[Guide] Rebooting into Recovery Mode for the Galaxy S2, S3, and Tab2.

Craig Lloyd

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
go to back up and restore and wipe it completely , this is due to the apps , i have also had this in the past couple of days . remove all acounts with ur apps, YES GOOGLEPLAY ACCOUNTS and start again, install apps one by one after its working :D but BEWARE it could be one of the apps u had that did this in the first place. :D

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!
I've done that and it just goes black after it says samsung galaxy s3
When did the problem start? What else happened at the same time?

What model/carrier/firmware?

Have you already done a Factory Reset? (Not suggesting that you do so; just asking if you did.)

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
super backup is definitely the best. lets you backup apps, sms, contacts, call logs seamlessly
Super Backup http://market.android.com/details?id=com.idea.backup.smscontacts does allow you to backup app data, but only if the phone is rooted.
Helium http://market.android.com/details?id=com.koushikdutta.backup doesn't require the phone to be rooted but does require that you connect to your computer and run a desktop app if you want to backup app data.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

Addina

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
I have the Samsung S4, getting the storage space running low message, and am trying to reboot in recovery mode to clear the cache as someone suggested. I'm about to ask a really stupid question. Wait for it....

Where is the home button?

Following the instructions for S3, it says to hold down volume up button, power button and home button at the same time.

I'm pretty sure that I'm doing that. Volume on left side of phone, power on right side, home: big white button center of phone???

When I do that, the phone just comes back on. :(

What am I doing wrong? I'm about as tech savvy as newborn infant. Please help!!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I have the Samsung S4, getting the storage space running low message, and am trying to reboot in recovery mode to clear the cache as someone suggested. I'm about to ask a really stupid question. Wait for it....

Where is the home button?

Following the instructions for S3, it says to hold down volume up button, power button and home button at the same time.

I'm pretty sure that I'm doing that. Volume on left side of phone, power on right side, home: big white button center of phone???

When I do that, the phone just comes back on. :(

What am I doing wrong? I'm about as tech savvy as newborn infant. Please help!!

Timing is pretty important. Let go when you see the Samsung logo.

Signed, a Nexus 5, AC forums app, and Android L.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!
it says to hold down volume up button, power button and home button at the same time
Along with Golfdriver97's suggestion, it's helpful to start with the phone completely off.
Also, press-and-hold the buttons in this order: Volume Up + Home + Power (that way you're sure two of the buttons are being pressed before the Power button starts the cycle).

kashmirired

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
First of all a big hello to you all. I have a Samsung Galaxy s2 and it has been working fine until last night when I was watching a youtube video and my phone went and froze on the screen where it says Samsung GALAXY S2 GT-I9100. I can get it into download mode easily lol. The problem is getting it into recovery mode. Does the battery have to be totally dead? I read someone mention that the timing has to be correct aswell. last night when I was half asleep, i did get the android guy come on and it was spinning. I thought I had messed it up and just took the battery out. Any help would be appreciated. I would prefer to save the pics etc but if I have to I will reset the whole phone.

I did try and download a odin file etc but it had all sorts of other spamware in it.

is there a prefered place to get the odin from and instructions on how to use it? That would be my last resort.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
First of all a big hello to you all. I have a Samsung Galaxy s2 and it has been working fine until last night when I was watching a youtube video and my phone went and froze on the screen where it says Samsung GALAXY S2 GT-I9100. I can get it into download mode easily lol. The problem is getting it into recovery mode. Does the battery have to be totally dead? I read someone mention that the timing has to be correct aswell. last night when I was half asleep, i did get the android guy come on and it was spinning. I thought I had messed it up and just took the battery out. Any help would be appreciated. I would prefer to save the pics etc but if I have to I will reset the whole phone.

I did try and download a odin file etc but it had all sorts of other spamware in it.

is there a prefered place to get the odin from and instructions on how to use it? That would be my last resort.

Welcome to the forums.
The phone just needs to be off in order to get into recovery. Typically, the time to release the keys is when you see the Samsung logo appear.

Signed, a Nexus 5, AC forums app, and Android L.