Google Nexus 6 on Verizon

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Re: Is there a chance Verizon won't even have the Nexus 6 in 2014?

Logic.

Posted via the Android Central App

Logic and history.... The Nexus 7, 2013 LTE was announced and Verizon was listed as a carrier for the device... and because it's a tablet and not as many people try and get LTE enabled tablets as they do a phone.... Verizon flat our refused for weeks and weeks (may have been longer... I don't use Verizon I just remember seeing the articles on all the tech websites at the time) to activate a Nexus 7 on their network regardless of compatibility...... I forget how long it took before they started allowing it on their network but it wasn't a fun process for those people...

Storm24

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site

I think Verizon will have it this year. With little to no fanfare. They will continue to push the Droid line. I feel like they are just getting it to keep from losing more android customers like they did me over the GNex situation.

mountainman15

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site

Logic and history.... The Nexus 7, 2013 LTE was announced and Verizon was listed as a carrier for the device... and because it's a tablet and not as many people try and get LTE enabled tablets as they do a phone.... Verizon flat our refused for weeks and weeks (may have been longer... I don't use Verizon I just remember seeing the articles on all the tech websites at the time) to activate a Nexus 7 on their network regardless of compatibility...... I forget how long it took before they started allowing it on their network but it wasn't a fun process for those people...

Thanks...now that's helpful and makes sense. Man, you would think Google would make sure Verizon doesn't pull that crap again. It's one thing to have a tablet without network support, but that wouldn't fly with a phone. There would be a few unhappy Google Play customers if that's the case.

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
The only thing different with this situation, when compared to the LTE Nexus 7 or the Galaxy Nexus debacles, is that the Nexus 6 will be available on all carriers. Once this thing is available on AT&T, Sprint, and T-Mobile, I doubt Verizon is going to want to be left out from offering it for too long.

But then again they might shift strategy and just try to push people to the Droid Turbo.

Posted via the Android Central App

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

Thanks...now that's helpful and makes sense. Man, you would think Google would make sure Verizon doesn't pull that crap again. It's one thing to have a tablet without network support, but that wouldn't fly with a phone. There would be a few unhappy Google Play customers if that's the case.

Well apparently not TOO many play store customers!

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Re: voice and data

That's a great question.

Based on what we know so far my bet is the Verizon Nexus 6 will have to have Verizon's Advanced Calling 1.0 activated to be able to have simultaneous voice and data.

Based on what I've read the early feedback on Verizon's Advanced Calling is very poor. Dropped calls, diminished battery life and poor call quality have all been mentioned.

Posted via Android Central App

I have the GS5 on Verizon with Advanced calling and none of the above is true for me anyway. Call quality on a VOLTE call is exceptional, incredible actually. No battery issues for me either.

The larger question is: Will the VZW Nexus 6 have the 2 radios or will it not? If it has only 1 radio, like the new Moto X, Droid Turbo, etc, I believe it will still only be able to do Simultaneous Voice and Data WHILE ON a VOLTE call. My GS5 and others have the 2 radios so I don't have to be on a VOLTE call for Simultaneous Voice and Data.

Verizon VOLTE calls can only be made (1) to a limited number of phones on it's own network that support VOLTE now and (2) only when BOTH have the feature available and activated, and (3) only when both phones are in VOLTE areas. Also keep in mind Verizon VOLTE will never work for any land line calls, or to any calls to mobile users on any other carrier, etc.( *** Note, see below update on 11/3/14) . Therefor, the overall percentage of calls one can make on Verizon actually USING VOLTE is very, very small. Thus for any phone with 1 radio, the chances of actually being able to get Simultaneous Voice and Data on Verizon are very low. Unless I am missing something here, I believe this is all correct. If I am misinformed, someone please correct me.

Something as simple as being in your car and Navigating to a business with Google Navigation and calling that business can not be done concurrently on Verizon phones with a single radio. Ever. This is very sad and someone really has to wake them up. They need to keep 2 radios in their smartphones for the foreseeable future, period.

Verizon totally screwed the pooch here, if they are the one requiring a single radio in handsets. Either the OEMs or VZW has to wake up or there will be a lot more pissed off customers very very soon ..

EDIT: 11/3 per Droid Life, VZW and AT&T are going to eventually allow cross VOLTE calling in 2015. This helps a little...

Last edited:

kingmac38

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site

I have the GS5 on Verizon with Advanced calling and none of the above is true for me anyway. Call quality on a VOLTE call is exceptional, incredible actually. No battery issues for me either.

The larger question is: Will the VZW Nexus 6 have the 2 radios or will it not? If it has only 1 radio, like the new Moto X, Droid Turbo, etc, I believe it will still only be able to do Simultaneous Voice and Data WHILE ON a VOLTE call. My GS5 and others have the 2 radios so I don't have to be on a VOLTE call for Simultaneous Voice and Data.

Verizon VOLTE calls can only be made (1) to a limited number of phones on it's own network that support VOLTE now and (2) only when BOTH have the feature available and activated, and (3) only when both phones are in VOLTE areas. Also keep in mind Verizon VOLTE will never work for any land line calls, or to any calls to mobile users on any other carrier, etc. . Therefor, the overall percentage of calls one can make on Verizon actually USING VOLTE is very, very small. Thus for any phone with 1 radio, the chances of actually being able to get Simultaneous Voice and Data on Verizon are very low. Unless I am missing something here, I believe this is all correct. If I am misinformed, someone please correct me.

