Google Pixel XL - Preorder /order/shipping thread

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Actually, Google does not do the shipping; they use an order fulfillment company to handle the dirty work.

And, in every Nexus release, the job was butchered badly. I have hopes that that will not happen again, but not holding my breath...

Not sure I totally agree with that. I had no issue with both Nexus 6 and 6p delivery. My 6p actually came earlier than projected date.

miyanc

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Actually, Google does not do the shipping; they use an order fulfillment company to handle the dirty work.

And, in every Nexus release, the job was butchered badly. I have hopes that that will not happen again, but not holding my breath...
that proves my point even more. They are so far behind verizon in this situation they need help. The premise is all the same. That company does not have the resources verizon does, or the customer base.

The alternative would be to increase the overall time it takes to get the phones. Meaning not take verizon's money or bulk orders... that wont happen. I still say this brakes down this way because googel can make x,000,000 phones and verizon takes x, 000, 000 off there hands day one. the rest get sold 1x.

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Looks like my suspicions are accurate: only the black models shipping from Verizon :-(

I think this is a base rate problem. If you look at the poll numbers a disproportionate number of ACers indicated that they are ordering black. Hence you expect to see more references to the black Pixel.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
So, it seems that - once again - Google is screwing its most loyal customers, those who pre-order new devices from the Google Store, sight unseen.

When are Google Store orders going to ship???
Pre-ordering from the Google Store sight unseen doesn't at all mean anyone is more loyal. I'm not sure where you get that idea.

CollinFX45

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
I think this is a base rate problem. If you look at the poll numbers a disproportionate number of ACers indicated that they are ordering black. Hence you expect to see more references to the black Pixel.

Good point. Literally the only reason I went silver is because my iPhone 7 is black. lol

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Got the email from Verizon that my 32GB Really Blue is shipping from UPS, but the tracking number isn't showing up in their system yet.

jamezr

Trusted Member
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Verizon isn't going to hold up the updates. Google will push the updates and anyone with an unlocked one will get them and supposedly the ones on Verizon will to. If they don't then Verizon is holding up their customers updates, not Google's. That's like saying carrier x is gonna hold up apples updates for everyone's phone. Not gonna happen. And as far as the 3 apps? Installing a sim card in the phone isn't going to install those apps. Verizon has released a bunch of apps for Nexus devices. I'm using some of them on my 6p right now. None of which loaded on their own lol. Not to mention with an unlocked bootloader even if Verizon would hold up the updates which I seriously doubt. Google will release the image and you could flash them on to the phone to update it that way.

Do you need an unlocked boot loader to flash the stock images? One of the great benefits of unlocked boot loaders is being able to flash roms. Such as Cyanogenmod. Some of these roms offer features and optimizations stock does not have.

But if you have no desire to flash roms then the boot loader makes no difference.

SlappyMcgee

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Ok I have to ignore this thread. Seeing posts from people that ordered after 10/4 but are getting their phones as early as 10/20 makes me a very sad panda :(

njgill05

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Well it seems they charged me on the 14th, but I've yet to see any ship notification or update to my order in the google store. I ordered through Fi on the 4th so I'm hoping this means it will ship a little early as they don't charge until it ships. Wish there was a bit more information though.

stockandroidguy

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Well it seems they charged me on the 14th, but I've yet to see any ship notification or update to my order in the google store. I ordered through Fi on the 4th so I'm hoping this means it will ship a little early as they don't charge until it ships. Wish there was a bit more information though.

Ordered as well through Fi said would ship by the 20th only got one charge and that dropped off quite a while ago

MRW1215

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Ordered mine via Google on day one, haven't seen anything it's shipped yet. I took the lowest shipping option, though (I think there was a free shipping option?), so my estimate for arrival has always been 10/26-10/28. Which I'm fine with.

What concerns me, though, is that when I preordered, I had to call my bank because it was declining my card, and had to tell them to approve the charge. But that was only Google doing a temporary hold, and the funds have since been released. So, I'm worried that when they go to charge my card, it will decline again, and I'll have to call my bank again and reapprove the charge. So, I'm kind of stressing myself out trying to keep an eye on things so that I don't overlook any notice that my card was declined and can get things resolved ASAP. But I don't know when my order will even get charged. @_@

Novastar55

Oct 18, 2016
Visit site
Got the email from Verizon that my 32GB Really Blue is shipping from UPS, but the tracking number isn't showing up in their system yet.

And what was your order date? Mine was 10/7 and still no email....

All the glowing reviews coming out today don't make the wait any easier!

Last edited:

jermehr

Oct 18, 2016
Visit site
This all seems to be somewhat against what I have read.
First. several mods have posted that, yes nothing from verizon comes preloaded on the phone. But as soon as you put the vzw sin card in the phone updates and pushed (in this case we assume go90, my verizon and vzw message). So even if you get the phone via google, the same result. I bet that even the phones from verizon will arrive without those apps, until you activate the sim.

Second it has also been said and confirmed that all updates for the pixel will be pushed out at the same time. I don't believe you will see any delay. But what may happen is that behind the scenes after google is done, verizon may drag there feet delaying the update, then in a unified front you will see the update get pushed. So for example if this was a nexus device, and the update is done on 1-1-2017, then the update is pushed in 1-1-17. but now with verizon, it may go to them and be pushed back to 2-2-17. we wouldnt know because they will push out the unified update in 2-2-17.

I get the bootloader/rooting/roms part. The verizon verzion will not have this ability and if you are one to do this then the only recourse is unlocked. But what if google decided to nullify this by releasing all updates first thru the pixel. I assume the benifit of rooting/roming is to be able to flash it ahead of the update. but what if that didnt happen. I am sure flashiing for some people will have further benefits but that may no longer be one of them.

Engadget's review confirms your point about the apps:

"I tossed a Verizon SIM into one of my review units during the setup process, and wouldn't you know it -- the phone started downloading three Verizon apps from the Play Store."

https://www.engadget.com/2016/10/18/google-pixel-and-pixel-xl-review/

That's irritating, but not the end of the world since I'll just uninstall them (except myVerizon, which is pretty useful and I would download anyway.)

Last edited:

dvniel

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
I feel really bad for Google Store orders because you would just think they'd be the first off the line. It reminds me of the fiasco with the Nexus 6 White 64GB, all of the first wave orders just watched everyone else get theirs. I've been a Google loyalist since the Nexus One but it only made sense for me to go through Verizon. I don't care about the 3 bloatware apps because they can be uninstalled (its not 2010 anymore), I don't care about the bootloader I'm just glad Verizon is getting a near-vanilla install. Lastly, Verizon is the only carrier that can suit my needs... it penetrates the buildings I work in better, and I won't use Project-Fi to its fullest potential because of the secured WiFi, and lack of open WiFi around me.

So Verizon store it was.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itay85