[GUIDE] How to root, un-root and rom your Droid Incredible.

aydreeuhn

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
If your phone is S-off you will not need to run unrevoked forever to check just boot in hboot and it will tell you on the top of the screen.

You will do your backup once your done rooting just boot into recovery and choose the backup/recovery option then select backup current.

Ohh and this is before installing ROM Manager from the market...(in other words I don't need ROM Manager, correct?)

...And say I do need to use Unrevoked forever...Should I do a stock nandroid backup before or after installing unrevoked forever? What do you recommend.

...And another question...this has been killing me but I can't find the info anywhere... Where did the name "NANDroid" come from or what does it mean? The "NAN" part throws me off...

Thank you so much again Larry!

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
No you don't need to download ROM Manager but IMO it's a great app so if I were you I would. I use RM to make my nandroid backups.

I would do a stock backup, making backups is a very good thing because you never really know when your going to have a problem and to restore to one.

Not really sure where the term nandroid came from you try doing a Google search to find out.

aydreeuhn

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
No you don't need to download ROM Manager but IMO it's a great app so if I were you I would. I use RM to make my nandroid backups.

I would do a stock backup, making backups is a very good thing because you never really know when your going to have a problem and to restore to one.

Not really sure where the term nandroid came from you try doing a Google search to find out.

Ooo awesome!

I'm about to root RIGHT NOW lol so I just want to cross all my T's and dot all my I's.

A couple more things...

Backing up the stock 2.2 rom before or after S-on or S-off... or does it matter?

And... regardless of not using unrevoked forever to go S-off... Do the instructions on going S-on, in the unrooting, and stock recovery post (3rd post) still apply?

You rock Larry! Thank you!

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I would do a backup before and after better safe then sorry.

If I understand what your asking about the S-on in the un-rooting it does still apply if you wanted to un-root your phone.

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
need some help please! i'm in clockworkmod recovery now. i chose the wipedata/factory reset and nothing happened. chose the wipe cache partition and nothing happened. then did install zip from sdcard and nothing. did i mess up my dinc? help! =(

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
When in cw when you select someting using your optical joystick it may take a few seconds before it starts. Are you able to choose any option? Can you get into advanced options?

You may just want to try to reboot then try again.

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
need some help please! i'm in clockworkmod recovery now. i chose the wipedata/factory reset and nothing happened. chose the wipe cache partition and nothing happened. then did install zip from sdcard and nothing. did i mess up my dinc? help! =(

What step are you on?

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
thanks for getting back to me. so i gave it some time then i saw my screen saying the back button is enable so then i was able to do step 5 with the deleting of the data and cache. now when i get to the install zip from SD card since i want to install uncommon sense it get Please switch to edify scripting to creat working update zip packages. installation aborted. i downloaded the ROM thru ROM manager. any ideas?

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Can you try re downloading using your computer then mount your sdcard and drag the the ROM over. Not sure why your having a problem I have never tried downloading a rom using rm. Make sure the rom in on the root of your sdcard and not in any folders. If you find the rom you downloaded is in a file on the sdcard move it to the root and try again.

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
...And another question...this has been killing me but I can't find the info anywhere... Where did the name "NANDroid" come from or what does it mean? The "NAN" part throws me off...

Thank you so much again Larry!

NAND is the memory section of the phone that houses the OS and other System/radio info for the phone. It's called NAND because of the type of memory it is. It is able to maintain state without Power. (i.e. if you do a battery pull you do not lose your OS) The NAND is locked in un-rooted phones and can not be accessd by the user. The rooting process unlocks the NAND so you can flash ROMS/Radios/Splash screens and the like.

A NANDroid backup is a backup of the NAND memory section of the device, it's been "droided" because it's Android and geeks are funny that way! ;)

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Reactions: mclarryjr

Brett

Retired Moderator
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
NAND is the memory section of the phone that houses the OS and other System/radio info for the phone. It's called NAND because of the type of memory it is. It is able to maintain state without Power. (i.e. if you do a battery pull you do not lose your OS) The NAND is locked in un-rooted phones and can not be accessd by the user. The rooting process unlocks the NAND so you can flash ROMS/Radios/Splash screens and the like.

A NANDroid backup is a backup of the NAND memory section of the device, it's been "droided" because it's Android and geeks are funny that way! ;)

Hope this helps!

I always wondered this. Thanks for the info. You learn something new every day.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Don Veneziano

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Help Please!

Im a noob at this but i have succesfully rooted my phone. now i want to flash a new rom (prob CM7) but im having a few issues.

1st off im pretty sure that Nand is unlocked because unless im mistaken its is unlocked by UnrEVOked 3, correct me if im wrong.

2nd what is Koush's Clockwork Recovery and where can i get it or how do i work it? Im a little confused on that part.

3rd when i go to download a rom though rom manager it says i need to download CM Recovery so i try to do it and i select my phone then i get an erroe message that reads "an error occured while flashing your recovery"

What so i do guys?! i really want the CM7 Rom so i need some help.

Thanks in advance!!

ps- i have also downloaded titanium and completed a total backup of apps and system settings.

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Help Please!

Im a noob at this but i have succesfully rooted my phone. now i want to flash a new rom (prob CM7) but im having a few issues.

1st off im pretty sure that Nand is unlocked because unless im mistaken its is unlocked by UnrEVOked 3, correct me if im wrong.

2nd what is Koush's Clockwork Recovery and where can i get it or how do i work it? Im a little confused on that part.

3rd when i go to download a rom though rom manager it says i need to download CM Recovery so i try to do it and i select my phone then i get an erroe message that reads "an error occured while flashing your recovery"

What so i do guys?! i really want the CM7 Rom so i need some help.

Thanks in advance!!

ps- i have also downloaded titanium and completed a total backup of apps and system settings.

Hook your phone up to your computer in Disk mode and make sure your SD card is formatted FAT32. If it's not, copy everything off your SD Card to your computer, format the card so it's FAT32 and copy everything back. Recovery won't upgrade unless your card is FAT32 and ROM Manager needs to install Clockwork for it to work properly.

Or, you could go manual. Download the ROM you want to your SD Card and boot into recovery by holding down the volume rocker while turning the phone on. This will take you to HBOOT, which will allow you to get to Recovery. You can wipe and reset your data there and then flash your ROM zip as well.

Hope this helps.

Don Veneziano

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Hook your phone up to your computer in Disk mode and make sure your SD card is formatted FAT32. If it's not, copy everything off your SD Card to your computer, format the card so it's FAT32 and copy everything back. Recovery won't upgrade unless your card is FAT32 and ROM Manager needs to install Clockwork for it to work properly.

Or, you could go manual. Download the ROM you want to your SD Card and boot into recovery by holding down the volume rocker while turning the phone on. This will take you to HBOOT, which will allow you to get to Recovery. You can wipe and reset your data there and then flash your ROM zip as well.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the help! I'm going to give this a try after work tonight and see if that works.

mikec8785

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
Just wanted to say that I successfully rooted last night and flashed CM7 RC2. Thanks to everyone on this thread for all the info!

Don Veneziano

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I also wanted to say that i an a total noob at this stuff and i have succefully rotoed and flashed CM7 RC2 on my Incredible thanks to this great write up.