Something as simple as being in your car and Navigating to a business with Google Navigation and calling that business can not be done concurrently on Verizon phones with a single radio. Ever. This is very sad and someone really has to wake them up. They need to keep 2 radios in their smartphones for the foreseeable future, period.

Verizon totally screwed the pooch here, if they are the one requiring a single radio in handsets. Either the OEMs or VZW has to wake up or there will be a lot more pissed off customers very very soon ..

Sprint has been the same way since the g2 and s5 .....all so called spark phones cant do voice and data at same time. So it's both CDMA carriers

maxt_63

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: Nexus 6 on VERIZON

I still wish Verizon or Google gave us a time table on when we can at least expect it. Which is why I'm probably just gonna go for the Turbo

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Nexus 6 Working on Verizon Out of the Box.

This has been a huge question here, and one that I have looked forward to seeing answered. Droid Life has confirmed with their unit that popping in a Verizon micro sim lights up the phone for both data and calls.

Now if they can just release the thing!

http://www.droid-life.com/2014/10/31/nexus-6-working-on-verizon-out-of-the-box/

So yeah, in short, the Nexus 6 appears ready for Verizon, even if the carrier has gone missing from the Nexus 6 support page (Edit: Surprise! Verizon now listed again after not being there for the last two days).

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Re: Nexus 6 pre-register pages live on all major carriers but Verizon?

I don't think there was a lot of concern about devices ordered from Google Play being blocked, but rather devices originally purchased from other carriers. The compatability of the latter is still in question (as referenced in the following quote from the article you cited):

Just to be clear, we’re not talking about a carrier specific version that you could buy from the carrier. Those aren’t available yet, so that’s probably obvious. We’re talking about the unlocked model you’d get from Google Play

GilmourD

Sep 19, 2010
Visit site

I don't think there was a lot of concern about devices ordered from Google Play being blocked, but rather devices originally purchased from other carriers. The compatability of the latter is still in question (as referenced in the following quote from the article you cited):
You didn't read this thread, did you?

landale

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site

Verizon VOLTE calls can only be made (1) to a limited number of phones on it's own network that support VOLTE now and (2) only when BOTH have the feature available and activated, and (3) only when both phones are in VOLTE areas. Also keep in mind Verizon VOLTE will never work for any land line calls, or to any calls to mobile users on any other carrier, etc. . Therefor, the overall percentage of calls one can make on Verizon actually USING VOLTE is very, very small. Thus for any phone with 1 radio, the chances of actually being able to get Simultaneous Voice and Data on Verizon are very low. Unless I am missing something here, I believe this is all correct. If I am misinformed, someone please correct me.

I think you are confusing Advanced Calling 1.0 (better known as VoLTE service) and HD Voice which is a feature of Advanced Calling 1.0. Advanced Calling 1.0 can be used to call any number so once this is enabled on a device with only one antenna you will be able get simultaneous voice and data. It doesn't matter who you are calling. HD Voice is the higher quality codec that can be used as part of it. This feature will only work when calling another Advanced Calling 1.0 enabled device.

I do agree it's upsetting that they are moving so quickly to a single antenna design, especially when it's barely been launched by Verizon. If I remember correctly VoLTE was massively delayed by Verizon. I think it was supposed to launch a year ago and as we know phone designs are done several months in advance. Most likely all of these new Motorola phones launching with a single antenna were designed with the assumption VoLTE would have been live for significantly longer then it turned out to be. Sadly it looks like we might have to wait a bit longer for this to be supported on the Nexus 6 but hopefully not too long.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

You didn't read this thread, did you?

Of course I did. What I wrote isn't relevant to 100% of the thread, but few posts are since there's always the inevitable branching out or derailments.

The very first post bemoaned the lack of direct availability from Verizon compared to other carriers, which leads to the logical consideration of other vendors. The most recent two posts leading up to my response to the latest referenced that again in consideration of whether Play store purchases would work. Given the title of the link in the post I was replying to, it was worthwhile to point out that that link title was not necessarily a generalized fact for all Nexus 6 devices on Verizon.

I'm not in the habit of making mindless posts that I don't believe add anything to a discussion. ;)

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site

I think you are confusing Advanced Calling 1.0 (better known as VoLTE service) and HD Voice which is a feature of Advanced Calling 1.0. Advanced Calling 1.0 can be used to call any number so once this is enabled on a device with only one antenna you will be able get simultaneous voice and data. It doesn't matter who you are calling. HD Voice is the higher quality codec that can be used as part of it. This feature will only work when calling another Advanced Calling 1.0 enabled device.

I do agree it's upsetting that they are moving so quickly to a single antenna design, especially when it's barely been launched by Verizon. If I remember correctly VoLTE was massively delayed by Verizon. I think it was supposed to launch a year ago and as we know phone designs are done several months in advance. Most likely all of these new Motorola phones launching with a single antenna were designed with the assumption VoLTE would have been live for significantly longer then it turned out to be. Sadly it looks like we might have to wait a bit longer for this to be supported on the Nexus 6 but hopefully not too long.
I have Advanced Calling 1.0 on my GS5. It cannot be used to call any number. I cannot use VOLTE to call a land line, etc.
Despite being 2 different features as you note, they are bundled together with Verizon.

nickacs

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site

So, since the links have been published the VZW will work straight from Playstore, do we know yet if you can buy the N6 in-store on 11/12 from TMobile and then take it to VZW to activate?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whytefrank