google map and multi tasking

jonsdad

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Recently I was using google map to navigate. I had to switch out of google map to another application. Instead of going back to google map via the notification, I used the application icon on the main window. This cause the google map display to the screen where one enters the destination. Once this is done, one can't go back to the display that shows the route. The strange thing is that the voice navigation still works, but the route does not display.

If you re-enter the destination, the map crashes.

I played with this couple different times. Even if I use the center button for recent applications to go back to google map, it does not work.

Is this a bug with the new version of google map, or did this always work this way?

I thought the previous version worked with the application icons and recent apps.

Thanks,

Jonsdad

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Recently I was using google map to navigate. I had to switch out of google map to another application. Instead of going back to google map via the notification, I used the application icon on the main window. This cause the google map display to the screen where one enters the destination. Once this is done, one can't go back to the display that shows the route. The strange thing is that the voice navigation still works, but the route does not display.

If you re-enter the destination, the map crashes.

I played with this couple different times. Even if I use the center button for recent applications to go back to google map, it does not work.

Is this a bug with the new version of google map, or did this always work this way?

I thought the previous version worked with the application icons and recent apps.

Thanks,

Jonsdad

If you want to use Navigation don't do it via Google Maps. Open NAVIGATION specifically ( Blue Arrow in your Apps section shown below ). When you open Navigation on it's own, you are able to return home do whatever and when you go back in, should be fine. The only time it will exit is when you hit your back button and even then it asks if you want to exit navigation.

Screenshot_2013-08-06-15-59-13_zps1df59d77.jpg

jonsdad

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestion. It still happens when using navigation.

Is anyone else having this problem? I have the Verizon G4.

I found another annoying thing. I use Hancent SMS and have popup enabled. While navigating, if I get a message and Hancent pops the message up and I close the popup, it messes up the route map. Navigation goes back to input for starting point and destination. Can't display the route map. I have to exit navigation and restart it.

This is unusable!!

Jonsdad

UPDATE: just removed the updates and went back to the factory default version of maps. It works like it should.

UPDATE2: reinstalled the updates and the symptoms returned. I guess there is another reason not to use the latest version of map.

Last edited:

JayInNJ

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Yes I have had the exact same problems many times. A few times I could get back to the navigation but often I lose the map and you just get the voice instructions. I am going to go back to the old version. I see no advantage in this update. Not sure how to go back though.

jonsdad

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Go to settings -> application manager

Look for maps and select it. there is uninstall updates button. Select it.

I am glad I am not the only one with this issue.

jonsdad

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
You can for all the applications by going to google play, menu, settings. There is an option for Auto-update apps.

It looks like it's all or nothing.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiconnolly