Google Nexus 6 on AT&T

anon(42522)

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
Re: Question about nexus 6 on AT&T

The Bloat was confirmed by .....(?) Gizmodo in another post. Only way not to have it was Google or Moto stores

SRVisGod24

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site

I don't see it happening. But this launch has been so disastrous, it wouldn't surprise me if Google allowed the carriers to do this. I think it's highly doubtful though, cause if it was true, then Verizon would be selling the phone right now lol

Nchaka

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site

Phil Nickenson said (podcast) the bloatware downloads to your phone when you put in the sim card. Then you can delete it.
Of course, his Nexus 6, was from Google and not a carrier.

Posted via Android Central App

anon(42522)

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site

I don't see it happening. But this launch has been so disastrous, it wouldn't surprise me if Google allowed the carriers to do this. I think it's highly doubtful though, cause if it was true, then Verizon would be selling the phone right now lol

The carriers are subsiding the handsets, when hasn't a subsidized handset not been bloated? Full price may escape lol. and Verizon is selling the droid right now, no competition to the pride and joy. lol IMHO

SRVisGod24

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site

The carriers are subsiding the handsets, when hasn't a subsidized handset not been bloated? Full price may escape lol. and Verizon is selling the droid right now, no competition to the pride and joy. lol IMHO

I'm just surprised that AT&T is selling it! I had a pre-order through them, but canceled it a little while ago. Just can't do 32gb. Wanting the phone badly clouded my judgment lol. I've read the articles about being able to delete the bloatware, hopefully that remains true for the people that took the plunge

burwil

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site

Verizon doesn't even have the calendar widget for the Note 3. In addition to all the bloat. If I can somehow get around buying a Verizon branded phone I'll be happy to do it. Unfortunately where I live Verizon gives me the best signal strength so I go with them.

Sent by my hooka via hash cloud.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

Verizon doesn't even have the calendar widget for the Note 3. In addition to all the bloat. If I can somehow get around buying a Verizon branded phone I'll be happy to do it. Unfortunately where I live Verizon gives me the best signal strength so I go with them.

Sent by my hooka via hash cloud.

Lol oddly enough AT&T gives me a better connection where I might have 1-2 bars of Verizon where AT&T got full but it'd places I frequent and don't care or I'm there and not long enough to care. Generally I get great service and getting data cheaper then AT&T. 10gb for $80 compared to $100 at AT&T. If I get a nexus 6 I might cancel my Verizon for AT&T but I'm happy with my note 4 for now...got like 5-7 more days to decide

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lildj0809

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
Is carrier bloat confirmed?

I've been on so many different threads and read so many different comments I can't remember where to look to go back to them. But has carrier bloat been confirmed? I'm on AT&T, and I want to get the N6.

I feel like I've seen different things. If it does indeed come bloated, is it able to be uninstalled?

Also, are the other "problems" (I use this word lightly as they're minor) fixable via a Lollipop update? Or are some of them just permanent? Mainly worried about battery, camera, and lag due to encryption.

Stevieboi

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
Re: Is carrier bloat confirmed?

Supposedly the bloat is on the Sim card from AT&T so you can delete them all quite easily after they've finished downloading.

Posted via the Android Central App

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site

Supposedly the bloat is on the Sim card from AT&T so you can delete them all quite easily after they've finished downloading.

That's interesting because I'm on AT&t and plan on using the nano sim from my Iphone 6 Plus. I've used it in my OnePlus One with no issue (bloatware wise). it must be something in the Nexus 6 setup process that triggers this. I wonder if this only happens when you buy the phone from At&t.

radgatt

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site

I am starting to think that if bloat shows up it will be from new sims and not from sims that have been previously activated. That's my theory on this subject.

32gig

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site

Hopefully they don't make you buy new Sims with the bloat when you purchase the nexus 6..

burwil

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site

For me signal strength=battery life. You might not actually see practical difference in performance but the battery sure does last longer with better signal strength.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

For me signal strength=battery life. You might not actually see practical difference in performance but the battery sure does last longer with better signal strength.

I don't see much difference between my friends note 4 with AT&T and mind in battery to matter. It's only 1 or 2 places I go to once a week or 2 times ?

anon(42522)

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site

I don't believe the sim has enough space for bloat, it might have a code on it but i would think that the phones bought on google and moto would be safe.The bloated models would be the subsided model
As former at&t rep I've never seen a sim install anything other then saved phone numbers and there's only room for 500 at the most

IrishFXDB

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
With Lollipop they are handling disk partitioning differently. Bloat on your typical Android phone is installed on the system partition, because the phone is pre-branded to a carrier, as part of the core OS and can't be removed as a result. With the Nexus 6 the phone is open to all carriers and the bloat will be downloaded based on the carrier network you're connected to, hence the ties to the SIM, but it will be installed to the data partition and is removable. There are no apps on the SIM itself, however.

EDIT: While this is a feature of Lollipop and isn't exclusive to the Nexus, it doesn't mean things will change for all devices. If the carrier molests the OS before sale due to it being locked to their network they are still able to install bloat to the system partition and have it be non removable. The Nexus 6 isn't carrier locked and is the same device for all networks which is the key difference. Carriers should not be modifying anything pre-sale and every piece of bloat should be installed on the data partition as a download based on the SIM you're using and thus be removable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aslii