Google Nexus 6 Anyone come from HTC One M8?

Jaggrey

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
As I wait for my 64gb Nexus 6, I'm wondering about people's experience after owning the M8. How has the transition been? Did you do the tap & go to switch? Move over texts? How's battery life? Reception compared on T-Mobile (or any carrier)? Pretty much anything about the experience I'm interested in so I know what to expect. Thanks in advance!

Posted via Android Central App

kamek89

Dec 5, 2009
Visit site
Re: Anyone come from HTC One M8?

I'm coming from an M8, but I just receieved the N6 today so I can't make too many comparisons besides saying this phone is big.(not necessarily in a bad way)

I ordered my N6 on Nov 6th and put my HTC on craigslist the same day. A week later someone bought it and I was left without a phone, so my friend who works for best buy gave me an Iphone 6 to use in the meantime.

I will use the N6 for a week or 2 and then write a review comparing the M8, Iphone 6 and Nexus 6

jm0327

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site

I'm coming from a gpe m8. Battery life is slightly better than the m8. It's hard to make a fair comparison since lollipop is still delayed on the m8, but with that being said, I find the m8 loading apps quicker. Again, It's probably due to lollipop. I'm debating on returning the n6. I have until 12/1 to decide. So far benefits of n6 are def camera, bigger screen, and slightly better battery, but not a day/night difference.

Jaggrey

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site

I'm coming from a gpe m8. Battery life is slightly better than the m8. It's hard to make a fair comparison since lollipop is still delayed on the m8, but with that being said, I find the m8 loading apps quicker. Again, It's probably due to lollipop. I'm debating on returning the n6. I have until 12/1 to decide. So far benefits of n6 are def camera, bigger screen, and slightly better battery, but not a day/night difference.

What has you considering returning it? What were you wanting in the Nexus that you're not necessarily getting?

V6Hawk

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site

I just ordered my n6 from T Mobile. Coming from the m8. Granted I work at T mobile and was able to use our seed device for a week I'm excited for the size and for the speed. Once lollipop is sorted out it will be fast! Its an amazing phone. I think I just missed stock android lol

anon(661246)

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site

I found the battery life considerably worse than the htc one m8 gpe.

dtblair24

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site

Transition was great. Won't look back. My M8 feels like a tiny iphone 5s now lol. But the tap & go basically just moved over my Google account info and some settings I believe. No texts. And it automatically told the play store which apps do download similar to how it does when it restores your account. Also the home screen layout was replicated (I came from a lollipop ROM, not sure how or if it works with sense and older versions of android).

Battery life is pretty much the same for me. My usage varies so much and sometimes I heck out of a phone. My screen-on time could be 3 hours one day or 5 the next.
I want to say the reception in the Nexus is better. This is by no means scientific, but I noticed it was slightly better in known problem areas like certain buildings or basements.

I miss the low light performance of the M8. Front cam is better. Boomsound sounds a bit more fine-tuned, but I am no expert.
M8 was an extremely polished device. HTC did a great job with the software experience. My nexus is definitely pretty dang fast and I notice in certain scenarios the extra horsepower helps. But every now and then I notice a hiccup or some odd lag. Guess that comes with the territory of being an early adopter though

jm0327

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site

What has you considering returning it? What were you wanting in the Nexus that you're not necessarily getting?

Well, the reason I'm considering returning it is it's not a HUGE upgrade. I mean, I know it wasn't going to be day and night difference, but I just wasn't 'wow'd' by the n6 as I thought I would be. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy it. I buy new devices as they come out because I love technology and if I don't like it I either return it or give it to my fiancee. (she currently has my iPhone 6).

As far as what I was wanting, I wanted a leap in battery life to justify the size upgrade, which wasn't enough to justify the purchase. I wanted smoother operations (but to be fair, again, it could be lollipop and I can't really compare as my m8 gpe hasn't received the update). Better camera, I did get. There are some things buggy still on the gpe m8 (chase app deposit still takes green pictures and I can't deposit from that phone.. theres a forum in xda about it and still no fix, sometimes the clock app blanks out) but overall, performance is still on par with n6. I still get angry doing a side by side when my m8 opens almost EVERY app quicker than my n6 and is more responsive.

jm0327

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site

He has a google play device so its a near nexus device

This.. besides the mentioned things in my other post, its not a huge difference to justify the purchase. I just like having new, shiny toys, but hard to keep when there isn't a HUGE difference.

Jaggrey

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
All that makes sense (haha get it). Seriously tho, what I'm looking for in the Nexus is to hopefully not take a step backward in any area. Definitely want at least a comparable camera, and a bigger screen (which is my main reason for upgrading). Battery life to not be worse! And of course lollipop looks sweet. The M8 is pretty polished and has really set the bar high.... I'm hoping the Nexus will be close to that level.

