Groove IP settings with Optimus T

mn1968

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Curious if anybody has Groove IP running smoothly on an Optimus T. I switched to the $30 5GB 4G data plan from T-Mobile and have installed Groove IP. Basic functionality works but when I talk the person on the other end says I cut in & out. I'm slowly tweaking this and getting it better. Also, when I initiate a call about 30 seconds into it the screen goess black and I lose all functionality of the phone. Once this happens I have to wait a few minutes for the call to terminate...all the while I can do NOTING on the phone. If anyone has some setting to share I'd appreciate greatly.

Thanks,

fratermus

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I suspect the OptT lacks sufficient CPU horsepower to run VOIP smoothly. I have not read of anyone getting Groove to work well on our devices. Would love to be wrong on this.

mn1968

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Considering that I am a complete smartphone noob I could be way off base, but it appears to be more of a conflict rather than not enough CPU power. If CPU power is the cause then the developer should list a "minimum requirements" to use the app successfully. At this point the only recommendation is to have a fast data connection. Nothing else is listed on the Market or the developer's site.

Turducken

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
I use GrooveIP without any issues over WiFi. Except that incoming calls won't ring before going to voicemail.

Are you using GrooveIP with your data plan? If so, I wouldn't be surprised if TMO is restricting you. Some carriers strictly forbid VOIP on their data network. Best to contact TMO to be sure.
First test it vs WiFi to confirm if it's network or software/hardware related.

As for the loosing functionality when the screen goes black, I'm using CM7 and don't have this issue. Try enabling the "search button hangup" hack in GrooveIP.

IMO VOIP on Android is very immature. I've tried SIPDroid with pbexes, sipgate, etc. I wouldn't rely on it, in fact I use a dedicated ATA at home.

mn1968

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
The problem with the screen going black was due to my phone display setting. I had the screen set to turn off after 30 seconds. When I change it to 10 minutes or more, then the screen doesn't black out ( I still need to select the ?Keep Screen On? option within Groove IP settings otherwise I will still get the screen blackout issue (likely due to the phone's proximity sensor not jiving with Groove IP).

The only real problems now are:
1. My voice cuts out (not much but enough to be annoying), The Groove developer gave some settings tips but they haven't produced the hoped for results.

2. For testing purposes I called my work voicemail to leave messages then listen first hand to the voice quality/dropouts. However, I've discovered that sometimes I get the full greeting, sometimes a partial greeting, and other times no greeting nor the option to leave a message...just dead air. There is an obvious delay that I can't seem to work out.

These issues persist whether wi-fi or data connection. If you don't mind sharing, Turducken, what are the settings you use for Grove?

As it stands now I could use Groove IP as an emergency backup plan but not as someting I feel confident using full time.

P.S. Just tested an incoming call over wi-fi...Groove did not ring until voicemail had already picked up. Very interesting as all my data tests worked.

Turducken

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
The problem with the screen going black was due to my phone display setting. I had the screen set to turn off after 30 seconds. When I change it to 10 minutes or more, then the screen doesn't black out ( I still need to select the ?Keep Screen On? option within Groove IP settings otherwise I will still get the screen blackout issue (likely due to the phone's proximity sensor not jiving with Groove IP).

I remember a similar issue when using an official LG rom with Skype. Since using CM7, when my screen goes black (as it should) I hit the back button or shake it to wake it up. I know our proximity sensor is bugged but for whatever reason CM7 has resolved the above issue for me.

The only real problems now are:
1. My voice cuts out (not much but enough to be annoying), The Groove developer gave some settings tips but they haven't produced the hoped for results.

2. For testing purposes I called my work voicemail to leave messages then listen first hand to the voice quality/dropouts. However, I've discovered that sometimes I get the full greeting, sometimes a partial greeting, and other times no greeting nor the option to leave a message...just dead air. There is an obvious delay that I can't seem to work out.

These issues persist whether wi-fi or data connection.

People have been screaming for Google to issue a Quality of Service guarantee like other VOIP providers but nothing has come of it. Since it's free it's hard to complain IMO. The inability to change codecs is also an issue.
Since you've ruled out network it's down to Google or your phone. If you're rooted with a custom recovery I suggest you try CM7 and overclock. I'm currently running at 480/748 without issue.

If you don't mind sharing, Turducken, what are the settings you use for Grove?

I changed Audio/Echo Settings. I lowered the speaker volume and increased the Mic gain. My issues were echo and people saying I sounded faint. Playing with these settings solved it.
Other settings were ringtone and dtmf. Nothing related to call quality.

As it stands now I could use Groove IP as an emergency backup plan but not as someting I feel confident using full time.

When necessary it subsidizes my plan minutes. That's all I use it for.

mn1968

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
After playing with all the various settings in Groove IP for the past week I have decided that this app just isn?t there yet. The fact that there are sooo many settings and trouble shooting tweaks leads me to believe that there are obvious problems with the app that are just being ?bandaged?. I am not a programmer or developer but I believe that a truly well written app (especially a paid one) should just work. Of course I will keep up with all the updates because $5 (as of this post) for an app that gives you virtually unlimited free calls is well worth the price. Hopefully the app will mature.

lowetax

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
After playing with all the various settings in Groove IP for the past week I have decided that this app just isn?t there yet. The fact that there are sooo many settings and trouble shooting tweaks leads me to believe that there are obvious problems with the app that are just being ?bandaged?. I am not a programmer or developer but I believe that a truly well written app (especially a paid one) should just work. Of course I will keep up with all the updates because $5 (as of this post) for an app that gives you virtually unlimited free calls is well worth the price. Hopefully the app will mature.

just saying ... installed it on my og evo and evo 3d before trip to costa rica in October.
no sprint service there - but wouldn't use it anyway (rather keep the $1,500 in my pocket !)
set up groove ip on both with google voice. free wifi phone calls and text for 8 days from there.
the app worked great ! and i'm not saying that because they are located 3 miles from my house.
i only realized that after i had purchased it.
now i want it to work on my XRON-ified CM7 on my hp touchpad, except no mic drivers :(
oh well - just saying - i think the app is a good one - especially for 2,500 colenes :) Cerveza !

franquis

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
I've had a lot of issues with Groove IP on the $30 UL web/text plan. I have taken the sim card out of my Exhibit II and made calls through G IP connected to my WIFI at home. The first time I tried it I was so happy... everything seemed to work wonderfully. I then put the sim card in and used the 4G network also in my house. Things were good there too. I tried using the app while driving and it was full of issues, echo, my voice cutting in and out, choppy, etc. I tried some of the fixes in the app settings. But nothing really made a difference. I got back home and tried my old trick again, but I probably had changed so many settings that now nothing worked. I unistalled and reinstalled and haven't had much luck since then. Now I have new issues happening.... the connection to Google Voice is constantly logging on and off, for no apparent reason. The phone freezes to where I can't even terminate the (bad quality) call I'm in. In not so many words it's very frustrating... if anyone has some words of wisdom please send them my way

waazzupppp#WN

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
I feel your pain guys, but I am honestly on a 100% VoIP setup right now. I'm using GrooVe IP as my primary and the 100 minutes as a total backup. I do have the occasional issues of choppy calls, static or not working well while moving or lower quality signal areas, but I'm at about 95% success rate right now and like I said, for those emergencies, I'll just have to call via standard dialer.

For my Groove IP Settings on my Exhibit II I have the following:

Speaker Volume: -5 Microphone Gain: -6
Keep Screen On: Yes
Audio Processing: Yes
Synchronize Voice: Yes
Audio Routing: Yes
Mic Buffer: Large
Mic Source: Auto
Partial Wake Lock: Yes - This will get rid of the issue where the call goes to voice mail before it rings through.

I've totally messed with just about everything possible in the 20 days I've been working on this little "completely VoIP" setup and Groove is the second best option that I've found. Skype is by far and away the best voice system, but you have to pay an additional $85 a year to use their Skype Number and Unlimited N.A. calling plan. You also do not get free texting via Skype so you'd have to set it up where your GV number forwards to Skype - then backwards for out calling. It would work, but more steps.

I think GV - as long as it stays free - is a great option for combining numbers. GrooVe IP is by far the best plan for making calls from GV so far. Much stronger than SIPDroid and until there's a native app from Google, it's really the only good option.

boblu

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I have GV on my Optimus T running CM7. The phone is mildly OC'd to 729MHz. I never have any call quality issue over wifi. The call quaity of GV is so much better than Skype.

However the "incoming calls won't ring before going to voicemail" is really annoying. Is there any way to fix it?

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
I have GV on my Optimus T running CM7. The phone is mildly OC'd to 729MHz. I never have any call quality issue over wifi. The call quaity of GV is so much better than Skype.

However the "incoming calls won't ring before going to voicemail" is really annoying. Is there any way to fix it?

I'd suggest trying the Partial Wake Lock setting in troubleshooting. The reason we have so many troubleshooting settings is due to the large variety of android devices. We started out with almost no settings but as people contacted us with specific devices we added more checkboxes. We've been trying to set the defaults properly for any device we know about. But there still is such a large variety. Plus all of the different roms people can load change things as well.

Reactions: boblu

fikio

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
Is this on 3g or Wifi? If it's 3g maybe I need to alter the settings, I haven't had a good experience with 3g. I am using a different LG phone but I don't think that should make a difference.

I feel your pain guys, but I am honestly on a 100% VoIP setup right now. I'm using GrooVe IP as my primary and the 100 minutes as a total backup. I do have the occasional issues of choppy calls, static or not working well while moving or lower quality signal areas, but I'm at about 95% success rate right now and like I said, for those emergencies, I'll just have to call via standard dialer.

For my Groove IP Settings on my Exhibit II I have the following:

Speaker Volume: -5 Microphone Gain: -6
Keep Screen On: Yes
Audio Processing: Yes
Synchronize Voice: Yes
Audio Routing: Yes
Mic Buffer: Large
Mic Source: Auto
Partial Wake Lock: Yes - This will get rid of the issue where the call goes to voice mail before it rings through.

I've totally messed with just about everything possible in the 20 days I've been working on this little "completely VoIP" setup and Groove is the second best option that I've found. Skype is by far and away the best voice system, but you have to pay an additional $85 a year to use their Skype Number and Unlimited N.A. calling plan. You also do not get free texting via Skype so you'd have to set it up where your GV number forwards to Skype - then backwards for out calling. It would work, but more steps.

I think GV - as long as it stays free - is a great option for combining numbers. GrooVe IP is by far the best plan for making calls from GV so far. Much stronger than SIPDroid and until there's a native app from Google, it's really the only good option.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotifyWord