[Guide] How to flash the ZV9 update, for the technically challeng

brotherswing

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I've automated the process, but a pc is needed. Don't worry about your level of expertise - if you were a guru, you probably wouldn't be reading this guide. If you don't have access to a pc, then you probably shouldn't try this as you'd only get as far as stock. Currently, there is no method of rooting without a pc.

Sent from the BACKside of Tapatalk 2

Reactions: rebel69ization

rebel69ization

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I have access to a pc, I just don't understand the process completely so I think ill just hold off a little bit til I get better, I'm a newbie with these phones.

Tappatalkin' from My V

rebel69ization

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Your guide is good and simple, if you know what you're looking at. Like I said I've never rooted with a pc, but I think I might try when i get home from work today. If I run into any probs I will post them. Thanks for helping.

Tappatalkin' from My V

DizzmalDan420

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
Re: [Guide] How to flash the ZV9 update, for the technically chal

Thanks for posting this guide. Was pretty simple to follow. As far as I can tell, the update made absolutely no difference, but I just couldn't resist the "shiny" factor.

kirurus

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site

Took me 10 minutes flat. Thought it would be more of a hassle. TYVM for this!!!

brotherswing

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Your guide is good and simple, if you know what you're looking at. Like I said I've never rooted with a pc, but I think I might try when i get home from work today. If I run into any probs I will post them. Thanks for helping.

Tappatalkin' from My V

If you hit a snag, just pm me. I'll try to help you through any snags. Just remember I'm the primary caregiver of a colicky three month old, so there could be delays in my replies.

Reactions: rebel69ization

kd7e

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site

Newbie question (don't laugh)... Never rooted or flashed a phone before.

Stage 1
1) Reboot into recovery. Check your current recovery version. If you have CWMT or MultiBoot you will need to change it, or this WILL brick your phone. Use Flash Image GUI (or the BACKside updater if you're running BACKside - thanks Jerry, you rock!) to flash Bobzhome's recovery.

So I held down the Home+down volume+pwr button and got the screen that said:

Android System Recovery

reboot system now
apply sdcard: update.zip
wipe data/factory reset
wipe cache partition

I guess I didn't understand the instructions on line 1? :confused:
Is there something that I missing in the recover?

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site

Newbie question (don't laugh)... Never rooted or flashed a phone before.

Stage 1
1) Reboot into recovery. Check your current recovery version. If you have CWMT or MultiBoot you will need to change it, or this WILL brick your phone. Use Flash Image GUI (or the BACKside updater if you're running BACKside - thanks Jerry, you rock!) to flash Bobzhome's recovery.

So I held down the Home+down volume+pwr button and got the screen that said:

Android System Recovery

reboot system now
apply sdcard: update.zip
wipe data/factory reset
wipe cache partition

I guess I didn't understand the instructions on line 1? :confused:
Is there something that I missing in the recover?

it would appear you only have stock recovery. you can just put the update.zip from virgin mobile on your sdcard boot to recovery wipe data/factory reset and then apply sdcard:update.zip.

Reactions: kd7e

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site

brotherswing, i've extracted the stock zv9 recovery here if you'd like to use it in your instructions instead of flashing the update.zip twice

brotherswing

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Oh, yes please! I'm gonna make a couple of changes anyway, and that's a far more elegant method!

rebel69ization

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I used your guide brotherswing, followed it to a tee and it worked! I know if it'll work for me it'll work for anyone! FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS TO THE LETTER ANYONE WHO USES THIS! AWESOME!!!!!!!

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5

Reactions: brotherswing

cmerlyn

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site

I used your guide brotherswing, followed it to a tee and it worked! I know if it'll work for me it'll work for anyone! FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS TO THE LETTER ANYONE WHO USES THIS! AWESOME!!!!!!!

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5

Same here. When I rebooted the first time, it stuck on the ANDROID screen. That was documented, I followed the instructions to pull battery and reboot, worked fine.
Latest build of BACKside running fine, no problems with WiFi, GPS or accelerometers.
Many thanks for that clear bit of documentation. Very well done.

blizard

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site

"The official VM670ZV9 update from VM, here" this sends me to the vm site

blizard

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site

Do i have to be signed in? is it by the sign in button or buy add to cart? im sorry i cant find it for some reason

cmerlyn

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site

Do i have to be signed in? is it by the sign in button or buy add to cart? im sorry i cant find it for some reason

On my PC it automatically started the download, I never left the AndrodCentral page. It may work differently if you are trying to do this on your phone or some browser other than IE or Firefox.

rebel69ization

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Brotherswing, do you know why the new baseband is not showing up anywhere in my phone? It did when I did the update but not after reroot and restore.