Google Pixel 6/Pro - just over the horizon?

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
We have to talk about this. Guys! Is this really happening? I really do hope everything in this leak turns out to be true. This would finally be the first time we saw Google combining hardware with software when it comes to the cameras. Speaking of cameras, at a rumored 48mp 5X telephoto, I'm wondering if this is the same telephoto lens used in the Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra. If so, with Google's processing prowess and computational photography, this is looking to be the phone camera of the year. I really don't see anyone competing with Google if they are finally trying for once. I've always felt that Google took the cheap way out recycling old camera hardware and switching out the telephoto and ultrawide lenses. The only thing I'm disappointed with so far is that they chose not to include the telephoto lens on the smaller 6 which is my preferred size. However, I plan on getting the bigger Pro. This fall is gonna be tons of fun.

https://www.frontpagetech.com/2021/...l-specifications-for-pixel-6-and-pixel-6-pro/

Last edited:

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I *love* Fall for many reasons - it's my favourite season - but one of those reasons is because of Pixel launches! What an exciting leak! It's too bad that the telephoto lens won't come to the smaller 6 (though it shouldn't be surprising, since a lot of manufacturers do that); but that's still a really awesome setup! Can't wait to hear all about it in October!

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
I *love* Fall for many reasons - it's my favourite season - but one of those reasons is because of Pixel launches! What an exciting leak! It's too bad that the telephoto lens won't come to the smaller 6 (though it shouldn't be surprising, since a lot of manufacturers do that); but that's still a really awesome setup! Can't wait to hear all about it in October!

Me too! This is hopefully one of those phones I actually keep forever even after upgrading years later.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
I'm just ticked off if I want the full camera experience with a telephoto lens I need to get the large phone. Kinda BS.

Yes I much prefer the smaller one too but that’s how they’re doing things these days. I’m gonna be happy rocking my 6 Pro.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
I love the look of the pixel 6. For me it is affording a new phone right now. I went for the 4a 5G for price (got it for £400) but if I could have afforded it the 6 pro would be my phone of choice.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
I love the look of the pixel 6. For me it is affording a new phone right now. I went for the 4a 5G for price (got it for £400) but if I could have afforded it the 6 pro would be my phone of choice.

Totally understandable. I still get my phones on carrier so the price is less an issue for me. Just waiting around for October.

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
I’m just hopeful the chip is solid . This is the only thing that gives me reservation. It’s new territory and it’s no slam dunk it will be solid …otherwise the Pro is where I’m going …I have the 4a 5G going to start thinking about selling closer to the end of summer or early fall …

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I’m just hopeful the chip is solid . This is the only thing that gives me reservation. It’s new territory and it’s no slam dunk it will be solid …otherwise the Pro is where I’m going …I have the 4a 5G going to start thinking about selling closer to the end of summer or early fall …
That is exactly how I felt when Huawei had their new OS. Your reservations are certainly justified!

Smokeaire01

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
I really wasn't planning on replacing my Pixel 4a for a couple of years but the specs of the upcoming Pixel 6 series has possibly changed that. Whether I go with the 6 or 6Pro will depend on price. I refuse to pay $1,000 US for any phone. So the price will be a factor between the two. Since Google Fi is our carrier I can buy it on Gstore and charge it. It would be nice if Google offered some exchange discount but I doubt it.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Here’s the video from Mr.Leakstar himself. The Pixel 6 Pro is gonna be crazy and for the first year we seemingly will get Pixel devices that look great, have decent sized batteries, and give us the camera hardware others have been offering for a while now. I really hope they get it all right this year as it seems they will.

https://youtu.be/xtfys7iSf_4

idiotekniques

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Yes I much prefer the smaller one too but that’s how they’re doing things these days. I’m gonna be happy rocking my 6 Pro.

Apple isn't doing it like that. Their iphone 12 Pro has a regular size and a max size. You get the same triple camera setup with both.

Google dropped the ball on this one.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Apple isn't doing it like that. Their iphone 12 Pro has a regular size and a max size. You get the same triple camera setup with both.

Google dropped the ball on this one.

That’s true but there is some differentiation between the Pro and Pro Max telephoto lenses and same with the S21 series. I agree they could’ve at least included a standard zoom in the regular 6 as opposed to omitting it altogether.

NMCynthia

Jan 18, 2018
Visit site
I'm just ticked off if I want the full camera experience with a telephoto lens I need to get the large phone. Kinda BS.

You and me both!! I'm not a big person, and have small hands ... a large phone is just awkward for me to work with, even though I would like to have all the lens bells and whistles for good photography. I'm not a big enough photography nut to purchase a separate, good, camera though ... I'd just like to have it all in a handy sized phone! (grumble, grumble!)

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
You and me both!! I'm not a big person, and have small hands ... a large phone is just awkward for me to work with, even though I would like to have all the lens bells and whistles for good photography. I'm not a big enough photography nut to purchase a separate, good, camera though ... I'd just like to have it all in a handy sized phone! (grumble, grumble!)

I *totally* feel you... Which is why I got the Pixel 5. My small hands were barely able to navigate my husband's LG Velvet.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
50mp sensor with google amazing software? This might get me to leave the ultra for this

Exactly. We’ve never seen what Google is capable of with top of the line specs. I’m excited and most times the Google mod ported on any other phone does improve image quality that’s not optimized for that device. With Google’s own tuning and neural processing chips(assuming they’ll be back) in place, the sky is the limit for them.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site

Yeah I’ve gotten used to the small, comfortable form factor of the iPhone 11 Pro(non Max) and I had a Pixel 3a before that so I know what you mean. If you’re not big into zoom the regular 6 will be just fine plus with Google’s processing I’m sure they’ll be able to squeeze good zoom photos from the main camera.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
The only caveat about the new sensor to bear in mind is that while it is a staggering hardware upgrade, Google held on to the sensor they'd been using for so long in large part because their software was so finely tuned to it. I do expect the new sensor to outperform the old with the concurrent software, but probably not as dramatically as I might like to hope it would given the difference in hardware. At least, till they've had another year or so to iterate on it being dialed in with their software.

The *only* thing that gives me any concern whatsoever about the upcoming generation is the one big unknown: the performance, longevity, efficiency of the Whitechapel chip. High hopes, though.

Definitely going with one of them. As to which, assuming the specs as have been given are right...

6.4" is plenty big enough for me - the 6.77" adds more downside from being more unwieldy than it does upside from the minimal size difference. And 1440 vs 1080 resolution isn't that noticeable on such a small screen. Maybe that's a vestige of my growing up watching TV recorded at roughly 440, or VHS at about 230, with DVD having been a massive premium upgrade at 480. Still need to be sure that neither panel is a lemon, though Google's been much, much better with displays in the last couple of generations.

The only things that would really draw me to the larger (the 'smaller' still being larger than any XL produced to date) would be (1) the higher RAM (12GB vs 8GB) since I multitask way more than I should, and (2) a periscope zoom.

Still wondering if there might be more subtle, but important, differences yet to be discovered, e.g. type of storage, speed of RAM, etc.

Meanwhile, counting down the roughly 100 days till I can finally be rid of the Samsung S20 FE, which, for me, has proven that the whole can be far, far less than the sum of its parts.

Last edited:

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
The only caveat about the new sensor to bear in mind is that while it is a staggering hardware upgrade, Google held on to the sensor they'd been using for so long in large part because their software was so finely tuned to it. I do expect the new sensor to outperform the old with the concurrent software, but probably not as dramatically as I might like to hope it would given the difference in hardware. At least, till they've had another year or so to iterate on it being dialed in with their software.

The *only* thing that gives me any concern whatsoever about the upcoming generation is the one big unknown: the performance, longevity, efficiency of the Whitechapel chip. High hopes, though.

Definitely going with one of them. As to which, assuming the specs as have been given are right...

6.4" is plenty big enough for me - the 6.77" adds more downside from being more unwieldy than it does upside from the minimal size difference. And 1440 vs 1080 resolution isn't that noticeable on such a small screen. Maybe that's a vestige of my growing up watching TV recorded at roughly 440, or VHS at about 230, with DVD having been a massive premium upgrade at 480. Still need to be sure that neither panel is a lemon, though Google's been much, much better with displays in the last couple of generations.

The only things that would really draw me to the larger (the 'smaller' still being larger than any XL produced to date) would be (1) the higher RAM (12GB vs 8GB) since I multitask way more than I should, and (2) a periscope zoom.

Still wondering if there might be more subtle, but important, differences yet to be discovered, e.g. type of storage, speed of RAM, etc.

Meanwhile, counting down the roughly 100 days till I can finally be rid of the Samsung S20 FE, which, for me, has proven that the whole can be far, far less than the sum of its parts.

I agree about it being a new sensor but Google’s software is literally plug and play meaning it just works. The Google camera ports to other non-optimized phones typically instantly makes the images that much better so Google being able to work with their own hardware and use their custom image sensor processors and stuff leaves no doubt that it will be special for me. The custom processor remains a mystery but I’m betting high on Google this year.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay