Have the itch for new tablet...New nexus10? Samsung?

OUGrad05

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I have the itch for a new tablet. I have a first Gen nexus 7 and a note3 so I may pass the 7 off to my wife or daughter and pickup something bigger.

The Nexus 10 currently on the market is the same one that was for sale when I purchased my 7. Some searching reveals inconsistent reports some saying nexus10 revision is not coming out?

So that leaves the Samsung tab S as the premier Android tablet? Overall I like my phone but touch whiz is annoying.

I will be using the tablet for news reading and Internet browsing and video consumption. I may also start reading books and magazines on the tablet.

Any help or thoughts?

Indoler

Banned
Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1

Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1? It can breeze through anything you can throw at it. You can even do serious work on it, if you must! Thanks to the S-pen. This is one top-of-the-line tablet AFAIC.
Unless you would want one of those 12" monsters I heard about.

OUGrad05

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Is there a reason to buy that over the Tab S? I thought hte Tab S was their flagship and its basically the same price?

Also, is Google not going to release a new Nexus 10 or a replacement for it? There are so many different rumors out here from Jan-Jun of this year I have no clue what's accurate.

Indoler

Banned
Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
Is there a reason to buy that over the Tab S? I thought hte Tab S was their flagship and its basically the same price?

The S-pen makes the Note way more functional, imo.

Also, is Google not going to release a new Nexus 10 or a replacement for it? There are so many different rumors out here from Jan-Jun of this year I have no clue what's accurate.

Exactly. So ignore them.

OUGrad05

May 24, 2014
Visit site
What about something of the 8 to 9 inch variety? Easier to travel with, read on the plane, etc...is that enough increase in real estate, say going from a 7 to 8.4 to really improving reading and news consumption?

Indoler

Banned
Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
What about something of the 8 to 9 inch variety? Easier to travel with, read on the plane, etc...is that enough increase in real estate, say going from a 7 to 8.4 to really improving reading and news consumption?

If I want to upgrade, I want to upgrade good. From 7" to 8.4" isn't a good upgrade, imo. Hardly noticeable.

OUGrad05

May 24, 2014
Visit site
If I want to upgrade, I want to upgrade good. From 7" to 8.4" isn't a good upgrade, imo. Hardly noticeable.
That's a respectable point unless it gets too cumbersome for easy portability and use so it will sit on a shelf more than being used.
I have no clue that would be the result or not since I haven't owned a 10inch tablet.

Indoler

Banned
Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
That's a respectable point unless it gets too cumbersome for easy portability and use so it will sit on a shelf more than being used.
I have no clue that would be the result or not since I haven't owned a 10inch tablet.

Most 10" tablets are being used daily. Thus whether you would too doesn't depend on the tablet but on its user: you. So nobody here can advise you on that. We don't know you, after all.

OUGrad05

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Most 10" tablets are being used daily. Thus whether you would too doesn't depend on the tablet but on its user: you. So nobody here can advise you on that. We don't know you, after all.
I use my 7 daily I just find that the presentation of websites and news is too similar to my phone which I love.

Reading my monthly, weekly and daily subscriptions would be better served in a larger device. I just don't want to go too big.

Indoler

Banned
Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
I use my 7 daily I just find that the presentation of websites and news is too similar to my phone which I love.

Huh? "Too similar to your phone"...? Well, yes, it's going to be rectangular too, of course. Just bigger.
OTOH, a phone is used mostly in portrait mode. A 10" tablet more in landscape mode. Although neither exclusively.

Reading my monthly, weekly and daily subscriptions would be better served in a larger device.

So get one!

I just don't want to go too big.

Like I said: only your experience can tell you if it is. For you! But you got to get one first...

OUGrad05

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Huh? "Too similar to your phone"...? Well, yes, it's going to be rectangular too, of course. Just bigger.
OTOH, a phone is used mostly in portrait mode. A 10" tablet more in landscape mode. Although neither exclusively.

So get one!

Like I said: only your experience can tell you if it is. For you! But you got to get one first...
Sorry to ruffle feathers I just find the reading experience similar between my note3 and nexus 7.
In portrait mode it is a bit too narrow left to right and in landscape mode top to bottom. The tablet has been great and was really good when my phone had a 4.4 inch screen. But now at 6 inches the experience is similar and as I begin converting a lot of subscriptions to digital a bit more real estate seems appealing.

Indoler

Banned
Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
I just find the reading experience similar between my note3 and nexus 7.

Duh!
Did you expect otherwise?
And do you expect otherwise from a 10" tablet?
FYI: for reading a 10" tablet is just like a 5" phone, only 4 times the size, thus not pocketable. So not exactly mobile, but merely portable. Borne out by the numbers: 95% of tablet use happens in and around the home or the workplace. Not en-route.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol