Hardware Issue? S9 Keeps Rebooting

Haselsmasher

Mar 4, 2020
Visit site
[I figure this is a long-shot question. But I'll ask in case experts here have any insight.]

Yesterday I dropped my S9 from roughly chest height onto a concrete floor. It's in a QuadLock case. It landed flat (not on a corner or side) screen side down. It was loud enough, when I picked it up, I wouldn't have been surprised if the glass broke. But it didn't.

The phone worked normally for a couple of hours. Then while sitting on a table it spontaneously attempted a reboot and stayed on the T-Mobile splash screen continuously.

After a bunch of futzing I got into the Android recovery screen and did Wipe Data / Factory reset. I get through phone setup. But as soon as it appears the phone is booted, when I go to use it......it reboots. I then flashed Android 10 using Odin and behavior is the same. The phone gets warm/almost-hot while going through these reboot sequences.

Between the reset and Android 10 flash I did myself I'm kind of figuring what I'm dealing with is not a sw or configuration problem, but rather a hardware issue.

Based on this story - any educated cases if this seems like a hardware problem?

Thanks!

Jim

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
There have been occasions where updates have caused spontaneous reboots. But usually resets fix that. You dropped it. Now you have a problem. You reset. It didn't help. Hardware would seem to be the most likely answer. Hate to say it, but....

Haselsmasher

Mar 4, 2020
Visit site
For posterity I'll follow up with the results.......

It was a hardware problem - or at least most likely. I took it to UBreakIFix and they flashed it. Same result (constant reboot). Actually, overall behavior was getting worse with time. At first there was just enough time between reboots where you could do a Power Off. But the reboots started happening so frequently the only way to get it to stop was to have the battery run out - while continuously rebooting all the time.

I bought a OnePlus 8. First non-Samsung phone I've owned in many years. I have to say......OnePlus makes a REALLY nice phone!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
For posterity I'll follow up with the results.......

It was a hardware problem - or at least most likely. I took it to UBreakIFix and they flashed it. Same result (constant reboot). Actually, overall behavior was getting worse with time. At first there was just enough time between reboots where you could do a Power Off. But the reboots started happening so frequently the only way to get it to stop was to have the battery run out - while continuously rebooting all the time.

I bought a OnePlus 8. First non-Samsung phone I've owned in many years. I have to say......OnePlus makes a REALLY nice phone!
Thanks for update
Congrats on the new , and they make very good phones one plus. I have 1+7pro and it's great !

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ukfred