Google Pixel 3 / 3 XL 2018

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Let's hope you're right about that. The base model Pixel price stayed the same between generations, even though they doubled the storage size. Here's to making it 3 years in a row for the smaller model.

Google's hardware strategy is clear... AI, software, hardware. In that order of importance. I don't want to see sacrifices in function over form just to make "prettier" hardware.

I just don't get the whole glass thing....it's a step backwards in durability that just isn't needed. Guess Google will be selling a lot more protection plans.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
You like wireless charging and glass I get that.

The point is that you're missing the point. You don't have to build a phone out of glass to get wireless charging.

Wireless charging is less relevant when you have rapid charging and makes a phone more fragile..... Don't see how that outweighs giving up a stronger build.

This is just Google jumping on the band wagon.

I know glass isn't the only material that allows for wireless charging, but it's the only material Google can really go with. They're not going to make a plastic phone because they'd get (rightfully) criticized as it's perceived as cheap and not high end material. They're not going to go with wood or some other out-there material as again, it wouldn't be perceived as a high end material and might pose risks to the device or have extreme difficulties manufacturing it.

Metal currently doesn't allow for wireless charging, so the only option Google have is glass. It looks nice, feels nice, absolutely provides a high-end feel to the device and allows for wireless charging. Google have decided that they want wireless charging in their next Pixel phones, so glass is really the only material Google can go with.

Rapid charging isn't the same as wireless charging and they both have their own advantages where wireless charging provides a convenience than rapid charging doesn't. First is simplicity for people to just put their phone down on the charging pad and it starts charging immediately - no need to find the cable, and plug it in. As I mentioned, there are cafes that have placed charging pads embedded into the tables for people to place their phones on - they're not providing rapid charging micro USB/USB C and lightning cables. And this trend will become more and more popular in the future now that Apple have included wireless charging into their phone, were going to see more businesses offering wireless charging options.

As far as jumping on the bandwagon, Google have always been jumping on the bandwagon. Apple are the ones who push the needle on trends in the industry and everyone else follows. Apple make a large screened smartphone with minimal buttons, Google does the same with creating android. Apple put in a fingerprint scanner, Google does the same. Apple create two different sized flagships, Samsung/Google do the same. Apple remove the headphone jack, Google does the same. Apple introduce a notch, Google does the same.

So yeah, this is another bandwagon Google is jumping on, but it definitely isn't the first. Apple sets the trend, Google follows it.

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
They're not going to make a plastic phone because they'd get (rightfully) criticized as it's perceived as cheap and not high end material.

There would be nothing "rightful" about that criticism. Plastic is cheaper, yes, but it doesn't have to feel "cheap". The Galaxy S3 and LG G2 are examples of OEM's being absolutely terrible at using the material. The Nexus 5 or Moto X tough? Plastic is also lighter, more malleable, more durable, less prone to temperature related faults, etc. Plastic is fine for wireless charging, NFC, RF transmission, etc. I really hope someone is about to come in here and say the Nexus 5 felt "cheap" or "bad" - we're gonna fight lol :)

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
There would be nothing "rightful" about that criticism. Plastic is cheaper, yes, but it doesn't have to feel "cheap". The Galaxy S3 and LG G2 are examples of OEM's being absolutely terrible at using the material. The Nexus 5 or Moto X tough? Plastic is also lighter, more malleable, more durable, less prone to temperature related faults, etc. Plastic is fine for wireless charging, NFC, RF transmission, etc. I really hope someone is about to come in here and say the Nexus 5 felt "cheap" or "bad" - we're gonna fight lol :)

The Nexus 5X was also plastic.... Felt like ceramic almost. Ceramic is another material better than glass. I also liked the Kevlar backed Droid Maxx.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site

I thought the Nexus 5 felt cheap. It was a cheap phone and definitely felt it. Certainly didn't feel premium compared to he iPhone at the time.

Irrespective, I'd say the mindset of consumers is that plastic is cheap (it is) and doesn't feel or look as nice as glass and wouldn't be appropriate for a high end $850+ smartphone.

I think Google are making the right call with a glass back for the Pixel 3. Keeps the premium look/feel and allows for wireless charging. It's a good compromise.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I know glass isn't the only material that allows for wireless charging, but it's the only material Google can really go with. They're not going to make a plastic phone because they'd get (rightfully) criticized as it's perceived as cheap and not high end material. They're not going to go with wood or some other out-there material as again, it wouldn't be perceived as a high end material and might pose risks to the device or have extreme difficulties manufacturing it.

Metal currently doesn't allow for wireless charging, so the only option Google have is glass. It looks nice, feels nice, absolutely provides a high-end feel to the device and allows for wireless charging. Google have decided that they want wireless charging in their next Pixel phones, so glass is really the only material Google can go with.

Rapid charging isn't the same as wireless charging and they both have their own advantages where wireless charging provides a convenience than rapid charging doesn't. First is simplicity for people to just put their phone down on the charging pad and it starts charging immediately - no need to find the cable, and plug it in. As I mentioned, there are cafes that have placed charging pads embedded into the tables for people to place their phones on - they're not providing rapid charging micro USB/USB C and lightning cables. And this trend will become more and more popular in the future now that Apple have included wireless charging into their phone, were going to see more businesses offering wireless charging options.

As far as jumping on the bandwagon, Google have always been jumping on the bandwagon. Apple are the ones who push the needle on trends in the industry and everyone else follows. Apple make a large screened smartphone with minimal buttons, Google does the same with creating android. Apple put in a fingerprint scanner, Google does the same. Apple create two different sized flagships, Samsung/Google do the same. Apple remove the headphone jack, Google does the same. Apple introduce a notch, Google does the same.

So yeah, this is another bandwagon Google is jumping on, but it definitely isn't the first. Apple sets the trend, Google follows it.

Apple didn't set the trend

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
Rapid charging isn't the same as wireless charging and they both have their own advantages where wireless charging provides a convenience than rapid charging doesn't. First is simplicity for people to just put their phone down on the charging pad and it starts charging immediately - no need to find the cable, and plug it in.

I think it's pretty clear that you like aesthetics, but when you say wireless provides a convenience I just can't see it. I picked up 7 hours of battery use in 15 mins of charge. Wireless charging just can't touch that.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180609-165324.jpg
    Screenshot_20180609-165324.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 32
  • Screenshot_20180609-170914.jpg
    Screenshot_20180609-170914.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 32

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I think it's pretty clear that you like aesthetics, but when you say wireless provides a convenience I just can't see it. I picked up 7 hours of battery use in 15 mins of charge. Wireless charging just can't touch that.

It's a poor trade off....glass is the worst thing you can make a phone out of. Everyone puts it in a case so aesthetics is out the window.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site

It won't match in charge speed, but it more convenient in that you don't have to plug it in and if there's a wireless charger available, you'll be able to juice up the phone like the cafe example.

And I don't get why people would be against having the option for wireless charging. It's another feature people find useful. You don't have to use it if you don't find any benefit to it, but other people do find it useful.

Anyway, no point arguing this issue. Google have decided to go with glass and will be putting in wireless charging on the Pixel 3. If you aren't happy with that, you don't have to get the phone. Plenty of other phones which suit your needs.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
It won't match in charge speed, but it more convenient in that you don't have to plug it in and if there's a wireless charger available, you'll be able to juice up the phone like the cafe example.

And I don't get why people would be against having the option for wireless charging. It's another feature people find useful. You don't have to use it if you don't find any benefit to it, but other people do find it useful.

Anyway, no point arguing this issue. Google have decided to go with glass and will be putting in wireless charging on the Pixel 3. If you aren't happy with that, you don't have to get the phone. Plenty of other phones which suit your needs.

No one is against wireless charging....it sucks going to glass to do it.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
It's paint....a commonly used coating for metal

The Pixel 2/2 XL has a thick coating of primer and then another thick coating of paint over it which makes it feel like plastic. LG used this technique on the LG G5 and were criticised for it. It's not like other metal phones which anodise the metal to give it colour.

For example, the Pixel (2016 model) used anodised aluminium to colour the device. So what you felt was actual metal: https://youtu.be/18nJ3hjUCTw?t=122

There is no primer or paint coating over the original Pixel (nor is there on many other metal phones). What your hand touched was metal and it felt great.

The Pixel 2 however used a thick coat of primer over the metal and then a thick coat of paint over the primer, which makes the phone look and feel like plastic: https://youtu.be/BVKnt7H4zVc?t=124

With the Pixel 2/2 XL You are definitely not touching metal. That's a gripe I have with the Pixel 2 - they hide a metal body with a plastic feeling coating. This coating resembles plastic, scratches like plastic, discolours like plastic and will chip like plastic. Would have rather they went with anodised aluminium again, like on the original Pixel phones, or go with glass - either of them are much more favourable than going with the plastic feeling coating like they did with the Pixel 2 imo, so I'm glad they're going with glass for the Pixel 3.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
The Pixel 2/2 XL has a thick coating of primer and then another thick coating of paint over it which makes it feel like plastic. LG used this technique on the LG G5 and were criticised for it. It's not like other metal phones which anodise the metal to give it colour.

For example, the Pixel (2016 model) used anodised aluminium to colour the device. So what you felt was actual metal: https://youtu.be/18nJ3hjUCTw?t=122

There is no primer or paint coating over the original Pixel (nor is there on many other metal phones). What your hand touched was metal and it felt great.

The Pixel 2 however used a thick coat of primer over the metal and then a thick coat of paint over the primer, which makes the phone look and feel like plastic: https://youtu.be/BVKnt7H4zVc?t=124

With the Pixel 2/2 XL You are definitely not touching metal. That's a gripe I have with the Pixel 2 - they hide a metal body with a plastic feeling coating. This coating resembles plastic, scratches like plastic, discolours like plastic and will chip like plastic. Would have rather they went with anodised aluminium again, like on the original Pixel phones, or go with glass - either of them are much more favourable than going with the plastic feeling coating like they did with the Pixel 2 imo, so I'm glad they're going with glass for the Pixel 3.

I own a G5 and it's not the same coating. The G5 coating is much thicker.

We get it...you prefer glass. The fact that you like glass doesn't make it better for everyone.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I own a G5 and it's not the same coating. The G5 coating is much thicker.

We get it...you prefer glass. The fact that you like glass doesn't make it better for everyone.

It's the same coating - metal with a primer over it, then paint over the primer. Your hand is not touching metal when you're holding a Pixel 2/2 XL, despite it being advertised as a metal unibody. It is a metal unibody, covered in a plastic coating.

So I'm sure a lot of people who were disappointed with the build of the Pixel 2 will be happier with the glass build on the Pixel 3 - and the wireless charging of the Pixel 3 is an additional bonus.

And I get it...you prefer metal. The fact that you like metal doesn't make it better for everyone.