GPS while in airplane mode?

m0nti13

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
because in the RF world, one reciever ABSOLUTELY can effect another. i see it everyday. think rabbit ears.

I don't really understand... The regression or gain of signal of the rabbit ear antenea are effected by physically changing the shape/size/material, but unless you are impaling your phone onto the antennas of the plane, i don't see how your example fits... If I put two radios next to each other, they will receive the same signal strength as if only one is present, until I start physically playing with them and thus become part of the antenna myself...

I would love to know more though if you have examples/links to info of how proximity effects receivers, besides the obvious barrier blockage, because my experience is not on the receiver side of the signal.

And I have you beat by a few ears, so no grandpa jokes toward me either.. ;)

m0nti13

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
As to the original question, my wife's phone is the fascinate, so I can try some things tomorrow. Have you tried any specific GPS apps that track satellites, without the need of maps... Thinking "GPS test" or "GPS status" in the market? I've tried this on my DX and the GPS radio stays on in airplane mode... Maybe a quick test could be to turn on airplane mode and then go into settings and toggle the "use GPS satellites" box afterward... Just a thought... Is is always possible Samsung messed it up though, not a thought particularly out of character. We are still waiting for Froyo from them...

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
As to the original question, my wife's phone is the fascinate, so I can try some things tomorrow. Have you tried any specific GPS apps that track satellites, without the need of maps... Thinking "GPS test" or "GPS status" in the market? I've tried this on my DX and the GPS radio stays on in airplane mode... Maybe a quick test could be to turn on airplane mode and then go into settings and toggle the "use GPS satellites" box afterward... Just a thought... Is is always possible Samsung messed it up though, not a thought particularly out of character. We are still waiting for Froyo from them...

Now that is interesting.
I tried it when I first saw this thread, using GPS status, it would not pick up any satellites in 'airplane mode'.
I just tried it again, and the GPS works fine in airplane mode. :confused:

Oddly, what I found was. If I run GPS status in the foreground, then switch to 'airplane mode' while GPS status is running, the GPS keeps working. I tried a couple of different GPS apps at that point that work offline, and they are fine .

But, if at any time while in airplane mode, I stop running the GPS apps, or the phone goes to sleep, the GPS is stops working until I turn off airplane mode.

Wierd.

Using EB01 anyway.

skiddingus

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site

I have tried various applications. I am sure the gps is disable when in airplane mode. If someone figures out how to hack that, I'll be first in line to try it.

skiddingus

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Moot point. Airlines (at one time) approved the use of GPS receivers. I have not heard that they changed their minds on that.

And now you can use WiFi onboard some planes for a fee. It is all about the $$$$.

The GPS is turned off because the Samsung programers linked it to the flight mode, likely just to be on the 'safe' side or out of ignorance.

BTW, the LCD displays and backlights on those laptop computers onboard radiate far in excess of what a GPS reciever would unintentionally radiate.

I second everything here. I know a little about this stuff. I'm a EE. I know far less about hacking my Android to work on a plane although I do know it is safe to do so.

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
I second everything here. I know a little about this stuff. I'm a EE. I know far less about hacking my Android to work on a plane although I do know it is safe to do so.

Actually, I am working in a 3 meter EMC chamber at this moment. :p

But my Samsung is on a shelf outside the door because it does leak in ahead of the preamps. :D

JDR92

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site
This is something I hate about this phone. I was recently in Central America and had the phone on airplane mode 100% of the time in order to prohibit receiving calls or texts that I could be charged for. I used Wi-Fi when available to connect to the internet, which worked out great.

However, I was hoping to use the GPS with cached data of Google Maps. Before the trip I zoomed in on specific areas were I'd be so it would be loaded up on Google Maps without having to connect to mobile data. My brother, using his Incredible, did the same. His phone successfully got a GPS lock using Airplane mode within a couple of minutes.....mine never got one. Another -1 to Samsung (and GPS still takes a heck of a long time to lock on, even with the newest OTA update).

I will look into the atlas-type maps in the Market, that would be interesting.

skiddingus

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
This is something I hate about this phone. I was recently in Central America and had the phone on airplane mode 100% of the time in order to prohibit receiving calls or texts that I could be charged for. I used Wi-Fi when available to connect to the internet, which worked out great.

However, I was hoping to use the GPS with cached data of Google Maps. Before the trip I zoomed in on specific areas were I'd be so it would be loaded up on Google Maps without having to connect to mobile data. My brother, using his Incredible, did the same. His phone successfully got a GPS lock using Airplane mode within a couple of minutes.....mine never got one. Another -1 to Samsung (and GPS still takes a heck of a long time to lock on, even with the newest OTA update).

I will look into the atlas-type maps in the Market, that would be interesting.

I was recently in Mexico and I had turned my phone to airplane mode to avoid text messages and data charges. I wanted to use my GPS but it was dead for the entire trip. Thanks Samsung.

canonmaster

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
Stand by to be corrected. The US DOD GPS network consists of 24, there are an extra 3 spare, satellites in Low Earth Orbit (about 26000km) in 6 groups of 4. The design required that at any point on earth you are guaranteed to be able to see 6 at any time. 4 are needed for a 3D fix. The satellites broadcast their unique satellite number in a pseudorandom code to prevent spoofing. They also send the time from their 4 synchronised atomic clocks and an almanac that say where that satellite and the other 23 are in space. From this, the GPS receiver can deduce the atomic clock time and its position relative to the satellites. A-GPS (Assisted) GPS uses the mobile data network, if available, to get the time from an NTP Time server in the same way as a Windows Desktop/Laptop does. It just help the GPS receiver to get an accurate time stamp.

Sheepdog Elite

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Did you just stop in to correct a thread that's almost 6 years old AND make sure to sound like a snot nosed, know it all, kid?....... Guess I can turn off notifications for this one now.....

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome