[GUIDE] Free VOIP using Google Voice and Groove IP

wseyller

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
At first I didn't get incoming calls either. I don't have google chat. But in your google account settings I checked on Forward calls to google chat and that did the trick.

Takenover83

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
If you are not receiving incoming calls, it's likely because gmail, google chat, etc.. is signed in somewhere on another pc or program. You can always create another dummy google voice (they are free) account and use it only with Groove IP. This will help confirm the above.

j.m.f

May 13, 2011
Visit site
Hello, I've purchased grooveIP, but am having a problem. Once installed and configured with my googlevoice account, grooveip connects and registers to google properly (green icon). Once i attempt to make a call (hit send), it changes to a red icon however. So, i cannot complete an outgoing call. Incomming calls do not complete either. Whats wierd is sometimes the call goes partialy through; I will call my girlfriends phone to test, and sometimes it will ring and even show callerid - even though grooveip on my samsung galaxy tab (verizon version, running on wifi) already shows a red icon. When she answers she just gets a fast busy signal.
I was previously using sipdroid, but it was very unstable. Is there anything i can do - such as run a debug build - that would help you diagnose my problem?

Superorb

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
^^ Do you use GreenPower or another data manager? I had to set mine to "keep data active during a call" for it to work. It also doesn't work when calling myself, as once it starts ringing data turns off. I don't think it can use both antennas at once.

eg146

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
Cool and job well done!

I found your post while searching to solve another problem and I'm thinking you guys are gonna be able to help (God I hope-lol)

I have 2 Gmail accounts and 2 Google Voice accounts. At one point I wanted both to ring to my cell and I did that by assigning one account as work and one as home.

Now my dilemma is that I only have one phone, my cell. Can't afford a landline or virtual number and am not looking for free calls.

I want to rid myself of the 2nd GV number but I can't dis-associate with my cell (on either account) because even though it's listed a work and home, GV knows it's my Verizon cell #.

I only want to keep the first GV # and associate with my cell so I can protect my real number as I have a ton of items for sale on Craigslist and other sites and people are actually texting me which would be free through GV.
Having 2 GV numbers with the same cell (since I have no other number or phone I can answer to get the code to change it) does not allow SMS messaging.

To top it off, it's causing the GV number to hang up when I answer the call from the first GV #. I haven't given out the 2nd number, don't need or want it, and it's not blocked or set on Do Not Disturb.

One person told me to get Sipgate and I tried yesterday 5 times but they never sent the code. I thought maybe I had a Sipgate account but it doesn't recognize either of my email addresses?

If there another Sipgate like provider I can use just to associate the 2nd GV # with a line besides my cell? I can't cancel the GV part of the account b/c I'll lose my gmail which I do use.

HELP??? I'M SO FRUSTRATED!

Not even wanting free calls, just a forwarding number for like 20 minutes to get the 2nd GV off my cell.

Thanks,
Seriously Technically Challenged Gal

cmcollins001

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
One thing I noticed when I was first using Google Voice and realized the phone calls going straight to voicemail, I had to go into the Google Voice settings and make sure that the Do Not Disturb was off and also turn off Screen Callers. Once both of those were off, my phone would ring and I could answer it with no issues.

@eg146 did you ever get this resolved? Would you be willing to buy an online Skype number at $18 for 3 month subscription (I believe that's a special rate for existing customers so if you don't already have an account with Skype, it may cost more) and just use it to get the code? That's an option you can explore at least.

mcook1670

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
I tried using it and the call quality is horrible.I tried changing the speaker and mic volume and only gets worse. I've tried everything I can think of. Anyone have good luck with it? I have the sprint galaxy tab.

Superorb

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I tried using it and the call quality is horrible.I tried changing the speaker and mic volume and only gets worse. I've tried everything I can think of. Anyone have good luck with it? I have the sprint galaxy tab.
It works Ok for me, but the problem I have is that it's unreliable. Sometimes I'll call with it and the other party won't hear me, or they'll hear me for the first 5 seconds or so. Sometimes I can talk for over an hour and it works great. I connect via wifi too.

Tracid

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Will this app play nice with Juice Defender(freeversion)? I have the free version and it turns off 3G/wifi when screen is off. It would be nice if calls coming through GV would ring me up or wake it fast enough for me to pick up.

Superorb

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Will this app play nice with Juice Defender(freeversion)? I have the free version and it turns off 3G/wifi when screen is off. It would be nice if calls coming through GV would ring me up or wake it fast enough for me to pick up.
If data is turned off than it will not work. I've noticed that gIP was turned off when I woke up this morning, but wifi was still on. It tends to be a little flaky at times, but it's the easiest way I've found to get GV to work on our phones.

trevmar

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
:(
WARNING - before you pay your $3.99 be aware that GrooVe IP launches "flurry" on your phone, which sends a pile of personal information, including the unique IMEI number of your phone, to flurry.com

I bought it, and the application works very well, but once launched, it runs background processes which send personal data back to flurry.com every few minutes.

If you have AdFree it will (luckily) block the actual transmission, but the failed requests queue up, jamming the system log and probably affecting battery drain.
. :(

Superorb

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
:(
WARNING - before you pay your $3.99 be aware that GrooVe IP launches "flurry" on your phone, which sends a pile of personal information, including the unique IMEI number of your phone, to flurry.com

I bought it, and the application works very well, but once launched, it runs background processes which send personal data back to flurry.com every few minutes.

If you have AdFree it will (luckily) block the actual transmission, but the failed requests queue up, jamming the system log and probably affecting battery drain.
. :(

Is there any way to remove Flurry while keeping gIP?

Astrogoth

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Is there any way to remove Flurry while keeping gIP?

Yes please, someone tell us the way to fix this BS.

EDIT: The maker of GVIP said on Facebook that he will remove the spyware this weekend and issue a new version. Hope it doesn't have a different bug to replace Flurry!

Last edited:

tcat007

May 17, 2011
Visit site
OK I have this same problem, but only from my home phone. My Do not disturb and Screen callers are off. I can dial my phone from work and it rings, but if I dial my phone from home it goes straight to VM after 1 ring. My home phone is VOIP on my home network, why would that cause a call to go directly to GVmail? Of course, the person that calls me most is from home... I guess I just have her dial my cell# rather than GV number unless there's a solution.

One thing I noticed when I was first using Google Voice and realized the phone calls going straight to voicemail, I had to go into the Google Voice settings and make sure that the Do Not Disturb was off and also turn off Screen Callers. Once both of those were off, my phone would ring and I could answer it with no issues.

Raechel

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
OK, I'm new to Android, went the Sipdroid route first, can't manage to complete the registration to pbxes -- 404 / not found, always have a red dot, and decided to try GrooVe IP. Did I read somewhere that it doesn't work w/ Virgin Mobile?

I have an LG Optimus V running 2.2.1, am a long-time GV user created after and linked to my gmail account. Before I make myself crazy trying to get this to work, does anyone know if there are issues?

Thx.

Superorb

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
OK, I'm new to Android, went the Sipdroid route first, can't manage to complete the registration to pbxes -- 404 / not found, always have a red dot, and decided to try GrooVe IP. Did I read somewhere that it doesn't work w/ Virgin Mobile?

I have an LG Optimus V running 2.2.1, am a long-time GV user created after and linked to my gmail account. Before I make myself crazy trying to get this to work, does anyone know if there are issues?

Thx.
It works for me, but the 3g network is too slow to support calling for me. It works fine on my wifi at home though. I'm using an Optimus V on Virgin Mobile.

brotherswing

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I use it on the Optimus V, and out going calls work fine. My problem is I can't seem to find any forwarding options in GV settings. I know I need to forward incoming calls to Google Chat, but the option doesn't seem to exist. Is it hiding? Am I dumb? Any ideas?

jhimes

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Introduction

Groove IP makes things simple. It cuts out the need for several programs or services. You no longer need to use Google Call Back (GV callback/Voice+), a SIP Provider (sipgate) or Sip Client (sipdroid/csipsimple). The downside? It's not a totally free solution. See below for what you need.

devicez.png

Requirements
  1. A Google Voice account (Free)
  2. Groove IP (Cost $2.99)
Google Voice Setup
  1. Sign up for a account if you do not already have one. Google will give you a local number.
  2. Once Signed in, click the Settings Gear icon in the top right corner. Image
  3. Make sure your Google Voice is not forwarding to any other phones. I have mine set to forward to Google Chat/Gmail. Image
Groove IP Setup
  1. Purchase the app and install it on your android phone.
  2. Sign in with your google voice account.
  3. There are various preferences when clicking the Settings button.

Note #1: Have problems with the party not being able to hear you? Go to Settings>Troubleshooting, and enable the Audio Routing Hack.
Note #2: The app is still under heavy development.
Note #3: A update was released to help with audio routing issue's.
This works! I'm not very tech savvy but this was easy and now all I have to do is get voice settings correct so the person on the receiving end hears me ok.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cottoneyejoe