cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Will a go phone bought at best buy work with an att sim card? Non-smartphone from go phone.

Thanks! :)

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Yes. Att and most retailers won't let you buy a gophone to replace a contract phone.

What do you mean? I would just buy it and pop the SIM inside. Its going to be a hold over and backup phone to my Smartphone. More than likely an SIII.

Sorry I am a brand new ATT customer. Sorry if the questions seem stupid! :p

Cheers!

dchawk81

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
I have a GoPhone flip as a backup to my Captivate. It works fine with a StraightTalk SIM. An AT&T SIM should be no different.

I don't know what, if any, roaming situations might be affected though.

Reactions: cgardnervt

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all of the info guys! Sorry I know it sounds like a dumb question but I am new to ATT. Now that I know this I will be getting a backup/hold over phone soon!

UnfocusedHTC

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Please don't comment on what you don't know. How can they stop you from buying a prepaid phone?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums

If they know your going to use it on a contract line they can refuse the sale. Also I know this because I sell at&t and Verizon for a living. It's like coming into my store and trying to buy one to replace your contract phone. I make no money on my paycheck for that sale because it isn't being set up as prepaid. I really hate it when people effect my lively hood. If I had an option to work else where I would.

Last edited:

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
If they know your going to use it on a contract line they can refuse the sale. Also I know this because I sell at&t and Verizon for a living. It's like coming into my store and trying to buy one to replace your contract phone. I make no money on my paycheck for that sale because it isn't being set up as prepaid. I really hate it when people effect my lively hood. If I had an option to work else where I would.

Yeah well after walking into my local ATT store this morning they said I can buy any GoPhone and just pop my SIM card in for me. Not everyone thinks like you do I guess. You would be one single reason why I wouldn't shop at where ever you work.

SO your wrong. ATT WILL sell me a GoPhone and even set it up on my new ATT line until the smartphone comes out that I would like to use my upgrade for.

aokusman1

May 31, 2010
Visit site

If you dont make any money from selling go phones why do you sell it then? How can you stop a customer from buying it to replace a contract phone anyway.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums

UnfocusedHTC

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I sorry that I'm trying to support my family. I have a wife and 9 month old and people like you make it hard for me to survive. Sorry that I'm trying to be a good father and husband. Maybe ill change my mind and go live on the street.

Last edited:

UnfocusedHTC

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Also if you read what I said is yes you can use a gophone. Is just stated that most not all retailers won't let you. If you happened to fond someone who will let you do it great for you. So don't make me a person who has worked for a living and had nothing handed to me look like the big bad man stomping on your dreams. I'm just telling the truth that I know for where I am at.

Zhara

Queendroid
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
If me caring about my family makes me a troll well so be it. It's hard enough to support a family in this crap economy.

Oh good grief. You're being overly dramatic. He is not ruining your life by buying a go phone. I sure as hell wouldn't buy an expensive phone for use solely as a backup. :rolleyes:

UnfocusedHTC

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Oh good grief. You're being overly dramatic. He is not ruining your life by buying a go phone. I sure as hell wouldn't buy an expensive phone for use solely as a backup. :rolleyes:

He may not personally. Howevee when people on my local area do that's what effects my business.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Also if you read what I said is yes you can use a gophone. Is just stated that most not all retailers won't let you. If you happened to fond someone who will let you do it great for you. So don't make me a person who has worked for a living and had nothing handed to me look like the big bad man stomping on your dreams. I'm just telling the truth that I know for where I am at.

By most retailers, are you referring to corporate stores and those annoying "authorized retailers"?

I doubt the salesperson at a Walmart is trained to ask customers "are you buying this GoPhone to use on a postpaid line?"

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

dchawk81

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site

You must be one of those clueless salesmen everyone hates for lying to them.

Retailers don't give a crap what phone you use on a contract; it's the contract they're interested in. Hell they'd love not having to subsidize your phone AND get you locked in. That's a double win for them.

As a salesman of course you'd hate it but refusing the sale is your own turdiness creeping up...not policy being upheld.

Last edited:

UnfocusedHTC

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
You must be one of those clueless salesmen everyone hates for lying to them.

Retailers don't give a crap what phone you use on a contract; it's the contract they're interested in. Hell they'd love not having to subsidize your phone AND get you locked in. That's a double win for them.

As a salesman of course you'd hate it but refusing the sale is your own turdiness creeping up...not policy being upheld.

What reason would I have for lying to a customer? That would only ruin my business and put me in the poor house for sure. Hell I don't even want to be in retail. However I do my job to the best of ny ability to make sure my family is taken care of.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvagmailaccounts