Google Pixel 3 / 3 XL 2018

sleepnclass

Aug 21, 2016
Visit site
I like the pixel 2 XL but it's overpriced for what it is. kind of mediocre build quality and screen for a phone this high. Samsung and Apple have much better hardware at the Pixel 2/2XL price range.

Google needs to step up the game. the first gen Pixels felt much better in terms of fit and finish. I have two Pixel 2XL's and both have weird panel gaps and aliment issues where the glass meets the metal on the backs.

both also have lack luster displays compared to other phones in their price range. I'm still a big fan of the Pixel lineup though. I want it to succeed and I want more people to buy them.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I like the pixel 2 XL but it's overpriced for what it is. kind of mediocre build quality and screen for a phone this high. Samsung and Apple have much better hardware at the Pixel 2/2XL price range.

Google needs to step up the game. the first gen Pixels felt much better in terms of fit and finish. I have two Pixel 2XL's and both have weird panel gaps and aliment issues where the glass meets the metal on the backs.

both also have lack luster displays compared to other phones in their price range. I'm still a big fan of the Pixel lineup though. I want it to succeed and I want more people to buy them.

If I thought Samsung or iPhone was a better build quality I still would not consider them. All glass is not better.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
If I thought Samsung or iPhone was a better build quality I still would not consider them. All glass is not better.
Looks like the Pixel 3 will be glass: https://www.xda-developers.com/google-pixel-3-xl-prototype-display-notch/

Leaked Pixel 3 XL prototype looks like an all glass back. Top part gloss, bottom frosted glass. You can see where the glass joins the metal band on the side at the bottom corners.

IMG_20180606_171440.jpg
IMG_20180606_171541.jpg

Pretty big notch and bottom bezel. One camera on the back but possibly two on the front. Very strange setup.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Looks like the Pixel 3 will be glass: https://www.xda-developers.com/google-pixel-3-xl-prototype-display-notch/

Leaked Pixel 3 XL prototype looks like an all glass back. Top part gloss, bottom frosted glass. You can see where the glass joins the metal band on the side at the bottom corners.

https://www1-lw.xda-cdn.com/files/2018/06/IMG_20180606_171440.jpg https://www1-lw.xda-cdn.com/files/2018/06/IMG_20180606_171541.jpg

Pretty big notch and bottom bezel. One camera on the back but possibly two on the front. Very strange setup.

Could be glass but I can't really tell

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site
Not sure what to REALLY make of it just yet. Maybe some more prototypes will surface. I’m not hating the notch but not sure how much I like the design

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
More photos of the Pixel 3 XL: https://www.xda-developers.com/google-pixel-3-xl-glass-back-display-notch/

Confirmed glass back, which is a great change imo. Never liked that metal back with the plastic coating on the 2/2XL.

Maybe this also means wireless charging, which would be great for users.

Here are some renders based off the latest leaks:

pixel-3-xl1.jpg pixel-3-xl-render.jpg

I don't mind the notch. And the polished metal band along with the glossy glass & frosted looking glass - looks like quite an attractive device in the renders.

Last edited:

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
More photos of the Pixel 3 XL: https://www.xda-developers.com/google-pixel-3-xl-glass-back-display-notch/

Confirmed glass back, which is a great change imo. Never liked that metal back with the plastic coating on the 2/2XL.

Maybe this also means wireless charging, which would be great for users.

Here are some renders based off the latest leaks:

View attachment 285144 View attachment 285145

I don't mind the notch. And the polished metal band along with the glossy glass & frosted looking glass - looks like quite an attractive device in the renders.

Glass is not a great change regardless of opinion. It looks nice but sucks because it's breakable, shows fingerprints and has to be put into a case. Wireless charging doesn't need glass so where are the advantages except it's pretty?

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Glass is not a great change regardless of opinion. It looks nice but sucks because it's breakable, shows fingerprints and has to be put into a case. Wireless charging doesn't need glass so where are the advantages except it's pretty?

Well it is my opinion that changing the back to all glass is better than before with the P2/2XL. I look nicer aesthetically, it allows for wireless charging which metal did not, and feels better in the hand over metal with plastic coating over it.

