kenjd

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I don't know whats going on but my gps keeps coming on (icon in the notification bar) very often and it seems to be for no reason,and it's draining my battery. I haven't changed anything nor am I using any new gps based apps. This just started the other day. Of course I turned the gps off to save my battery but it's never been a issue before. Can anyone help me out?

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
If you have GPS turned off -the only reason it should come on is for 911. Even if you have a location app that uses it it should not come on by itself. Double check youe location/privacy settings.

kenjd

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
thanks, I guess I worded it wrong. I turned it off because it keeps coming on and it seems for no reason. I have never had this issue before and have always left my gps on in the past.

ghess517

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Maps application seems to stay on in my inc. GPS is off, and if I go in and kill maps. Pops right back up. ? Traffic light widget seems to be keeping it on. I've never downloaded any such widget.

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
thanks, I guess I worded it wrong. I turned it off because it keeps coming on and it seems for no reason. I have never had this issue before and have always left my gps on in the past.

You did - you just did not notice it. If the GPS is on then the Weather widget, Browser, Facebook, Twitter, Google+, etc will all tap the GPS for location at intervals. Turning it off blocks the GPS call and in the case of the Weather widget uses the rougher cell tower location.

Personally, I'm a radio fascist and only turn on the radios when I need them and turn them off when I don't. The Power widget is great for this.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WyattEarp