[GUIDE] Rom Manager/Clockwork Mod The Effective Way When Flashing Custom Roms.

Brett

Retired Moderator
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
Rom Manager is one of the must have/most used applications for rooted users. You can flash recoveries, download roms, create nandroid backups, partition your SD card and a whole lot of other things all within the application itself. It simplifies a lot of steps and has a lot of great features to take advantage of. The best thing about this app is that it can basically do all of the work for you when flashing a rom/kernel/zip/etc..

The problem with Rom Manager doing all of the work for you is that many people rely and depend on it to do all of the work for them. Why do it manually when you can have everything done in just a few quick clicks on screen, right? If you rely on it to do everything for you without attempting to understand what it is doing then you may never know how to fix a problem with your device until it is too late. It is highly recommended that you know (or even have an idea) what your device is doing when you flash a new rom or file. This is important for many reason. Rom Manager's auto flashing feature lacks the ability to wipe the Dalvik cache (affecting the JIT compiler). Sometimes the data may not be wiped thoroughly, causing a brand new rom to not function the way it should.

One of the biggest issues with relying on Rom Manager to load all of the files for you is that it takes away any reason for you take initiative in regards to learning all of the features in your device's recovery. Here is an important question. What if you are not able to access Rom Manager? Let's say you flash a new rom but now you are stuck in a boot loop and can't access your home screens. What do you do?

The purpose of this thread is to explain the process of manually flashing files through the Clockwork Recovery. I will go through the same steps that I follow when flashing a new rom. I hope you guys are read, because here we go:

PLEASE READ GUIDE FULLY BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO GO

THROUGH THE PROCESSES

REQUIREMENTS:
-Your device must be rooted with Nand unlocked. Please refer to your devices specific hacking section in the forum for help with this if you do not have it unlocked.
-A device that has Koush's Clockwork Recovery available for it. These instructions may not be of any use if the recovery is designed differently than CWM so please be do the research if you are debating on doing it on though other recoveries.
-Rom Manager (free or paid)

-Access to the internet (through your computer or phone) to download the rom you want to flash.
-Last but not least, the understanding that you are following this guide at your own risk. Nobody is at fault if you there is any harm done to your phone. Flashing through the recovery is very simple but if not done correctly it may lead to problems with your device. Always do your homework before flashing. Continue on if (and only if) you fully accept responsibility for your device and any problems that may occur with your device.​

HOW TO FLASH A ROM USING CW RECOVERY:
Step 1-
Find the rom that you want to flash and then download it. You can download it through Rom Manager (it will download directly to your sd card) or you can download it from the internet and then put it on your SD card.

Step 2-
Go to Rom Manager and select 'Flash ClockworkMod Recovery'. Follow the short instruction to select your device and then flash the recovery. This will flash the latest Clockwork Recovery that you will be using. It is recommended that you are connected to wifi because the recovery is a pretty big file but it is up to you.

Step 3-
When your devices finishes downloading the recovery you can now select 'Reboot into Recovery'. This will restart your device but instead of going to your home screen after rebooting, you will be taken to the recovery screen/menu. This is what it should look like:​

clockworkmodrecovery.png

The method to move the selection box varies by device. For example, you would use the volume toggle buttons to go up/down and the camera button to make your selection. The Droid Incredible has an optical track pad that you can use to go up/down and click it in to make your selection. Normally the Power button on your device is the universal back-up button that will take you to the previous menu screen. Make sure you check to see what your device uses for it's controls.​

Step 4-
Now you want to make a Nandroid Backup. What this will essentially do is create a backup of your current setup (your current rom) as well as all of your files and settings that on your device (this excludes your sd card). To do this you need to select the option 'backup and restore'. Now you have 2 options, 'make a backup' and 'restore backup'. You want to make a backup so highlight that one and select it. Your device is now creating a copy of its current software state.​

Side Note: If you want to revert back to the previous state (prior to flashing a new rom) then you would select restore backup and then choose which backup to revert to.​

Step 5-
Once the backup finishes you are going to now wipe your device. There are only 3 things that you should be wiping. You will be wiping the data (all of your user and app data), cache (accumulated junk files) and the Dalvik cache (related to you JIT compiler, if you are running 2.2 and above). From the main menu of your Clockwork Recovery screen you will need to select "Wipe Data/Factory Reset" to wipe all of you data. Next go to "Wipe Cache Partition" to wipe your device's cache. Last but not least, you will need to go to "advanced" and then to to "Wipe Dalvik Cache".​

This is an image from version 2.5.0.1 which is older than the most recent version. The menu might look a little different but all you need to look for is "Wipe Dalvik Cache". This is what the menu screen look like after you select "advanced".
clockwork2.png

NOTE: You might see an error message on the bottome half of your screen when you wipe the Dalvik Cache. This message will say something like 'E:Can't mount /dev/block/mmcblk1p2
(File exists)'. Do not worry,his is not a problem. It just means that your SD card isn't partitioned. You are still able to wipe the Dalvik.

Step 5-
Now you are ready to install the rom that you downloaded. Go back to the main screen of your recovery (back out of the advanced menu) and select "install zip from sd card" and then select "choose zip from sd card". Now you need to find the Rom file on your SD card. If you downloaded it through Rom Manager then it will be in your Clockwork folder. If you downloaded it through a browser and put it on your SD card then it will be where you placed it. It is important to make sure that you select the correct file.

Step 6-
After you select the rom of your choice you will be brought a new screen. It should resemble the screens when you wiped your data and caches. You want to select "yes" to flash the rom. Now your device is flashing the rom file so you can set it down and wait for it to finish. Once it finishes (you be brought to a menu), back out to the main menu and then select reboot device.