So knowing what the P2XL looks and feels like to knowing it's going to a glass build, imo it's a great change. Very glad Google aren't going with the P2/2XL metal/plastic coating this year. Plus wireless charging is a bonus. Maybe Google could bundle wireless chargers for those who preorder or something.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Well it is my opinion that changing the back to all glass is better than before with the P2/2XL. I look nicer aesthetically, it allows for wireless charging which metal did not, and feels better in the hand over metal with plastic coating over it.

So knowing what the P2XL looks and feels like to knowing it's going to a glass build, imo it's a great change. Very glad Google aren't going with the P2/2XL metal/plastic coating this year. Plus wireless charging is a bonus. Maybe Google could bundle wireless chargers for those who preorder or something.

Let's see.... looks better aesthetically but I have to put it in case because one drop may kill it. Allows for wireless charging but so does other less breakable materials. Pixel 2XL is paint over metal and doesn't allow wireless charging. Durability over wireless any day.
I don't buy any phone because of a bundle. Will I buy the 3Xl? Time tell, but it will never come out of it's case. Thank God they are still using an LG screen.

Last edited:

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Let's see.... looks better aesthetically but I have to put it in case because one drop may kill it. Allows for wireless charging but so does other less breakable materials. Pixel 2XL is paint over metal and doesn't allow wireless charging. Durability over wireless any day.
I don't buy any phone because of bundle. Will I buy the 3Xl? Time tell, but it will never come out of it's case. Thank God they are still using an LG screen.

One drop can kill any phone - the front of every phone still has glass. And yeah wireless charging is an objective functional benefit to the phone that a metal phone build cannot provide. Irrespective of whether you'll use wireless charging it or not, it's a beneficial option for users. Especially when cafe's near me have wireless charging pads where people can place their phones and it'll charge while they're having a coffe/meal. Pretty handy to have.

Don't understand the LG screen comment. Samsung are way ahead of LG in terms of phone screens. The LG panel displays issues that Samsung AMOLED screens had years ago. Much rather a Samsung display, but here's hoping the Pixel 3 XL screen is substantially better than the Pixel 2 XL one.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
One drop can kill any phone - the front of every phone still has glass. And yeah wireless charging is an objective functional benefit to the phone that a metal phone build cannot provide. Irrespective of whether you'll use wireless charging it or not, it's a beneficial option for users. Especially when cafe's near me have wireless charging pads where people can place their phones and it'll charge while they're having a coffe/meal. Pretty handy to have.

Don't understand the LG screen comment. Samsung are way ahead of LG in terms of phone screens. The LG panel displays issues that Samsung AMOLED screens had years ago. Much rather a Samsung display, but here's hoping the Pixel 3 XL screen is substantially better than the Pixel 2 XL one.

When the entire phone is made of glass it's easier for it to break. I have never broken a screen on any phone by being dropped, case or no case and usually without a screen protector.

I can count the amount of times that I've had to Wireless charge my phone while drinking coffee or anything else out in the wildWild... Zero. I have owned three phones with wireless charging and for a brief moment in time I thought that I could never live without it but I found it unnecessary compared other features. I actually had an LG v30 for a month and I never used the feature. Again..... my bigger points is we don't need glass to have
wireless charging.

LG display's are fine.... I've owned three LG phones and never had a problem with the displays and I don't have a problem with the LG display on the 2XL. I actually hate Samsung displays with their oversaturated colors.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Alright well wireless charging pads are becoming more and more popular here, so I think moving to the glass build is a good change. Keeps that premium look/feel and allows for wireless charging. And it's looking like the Pixel 3 will have wireless charging support, so that's good to see.

Also I'm fine with the notch and the bottom chin for the second speaker. I don't think it looks ugly or wasted space or whatever the other criticisms are of the notch/chin. With those renders floating around I think the device looks quite nice. Hoping the final device will look close to that. Also interested to see what the white/black model looks like.

Single rear camera suggests to me that Google have something up their sleeve with the camera that will keep it on par with other phones that have two or even three cameras. So while I think a second or third camera would help with telephoto or wide-angle or something, I'll hold judgement and see what Google do with this single camera.

Also happy with the manufacturing of the phones going to Foxconn. They have the experience of making iPhones, so they're used to mass producing extremely high-quality devices, hopefully with great QA/QC.

Guess the only thing that concerns me is how much better have LG's displays improved this year. If that has gotten a lot better then it could be a superb phone.

So overall I'm pretty happy with what we do know about the Pixel 3 XL so far. Seem to be fixing up a few mistakes from last year's Pixel 2 XL.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Alright well wireless charging pads are becoming more and more popular here, so I think moving to the glass build is a good change. Keeps that premium look/feel and allows for wireless charging. And it's looking like the Pixel 3 will have wireless charging support, so that's good to see.

Also I'm fine with the notch and the bottom chin for the second speaker. I don't think it looks ugly or wasted space or whatever the other criticisms are of the notch/chin. With those renders floating around I think the device looks quite nice. Hoping the final device will look close to that. Also interested to see what the white/black model looks like.

Single rear camera suggests to me that Google have something up their sleeve with the camera that will keep it on par with other phones that have two or even three cameras. So while I think a second or third camera would help with telephoto or wide-angle or something, I'll hold judgement and see what Google do with this single camera.

Also happy with the manufacturing of the phones going to Foxconn. They have the experience of making iPhones, so they're used to mass producing extremely high-quality devices, hopefully with great QA/QC.

Guess the only thing that concerns me is how much better have LG's displays improved this year. If that has gotten a lot better then it could be a superb phone.

So overall I'm pretty happy with what we do know about the Pixel 3 XL so far. Seem to be fixing up a few mistakes from last year's Pixel 2 XL.

Its OK that you prefer glass but that does not make it look or feel premium for everyone and it weakens the build no matter how you slice it just to potentially gain wireless charging. Making it glass negates the added value by far. Since the majority of us case our phones the percieved look and feel is diminished anyway.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Its OK that you prefer glass but that does not make it look or feel premium for everyone and it weakens the build no matter how you slice it just to potentially gain wireless charging. Making it glass negates the added value by far. Since the majority of us case our phones the percieved look and feel is diminished anyway.

You're entitled to your opinion, but I think the added benefit of wireless charging greatly outweighs the benefits of an all metal build. Now there will be added functionality not achievable before in the Pixel line.

I think this is a great choice Google have made for the Pixel 3.

There's no point going back and forth about this - the Pixel 3 XL has a glass back. Just have to accept it and move on.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
You're entitled to your opinion, but I think the added benefit of wireless charging greatly outweighs the benefits of an all metal build. Now there will be added functionality not achievable before in the Pixel line.

I think this is a great choice Google have made for the Pixel 3.

There's no point going back and forth about this - the Pixel 3 XL has a glass back. Just have to accept it and move on.

You like wireless charging and glass I get that.

The point is that you're missing the point. You don't have to build a phone out of glass to get wireless charging.

Wireless charging is less relevant when you have rapid charging and makes a phone more fragile..... Don't see how that outweighs giving up a stronger build.

This is just Google jumping on the band wagon.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
Personally, I don't mind the addition of wireless charging as a "feature", as long as it doesn't come at an increase in price and doesn't sacrifice fast charging. If the 3 does have a glass back, it just means it's going to be more fragile.

Besides, for me to be able to fully utilize something like that means I gotta buy charging pads for multiple spots at home and work. I don't pick up any advantage from that kind of hardware build.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Personally, I don't mind the addition of wireless charging as a "feature", as long as it doesn't come at an increase in price and doesn't sacrifice fast charging. If the 3 does have a glass back, it just means it's going to be more fragile.

Besides, for me to be able to fully utilize something like that means I gotta buy charging pads for multiple spots at home and work. I don't pick up any advantage from that kind of hardware build.

I don't see it losing rapid charging. The Pixel pricing should be the same or slightly higher. I have charging pads already but gave one to my daughter. One at work is fine. Never really needed one at home but since I had an extra I used to use it to charge overnight. I'm really over wireless charging and don't find it as useful since the advent of rapid charging. I'm waiting for true wireless where I can charge from across the room or in close proximity without using a pad.

Last edited:

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
Let's hope you're right about that. The base model Pixel price stayed the same between generations, even though they doubled the storage size. Here's to making it 3 years in a row for the smaller model.

Google's hardware strategy is clear... AI, software, hardware. In that order of importance. I don't want to see sacrifices in function over form just to make "prettier" hardware.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aitana135332