Had my doubts BUT..

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Great thanks. So it won't harm anything right? All these cable and charger horror stories from Nathan has me ver paranoid lol

The cable being the OEM one from Google is what makes this ok with a reputable charging block. IIRC The Note 4 used QC 2.0 and called it Fast Charging. The max current your Pixel can accept is going to be 3A at 5V. It can also accept 2A at 9V. The cable that comes with it adapting USB A to USB C maxes out at 2.4A at 5V, or 12W - so the wattage is lower than the 15W and 18W standards indicated above. If the Samsung charger is actually supplying 2.4A 5V, it will still read as rapid charging.

The main thing to try to avoid for prolonged charging are things that are trying to conform to new technologies and are failing - such as the Nexus 5X charger's vbus HOT issue and all the knockoff chargers that you've read about. In general, the major OEM chargers (Samsung's in this case) were meant to be used with USB A to micro USB-B cables and that is an old standard that almost everyone was able to get mostly right. That's what leads me to believe that you're in a good spot with a Samsung type A charger using a Google Type A to type C adapter.

If you're nervous about it though, BensonApproved USB Type-C (USB-C) Cables & Accessories is a good spot to pick out accessories that are verified to conform to the necessary standards to keep your gadgets safe and happy. It includes links, and you mentioned car chargers - there are a couple for $10-15 on there, including one with a dedicated C cable and a type A port that is QC 3.0.

hamsterwheel

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
The cable being the OEM one from Google is what makes this ok with a reputable charging block. IIRC The Note 4 used QC 2.0 and called it Fast Charging. The max current your Pixel can accept is going to be 3A at 5V. It can also accept 2A at 9V. The cable that comes with it adapting USB A to USB C maxes out at 2.4A at 5V, or 12W - so the wattage is lower than the 15W and 18W standards indicated above. If the Samsung charger is actually supplying 2.4A 5V, it will still read as rapid charging.

The main thing to try to avoid for prolonged charging are things that are trying to conform to new technologies and are failing - such as the Nexus 5X charger's vbus HOT issue and all the knockoff chargers that you've read about. In general, the major OEM chargers (Samsung's in this case) were meant to be used with USB A to micro USB-B cables and that is an old standard that almost everyone was able to get mostly right. That's what leads me to believe that you're in a good spot with a Samsung type A charger using a Google Type A to type C adapter.

If you're nervous about it though, BensonApproved USB Type-C (USB-C) Cables & Accessories is a good spot to pick out accessories that are verified to conform to the necessary standards to keep your gadgets safe and happy. It includes links, and you mentioned car chargers - there are a couple for $10-15 on there, including one with a dedicated C cable and a type A port that is QC 3.0.
I think I get it now. Thanks much!

ainfinity

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
preordered phone early on and still is going strong, still waiting for apps to catch up, fix a couple of software issues but overall very pleased with the Pixel 128 would buy it again.

oldtimefighter

May 3, 2016
Visit site
Good review and fellow Pixel XL owner here... On-screen NAV button rock but agree with the disappointing LED notification light.

Who is that in your avatar?

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Welcome, hamsterwheel! I definitely remember you from CrackBerry! Glad you are enjoying your Pixel so far! A great choice/gift!

anon(9708869)

Banned
Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
I came from S7 and I have the Pixel 128 and still loving it. As you mentioned, I don't have any issues as well. Maybe hiccups here and there. What I love about this phone is very fluid, battery life, no bloatware , rarely heats up and priority updates from Google. This is what any phone should be. As far as the Bezels from the bottom I like it because it protects from my palm hitting the side of the sccreen accidentally and open an app randomly. That was the main issue for me with the S7. It was very annoying and I constantly have to remind myself how to hold the phone.

Do you miss anything about the S7? I have one and I had a Pixel for a bit and an XL, then went to a V20 (way too big) and back to an S7 I had in a drawer. I would miss Samsung Pay and some of the other features of S7. I thought the Pixel was too vanilla.

slowtbss

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
I've never seen that on my Pixel, you might wanna give Google support a call.
I've done a factory reset too....
c8a9974d23f56bfc3e7960e7187eb505.jpg
I get this all the time...And not just with Tapatalk

Blumini06

Jun 28, 2016
Visit site
Do you miss anything about the S7? I have one and I had a Pixel for a bit and an XL, then went to a V20 (way too big) and back to an S7 I had in a drawer. I would miss Samsung Pay and some of the other features of S7. I thought the Pixel was too vanilla.

Do I miss any of the S7 features? Yes but I can live without them.

Wireless Charging
Waterproofing
Expandable Memory

With all the said, I gained something with the Pixel.

Peace of mind. I can hold the Pixel with confidence.
Just fluid and never over heat.
No bloatware.
Battery life is out of the question
Feels like an iPhone with Android OS on it.
Clean and no lags.
I feel like I can multitask with it efficiently.
Better notification with messages.
Google Assistant is quick and understands my accent.
And last but not lease, a first class support from Google.

CHILLYWILL_95831

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
No i do t

Hold down the power button until you see restart and power off. Then hold restart until you see restart in safe mode. I think that's what it says. Then just follow the prompts. At least this way you'll find out if it's a rogue app. Just play with your phone in safe mode to make sure there's no Google app that's corrupted.

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I think I get it now. Thanks much!

I've worked with Nathan to explore issues with car chargers, in fact it was my specific issue with the Belkin product that Google promotes that has (hopefully) gotten that product taken off the Google Store. You can spelunk the related threads on Nathan's Google+ page for the gory details. As an example of how thorough Nathan is, he actually took the Belkin product to a Toyota dealer just to try-out that charger in my specific car (FR-S). Very dedicated fellow that Nathan. Benson also weighed-in on my issue.

When using wall chargers, if you are not concerned with getting the fastest charging times via the new Power Delivery (PD) technology, there are plenty of safe ways of going. Using Google's cable and adapters with quality wall chargers will work fine. You won't get the best of what Pixel has to offer (PD) unless you get a PD charger. If you intend to go that route, I'd recommend just buying Google's charger - that's what I did after trying to find more affordable alternatives. The Google product is beautifully built, and is not a bad deal, IMO.

Regarding car chargers, there were no Nathan/Benson approved PD chargers as of my last exposure to this world (pre-Holidays). Car chargers that were previously "approved" were being re-checked and were failing on second examination. Again, existing quality chargers using Googles cables or adapters will safely work fine, sans the fast PD charging speed.

Again, maybe something has changed in the past few weeks - I haven't had the time to stay connected with Nathan on this stuff. Suffice it to say, this has been a challenging aspect of being a Pixel owner.