Step 7-
You have now flashed a custom on your device. Wait for your device to boot up to the google login screen and sign it. Now you can enjoy your device and it's new custom rom.​

Congratulations everybody. Pat yourself on the shoulder because you guys/girls deserve it.

-The images posted were found using google images. They are not pictures that I took.

Last edited:

Brett

Retired Moderator
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
I highly recommend doing all if those steps. It looks like a longer process than it really is. The only time I don't wipe data is when flashing a new CM7 nightly build over an older CM7 nightly build. Everything else, I wipe everything.

Matty_c

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
Thanks so much for this. I am new o this whole rooting and flashing thing but I am trying this on my Droid Inc today.

Just one question... When i do this do i have to restore all my apps from my Titanium backup file or will they be there?

Brett

Retired Moderator
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
Your welcome. I wanted to create this so that it would show how to flash roms through clockwork that would help eliminate the common issues that happen when people do it directly through rom manager.

As for titanium backup: if you login to your google account your apps will automatically reinstall but when you user titanium backup it will replace all of them with your backed up apps. It might sound complicated but it is a rather painless process. Good luck.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Matty_c

Whysocereal

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
Sorry for a stupid question, Ive been rooted for a while but Ive never messed with any roms so this is all new territory for me.

Whats the difference between doing a Titanium backup and just reloging into my google account and redownloading everything? Anything other than skipping the redownloading of a bunch of addons? If I'm running the Blizzard Authenticator app for WoW, should I unlink my account before hand and then relink the account back to the authenticator after I've reinstalled it via market or via the titanium backup?

Thanks for writing this its very helpfull.

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Titanium will also save your state information in the apps you back up with it. re-downloading from the market will not restore any user data. So for example, if you backup Angry Birds with Titanium you will not lose your game progress.

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
I use Launcher pro and noticed it has a backup option. If I do a custom ROM, could I turn right around and make my phone just as it was before I flashed the new ROM..I also want to experiment with new ROM's, but I also wanna go back to what I had too just in case a ROM is too buggy. Suggestions??

Brett

Retired Moderator
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
1- as for launcher pro, it should work as long as you have the apps installed on your phone. I use ADW and the only problem I have is that the widgets need to be added manually.

2- if you make a nandroid backup up you can always flash back to it. Just go into the recovery and glassj the backup you made.

Brett

Retired Moderator
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
This is how flash themes as well?

Do you need to wipe everything when flashing and theme?

More or less. When flashing a theme make sure it is compatible with the rom. Then wipe cache and dalvik (don't wipe data) and then flash the theme.

I was going to include that in the instructions but up until now, nobody has asked. Maybe ill add that as well as some other cool things over the weekend.

If anybody has requests for this, just let me know. I'm not saying that I will add it but if I feel like it would add to the thread ill def consider it.

booop

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm pretty new to all this stuff and wondering if someone can help.
I rooted my Sprint Hero with the hope of installing Gingerbread, and have gone through all the steps above a couple of times now.
Everything goes great until I go to flash the new ROM - I keep getting this msg:

assert failed: getprop("ro.product.device") == "hero" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "hero" || getprop("ro.product.board") == "hero"
E:Error in /sdcard/TastyGinger_2.0_Hero_mdpi.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted.

I've tried it with Cyanogen 7 and get the same result.
Anyone know what I'm doing wrong here?
Thanks in advance!

Brett

Retired Moderator
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
Try downloading the rom on you're computer and then put it on your sdcard. The errors you are experiencing could be caused by a corrupt file in the rom. It happens once in a blue moon but it does happen.

timfrancis2000

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Sorry for this Question,,, first time doing a rom on my evo(myself),,did the cm7rc2, now there is a blue android wrapped in a circle on the screen,, need help in what to do next.????

imokurnot

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I am trying to install a new rom on my fascinate, I flashed the clockworkmod recovery 3.0.0.8 but when I try to do a back up of my current system it doesn't work. It takes me to a boot screen and gives me the error E: failed to verify whole-file signature"
I can scroll down to
apply sd card update zip
wipe data/factoryreset
wpe cache partition
I tried auto and rebooting to recovery neither is working. Any ideas? This is my first try I am sure you can tell LOL I am sure it is something stupid I am missing. rom manager should back up the stock system shouldn't it?

Whysocereal

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
Quick question, Ive got to the part where I wipe the Dalvik Cache, i seleect it, it makes me select "Yes - Wipe Dalvik Cache', once Ive selected that it doesnt appear to do anything, when i did the first two steps, data and cache, i got "Wiping Data" and "Wiping Cache" notifications, additionally I have no "Go Back" option in mine. I am running the latest clockwork recovery according to the mod (my version matched what it said was the latest version and i had just updated it prior to starting this whole process), Im on a Droid 1 if that matters.

Thanks for the help.

*****Edit
Figured out that power button allows me to go back a menu

Last edited:

Brett

Retired Moderator
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
I am trying to install a new rom on my fascinate, I flashed the clockworkmod recovery 3.0.0.8 but when I try to do a back up of my current system it doesn't work. It takes me to a boot screen and gives me the error E: failed to verify whole-file signature"
I can scroll down to
apply sd card update zip
wipe data/factoryreset
wpe cache partition
I tried auto and rebooting to recovery neither is working. Any ideas? This is my first try I am sure you can tell LOL I am sure it is something stupid I am missing. rom manager should back up the stock system shouldn't it?

From what I have heard, rom manager has issues with the fascinate or vice versa.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeFunct1222