Jaggrey

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site

Well, the reason I'm considering returning it is it's not a HUGE upgrade. I mean, I know it wasn't going to be day and night difference, but I just wasn't 'wow'd' by the n6 as I thought I would be. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy it. I buy new devices as they come out because I love technology and if I don't like it I either return it or give it to my fiancee. (she currently has my iPhone 6).

As far as what I was wanting, I wanted a leap in battery life to justify the size upgrade, which wasn't enough to justify the purchase. I wanted smoother operations (but to be fair, again, it could be lollipop and I can't really compare as my m8 gpe hasn't received the update). Better camera, I did get. There are some things buggy still on the gpe m8 (chase app deposit still takes green pictures and I can't deposit from that phone.. theres a forum in xda about it and still no fix, sometimes the clock app blanks out) but overall, performance is still on par with n6. I still get angry doing a side by side when my m8 opens almost EVERY app quicker than my n6 and is more responsive.
Makes you wonder how smooth Lollipop will be on HTC's next phone! But if you weren't comparing the M8 side by side with the N6, would you think the responsiveness of the N6 would be an issue?

jm0327

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site

Makes you wonder how smooth Lollipop will be on HTC's next phone! But if you weren't comparing the M8 side by side with the N6, would you think the responsiveness of the N6 would be an issue?

Haha thats what I keep thinking. Hopefully there will be some good out of the m8 lollipop delay and they can fine tune things. If I wasn't comparing the phones, the responsiveness of the N6 wouldn't be an issue. There is a hiccup here or there, to be honest, like if I click my dialer app after not using it for a bit, it'll hang (less than a second) then pop open, but after, it flies. No real issues and the phone really does take everything you can throw at it.

On a side note to your post right above your most recent, you'll get a better camera. Battery life, again is meh. Today actually, I feel like I have that infamous lollipop battery drain, while other days the phone will outlast my m8 by a decent amount. If you have the money, by all means, go for the N6. But again, the m8 really is still a contender when it comes down to it. Makes sense? (= (i stole your joke lol)

Jaggrey

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site

Haha thats what I keep thinking. Hopefully there will be some good out of the m8 lollipop delay and they can fine tune things. If I wasn't comparing the phones, the responsiveness of the N6 wouldn't be an issue. There is a hiccup here or there, to be honest, like if I click my dialer app after not using it for a bit, it'll hang (less than a second) then pop open, but after, it flies. No real issues and the phone really does take everything you can throw at it.

On a side note to your post right above your most recent, you'll get a better camera. Battery life, again is meh. Today actually, I feel like I have that infamous lollipop battery drain, while other days the phone will outlast my m8 by a decent amount. If you have the money, by all means, go for the N6. But again, the m8 really is still a contender when it comes down to it. Makes sense? (= (i stole your joke lol)

Lol! Thanks for your thoughts. The only reason I'm even trying out the Nexus is because I'm able to with JUMP on Tmo. Otherwise I probably wouldn't have checked it out. But so far I haven't heard of any show stoppers. The battery being about the same is a little disappointing, but at least it's not worse and has its moments of exceeding the M8. My M8 battery had been fine then seems to have gotten worse lately, but it's still decent.

The low-light pictures don't seem bad at all so far from what I've seen, but I'm hoping that I can duplicate that. It's disappointing also that it doesn't have the slo-mo video, since I do enjoy using that at times. I'll have to look for a decent app for that I guess.

I'm also new to Nexus as far as phones are concerned, so I don't really know what the skinned ones give me until I won't have it. I know from my wife's Nexus 7 that there doesn't seem to be a decent Gallery app and things like that. I'm sure there's a "first time Nexus" thread somewhere. And if I end up missing some of the stuff that HTC adds on, I guess there's always next year's models.

Thanks for listening to the ramble! Lol

jm0327

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site

Lol! Thanks for your thoughts. The only reason I'm even trying out the Nexus is because I'm able to with JUMP on Tmo. Otherwise I probably wouldn't have checked it out. But so far I haven't heard of any show stoppers. The battery being about the same is a little disappointing, but at least it's not worse and has its moments of exceeding the M8. My M8 battery had been fine then seems to have gotten worse lately, but it's still decent.

The low-light pictures don't seem bad at all so far from what I've seen, but I'm hoping that I can duplicate that. It's disappointing also that it doesn't have the slo-mo video, since I do enjoy using that at times. I'll have to look for a decent app for that I guess.

I'm also new to Nexus as far as phones are concerned, so I don't really know what the skinned ones give me until I won't have it. I know from my wife's Nexus 7 that there doesn't seem to be a decent Gallery app and things like that. I'm sure there's a "first time Nexus" thread somewhere. And if I end up missing some of the stuff that HTC adds on, I guess there's always next year's models.

Thanks for listening to the ramble! Lol

no worries. I'm glad I can relate coming from the m8 and being on the fence. GPE devices are pretty much nexus devices. The N6 is a great device regardless of comparison or not. I think either way you'll be happy!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
darshanhiranandani