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
the currents that came with the nexus7 doesn't even have setting to sync at a specific time. its just three options: sync with pictures, sync on wifi, and sync when charging.

it has a manual sync now button.

I tried out flipboard.....totally sucks for offline reading, some articles are 1 sentence long.

bigdaddytee

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
I've used Pulse quite a while. As long as I have any signal (3 or 4G, Wi-Fi), I can open the article in the browser, it's one of the options.

Sent from my (pretty awesome) SCH-i515

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I used to use Pulse. I've recently switched to Flipboard and prefer it over Pulse. I'm not keen on Currents.

rubrnek

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
flipboard with pocket works good but you have to plan ahead and put articles in pocket while on wifi

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Mco119

May 24, 2012
Visit site
I use Pulse, Flipboard, and Feedly. The latter is excellent, but doesn't seem to get as much attention as the other two. Worth checking out.

RichardRight

Banned
Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Try Taptu. Once you change the theme to dark, this looks so similar to Pulse that I'm amazed they don't get sued. However, in offline mode, they seem to pull up the entire article, or at the very least, a very lengthy snippet of it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Kegman

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I love pulse on the phone but that was with internet connection. Without internet connection, pulse stinks because you always have to click on the link to go to the main site.

Google currents, you dont have to for most sites. Making it an ideal offline reader.

I tried, pulse, flipboard, and reader hd. All suck for offline reading but all seem like good readers connected to wifi.

I bit the bullet and cleared the data to the currents. Fixed the problem and didn't clear all my feeds. Super double win. I'd suggest you all try currents to be honest especially for nexus7.

jimbarr

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
I use Flipboard and Pocket on my phone and my Nexus 7. I also use the Pocket bookmarklet heavily on my Web browser throughout the day. I have enough offline content on my phone and Nexus 7 to keep me occupied offline for a long time. And because they sync periodically when online, they both stay up to date.

hpilot

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Flipboard is not supported for Android Tablets. I have it on the N7, but it sucks in this form factor because it is not designed for it. I have never found a way to adjust the font size - it is HUGE! Pocket is by far my favorite. Also BBC News.

jimbarr

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
How about Settings > Text Size > Small?

You are absolutely correct that it is not formatted for a tablet, but with the smaller font size, it's much more readable. It's a compromise I'm willing to deal with while still being able to access both Flipboard and Pocket (synced) from my phone or Nexus 7.

rom1966

May 6, 2011
Visit site
I used Pulse almost exclusively until Flipboard came along. Then it was 50/50. Since getting the Nexus 7 I find I'm using Currents a lot more because of offline content. So far I'm completely content and can't really point out any short comings...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meta321