Has voice-to-text become almost unusable?

Massimo Boninsegni

Sep 7, 2017
Visit site
Voice-to-text used to be my favorite feature on Android, I really had come to depend on it to chat but also to write messages, in various forms. Now, I am sorry to say it has become basically unusable, so much time has to be wasted to correct manually the nonsense that it types on the screen.

First of all, until mid 2016 this used to work almost flawlessly with two languages, English and Italian, which I could use interchangeably. Now I have to have just one language, because it mingles them, even in the same sentence. Even with just one language, its behaviour is increasingly odd.

First of all there is the issue of "comma", "kama", "karma", "question mark", "period" typed instead of the punctuation. This now happens over 80% of the time, it has absolutely nothing to do with the cadence of the speech, and often times some "," will be replaced by the word "comma" as I press the "send" button, therefore not even giving me a chance to correct -- non-existent words like althoughcomma or indeedcomma appear in the sent message.
This is not a new issue, it has always been present and reported by many users but it simply has gotten way worse in recent times. At this point most of the time is spent going back and removing all the words "comma" or "kama" which appear everywhere, obviously never making any sense from the grammar or logical standpoint.

Lately I am seeing also capital Letters inserted at Random places, maybe some May not regard this As crucial but I Find it annoying. Then there are downright grammar mistakes, wrong articles, wrong tenses, and even odd phrases pulled out of nowhere as last-moment replacement of text that had initially be typed correctly!

I understand that this is a challenging app but the thing is, it used to work way better. Is ther any way at least I could remove from the dictionary ridiculous words like "kama" or "karma" or even comma? What is the likelihood that anyone will ever want to spell those out anyway?

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
justinedwards