Google Pixel 6/Pro - just over the horizon?

Larzuk

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site
I'm super stoked for the lineup, However I have a few concerns. The first has been mentioned, Their own in house chip and how it will perform. The other two concerns are on the Pro model and it's rumored display. I'm hoping the curved display is subtle and finally, Is anyone familiar with POLED displays by LG that the Pro model is rumored to have? I know it uses a plastic substrate as opposed to AMOLEDs glass substrate. I don't know much about POLED but there is just as much negative information on it than there is positive. is it inferior to Samsungs AMOLED displays? Hopefully the lineup gets a generous bump in NITS as well.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm super stoked for the lineup, However I have a few concerns. The first has been mentioned, Their own in house chip and how it will perform. The other two concerns are on the Pro model and it's rumored display. I'm hoping the curved display is subtle and finally, Is anyone familiar with POLED displays by LG that the Pro model is rumored to have? I know it uses a plastic substrate as opposed to AMOLEDs glass substrate. I don't know much about POLED but there is just as much negative information on it than there is positive. is it inferior to Samsungs AMOLED displays? Hopefully the lineup gets a generous bump in NITS as well.

I understand your concerns! I am really liking not having a curved display on my Pixel 5. I guess for things like display and the like, we'll just have to wait to hold the phone in-hand at the store (if that's allowed...) to discover usability.

As far as chip and POLED (which I've never even heard of), that kind of makes me want to sit and watch what happens upon release. If anyone can make their own chip, it's Google - but I'd still like to wait and see what happens. I'm happy I chose my 5 over the 6 - IMO, there is too much unknown about it at this point.

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Is google actually making the chip or are they having it made by Samsung, under a dual design. I'm curious, has google ever manufactured any hardware or have they always had their hardware manufactured? I understand they have had phones made by Foxconn, LG, HTC and probably a few others. Not sure who makes their earbuds.
Just curious.

As for the POLED; I believe the pixel 2 use it and had some problems. Screen was actually produced by LG and they had the same problems on their phones. However, have not heard anything about them lately until the 6 rumors hit the net.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Is anyone familiar with POLED displays by LG that the Pro model is rumored to have? I know it uses a plastic substrate as opposed to AMOLEDs glass substrate. I don't know much about POLED but there is just as much negative information on it than there is positive. is it inferior to Samsungs AMOLED displays?

This article, while a few years old, overviews the difference.

My assumption (which could be entirely wrong) is that most phones with a curved screen are using what LG brands "POLED" screens as the plastic substrate provides the ability to effectively and economically allow for that curvature. Samsung has used plastic substrates as well to achieve curved screens, but doesn't differentiate them, instead grouping all of their displays under their preferred "AMOLED" branding.

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
There is still a layer of glass over the digitizer, even on curved displays, whether it is made of glass or plastic. Usually it is something like Conring Gorilla glass, Asahi dragontrail or sapphire. This is unlike the shattershield display used by Motorola, years ago, on their Z-force line of phones.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I totally get what you're saying. Manufacturers always do this. Very unfortunate for those of us that enjoy using smaller phones.

I agree in that the telephoto lens is the primary draw for me towards the larger, but would point out that the smaller will still do just fine compared to other phones with an actual zoom up to 2x (their software is really that good!). If you really want the greater flexibility, it seems the larger would be in order.

Which is a shame, as at a 6.4" display the "smaller" Pixel 6 would still carry a larger screen than any other phone I've ever owned, yet remain pocketable.

I guess if I ever buy that motorcycle I've been thinking of I may need a sidecar for the 6 Pro.

Last edited:

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Is google actually making the chip or are they having it made by Samsung, under a dual design. I'm curious, has google ever manufactured any hardware or have they always had their hardware manufactured? I understand they have had phones made by Foxconn, LG, HTC and probably a few others. Not sure who makes their earbuds.
Just curious.

As for the POLED; I believe the pixel 2 use it and had some problems. Screen was actually produced by LG and they had the same problems on their phones. However, have not heard anything about them lately until the 6 rumors hit the net.

Did not realize, but my 4XL has a P-oled display. No complaints....
https://www.gsmarena.com/google_pixel_4_xl-9895.php

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I agree in that the telephoto lens is the primary draw for me towards the larger, but would point out that the smaller will still do just fine compared to other phones with an actual zoom up to 2x (their software is really that good!). If you really want the greater flexibility, it seems the larger would be in order.

Which is a shame, as at a 6.4" display the "smaller" Pixel 6 would still carry a larger screen than any other phone I've ever owned, yet remain pocketable.

I guess if I ever by that motorcycle I've been thinking of I may need a sidecar for the 6 Pro.

LOOL at your motorcycle theory! You're right though. I'm sure the smaller Pixel 6 will be no slouch in the camera department! It's just a bummer, as you say. I guess I'm just not a fan of the "go bigger or go home" theme when it comes to phones nowadays!

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site

I guess if I ever buy that motorcycle I've been thinking of I may need a sidecar for the 6 Pro.
Sidecar for the 6 Pro!! I feel you but I’ve had a wide range of phone sizes so while I prefer the smaller phones I have really enjoyed bigger phones as well. Probably the only big phone that I really felt was big was the LG V60 I had for a little while but other big phones like the OnePlus 7 Pro feel so svelte and smooth so you don’t notice as much. At least I didn’t. The 7 Pro is still the best screen experience I’ve had on a phone at 90hz and QHD resolution. So I believe this will be new territory for LG as far as high refresh rate screen or maybe they’ve produced panels for other that I didn’t know about.

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Size could be a concern; however, if the renders are correct the camera hump could be very troublesome and get in the way by hanging up on pockets (shirt, pants, etc.). If it was just 1/32 or smaller...ok, but it sure looks large in the render photos.

NoahTodd

Mar 22, 2021
Visit site
i was really hoping to get the 6 pro but it looks like it has the curved glass iam not a fan of that does anyone know if it has that or not?

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
i was really hoping to get the 6 pro but it looks like it has the curved glass iam not a fan of that does anyone know if it has that or not?

I believe the 6 Pro will have curved glass. I’m not a huge fan of curved glass myself but the OnePlus 7 Pro was the longest phone I’ve owned with curved glass and it was not much of an issue at all with accidental presses as I thought it would be. I really did enjoy that phone as a whole as well. So I’ll deal with it especially if they worked on the edge screen software. The biggest annoyance was from glare but that was it.

Ben_70

May 31, 2017
Visit site
The question I have about the P6 Pro screen is just how much of the viewable screen (if any) will wrap down the sides. My P4xl has "curved glass" but it doesn't bother me at all because the slight curve at the edges is beyond the viewable screen.

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I would call the side glass on the Pixel 4Xl just a smooth edge, not a curve. I believe what many are talking about is the curved glass like samsung used on some models a few years ago.

Ben_70

May 31, 2017
Visit site
If the 6pro has a screen like the Moto Edge that's probably a no-go for me. I can't deal with 15% of my screen wrapping off the sides of the phone. I'll just stick with my 4xl for another year. Which will be a shame, as I really want that rumored 5x zoom rear camera.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Size could be a concern; however, if the renders are correct the camera hump could be very troublesome and get in the way by hanging up on pockets (shirt, pants, etc.). If it was just 1/32 or smaller...ok, but it sure looks large in the render photos.

I agree, that camera hump seems awfully big and squared off....too bad they couldn't have reduced it some more, or at least rounded the top and bottom edges to keep it more snag free.

Smokeaire01

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
I agree, that camera hump seems awfully big and squared off....too bad they couldn't have reduced it some more, or at least rounded the top and bottom edges to keep it more snag free.
I'm not a fan of the camera hump either. Maybe there are new camera "stuff" in there that need the room.

srvctec

May 29, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know if Verizon usually gets the new Pixel phones as soon as they are released? I've had Samsung Note phones since the Note 2 and am done with them (still using my N8 I got release weekend in 2017).

I've never really looked at Pixels seriously until now so I have no idea if Verizon gets them right away when released or not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aitana135332