Google Pixel 3 / 3 XL 2018

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
This.
We've got other phones with 4,000mah batteries in smaller packages, 6gb ram, 128gb storage. Can't believe they're sticking with 64gb internal storage and putting an even smaller battery in the 3XL than they did with the 2XL. The nearly bankrupt HTC can put in better specs in their phone than Google, one of the biggest companies in the world, yeah ok.

I was tossing up between the 3 and 3XL, now I'm going to hard pass on the 3XL. This is a joke.

I'll wait and see what the Pixel 3 has.

Then go buy those phones. Google did nothing personal to you. So being this fixated and upset over something like this is pretty useless.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
This.
We've got other phones with 4,000mah batteries in smaller packages, 6gb ram, 128gb storage. Can't believe they're sticking with 64gb internal storage and putting an even smaller battery in the 3XL than they did with the 2XL. The nearly bankrupt HTC can put in better specs in their phone than Google, one of the biggest companies in the world, yeah ok.

I was tossing up between the 3 and 3XL, now I'm going to hard pass on the 3XL. This is a joke.

I'll wait and see what the Pixel 3 has.

This XL battery size leak is super disappointing to me. Compared to my 2XL, make a larger phone, give it a smaller battery, and a big notch. We'll see if this all pans out, but it is looking pretty "confirmed".

Nauga

Nov 9, 2017
Visit site
Originally Posted by Mike Dee
After using large screens for so long I could never go with a smaller screen.
This^^
I'd agree wholeheartedly if we could turn back the clock and use 16:9 displays. The display size God intended. Now "larger" primarily means "taller" in portrait mode (aka, "deep pockets required" devices) and jacked-up letter boxing in landscape.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site

Me too. Consuming media and even just the amount of info you can see on the screen is something I have become used to as well. I picked up an old GS5 I had years ago and couldn't believe how tiny it felt.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site

Interesting, I was the opposite. Years ago, screens were tiny, couldn't wait for them to grow. Then I used phab size phones exclusively for a couple years and finally I had enough. Uncomfortable to carry, call on and just about everything except watching vids. Just my opinion. Now smaller screened size phones are in the minority along with me from what I read on forums and hearing even bigger phones are in demand. I can wait to get home and use a laptop. Glad we have choice still.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
https://www.androidcentral.com/pixel-3-xl-might-be-first-phone-google-i-just-dont-want

Article by Jerry Hildenbrand. Raises some points why he's not into the Pixel 3 XL;

- doesn't like gestures
- notch

I think this half-gesture, half-button setup on Android Pie is not a good implementation. Either go buttons or gestures, because this half-way measure doesn't work well.

I'm personally not against notches. I think the OnePlus 6, LG G7 and Huawei P20 Pro do them and do them quite elegantly, but the notch on the Pixel 3 XL is just egregious. It's distractingly large and the large bottom bezel doesn't help.

Hope the Pixel 3 has a decent sized battery and doesn't go backwards like the 3 XL is.

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
DroidLife had a similar article. These articles are not unfounded. I think Google genuinely made a number of poor decisions with the 3 XL, and I think it'll reflect in both reviews and sales.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Interesting, I was the opposite. Years ago, screens were tiny, couldn't wait for them to grow. Then I used phab size phones exclusively for a couple years and finally I had enough. Uncomfortable to carry, call on and just about everything except watching vids. Just my opinion. Now smaller screened size phones are in the minority along with me from what I read on forums and hearing even bigger phones are in demand. I can wait to get home and use a laptop. Glad we have choice still.

I'm glad we have choice still, as well! I love smaller phones - well, medium-sized ones, I guess, since my preferred size is in the 5-5.2" range - and can't see myself using a 6" phone.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
DroidLife had a similar article. These articles are not unfounded. I think Google genuinely made a number of poor decisions with the 3 XL, and I think it'll reflect in both reviews and sales.
Time will tell I guess.

2018 has a large number of great high-end flagships on the market. Guess the market will decide whether they like what Google is doing with the Pixel 3/3 XL or not.

atakin77

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
https://www.androidcentral.com/pixel-3-xl-might-be-first-phone-google-i-just-dont-want

Article by Jerry Hildenbrand. Raises some points why he's not into the Pixel 3 XL;

- doesn't like gestures
- notch

I think this half-gesture, half-button setup on Android Pie is not a good implementation. Either go buttons or gestures, because this half-way measure doesn't work well.

I'm personally not against notches. I think the OnePlus 6, LG G7 and Huawei P20 Pro do them and do them quite elegantly, but the notch on the Pixel 3 XL is just egregious. It's distractingly large and the large bottom bezel doesn't help.

Hope the Pixel 3 has a decent sized battery and doesn't go backwards like the 3 XL is.
I agree for the most part about the notch, but with respect to the gestures that is easily addressed through a third party launcher like Nova.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I agree for the most part about the notch, but with respect to the gestures that is easily addressed through a third party launcher like Nova.

.....and if the gestures are even an issue because not everyone has a problem with them. In addition if they really become a problem that can be addressed by Google with a software change.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
I can see what he means about the notch. It's kind of short-term and "lazy" in his word. Single bezel all the way across the top might be more appealing, more like the regular Pixel 3 maybe.

But the gestures rant I didn't get. He starts off saying it's not the software's fault and praises Android Pie as the best OS today. Then gets into the whole buttons/gesture thing and something about physical therapy. Then it's "I'm just not a gestures guy". So does that mean he loves Pie as long as the three button system is made available?

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I can see what he means about the notch. It's kind of short-term and "lazy" in his word. Single bezel all the way across the top might be more appealing, more like the regular Pixel 3 maybe.

But the gestures rant I didn't get. He starts off saying it's not the software's fault and praises Android Pie as the best OS today. Then gets into the whole buttons/gesture thing and something about physical therapy. Then it's "I'm just not a gestures guy". So does that mean he loves Pie as long as the three button system is made available?

I didn't understand that either - that he loves Pie yet doesn't like the he's - but hopefully in upcoming iterations like the Pixel 3, they'll reserve the option for people to use the virtual keys if they so choose.

I turned off my virtual keys as soon as I figured out how to do it (thanks to Android Central!); and haven't looked back. I love the cleaner look! I'd always find myself customizing, or sometimes getting annoyed by, the virtual buttons on previous phones; so having this option gone (and being able to bring it back if I so choose) is amazing!

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I don't care for gestures other than swiping up for the app drawer. I like a clean look tho and with all the launcher options out there notification and nav bar can both be hidden. Full control over our homescreens is where Android really shines. Also the lack of this ability is what annoys me so much about my iPhone. ??????

CincyGuy

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Being able to turn the new gestures off or on matters less than the MOAN (Mother of All Notches) and - if the measurements made based on the Russian leak video are true - a 6.7" screen. That screen will be stupid big for 95% of potential users out there and a deal breaker. Just dumb, dumb design decisions.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Being able to turn the new gestures off or on matters less than the MOAN (Mother of All Notches) and - if the measurements made based on the Russian leak video are true - a 6.7" screen. That screen will be stupid big for 95% of potential users out there and a deal breaker. Just dumb, dumb design decisions.
I don't think it'll be 6.7", or at least I hope not. I think Antutu just screwed up with those results. It also said there were 3 front facing speakers, when we can see there are only just two.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andej