Hard drive help!

Simon Paterson

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

Technology has rebelled on me lately..

I have a rooted Nexus 7 (original) and for months have been enjoying watching movies via my 1TB portable hard drive using 'Stickmount' and 'ES explorer'

Recently the hard drive began to fail while transfering from my PC so i send it back and got a new identical hard drive. Unfortunately although nothing has changed on the Nexus it wont detect the new hard drive (Stickmount says searching when its plugged in but thats it)

Ive checked USB debugging is on, changed format on drive from NTFS to exFat and FAT32.

Any idea whats happened?

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
If your drive is formatted as exfat, android won't pick it up. As android (thanks to Microsoft being greedy), doesn't have support for that filesystem.

Keep it NTFS, fuse, a well known windows filesystem compatibility program for Linux is built into android and it should work fine. Do not format it as fat32, that is for smaller filesystem's (namely floppy's, and flash drives) and cannot support a filesystem of this size.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

Technology has rebelled on me lately..

I have a rooted Nexus 7 (original) and for months have been enjoying watching movies via my 1TB portable hard drive using 'Stickmount' and 'ES explorer'

Recently the hard drive began to fail while transfering from my PC so i send it back and got a new identical hard drive. Unfortunately although nothing has changed on the Nexus it wont detect the new hard drive (Stickmount says searching when its plugged in but thats it)

Ive checked USB debugging is on, changed format on drive from NTFS to exFat and FAT32.

Any idea whats happened?

Welcome to the forums!
Has either app updated? If so it may be the update broke what you are doing.

Simon Paterson

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Reformatted drive to NTFS (not quick version) added files to drive that have previously worked, updated to latest version of 'ESexplorer' and still nothing.

Drive lights up when plugged into Nexus7 via OTG and 'stickmount' pops up saying 'searching' but thats it.. no 'USB storage' listed in 'ESexplorer'.

Any idea what i can do? / wipe Nexus and start again?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WyattEarp