Help me Kill the Bloatware on my Galaxy Tab S 10.5, Root, Custom ROM, Custom Recovery?

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Hello, all.
I think I want to root my Verizon Tab S 10.5, but unlike many people who just want to control where new apps are stored, my primary goal is simply to get rid of the bloatware on the device, and free up some space, maybe make it run a little faster.
I've been looking around here on the xda forums - Samsung Galaxy Tab S, and I must say I'm a bit more confused now than I was before I started reading...
I want to:
1.) back up this device - (Titanium Backup seems to be mentioned a lot)
2.) Root the device - (stuck here because I have the SM-T807V, and I'm seeing root instructions for similar, but not identical models... methinks that spells disaster from the get go... anyone out there root my exact model?)
3.) Do I want/need a custom rom?
4.) What is custom recovery?
5.) Be prepared to recover from "bricking it"?

I have the SM-T807V, (16 GB, wifi+4g LTE Verizon)
Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 2.27 GHz proc
Android 5.0.2

better yet... is there a "Rooting for Dummies" post that would be helpful? As I write this, I become even more acutely aware that I don't know what in the world I'm doing... :-\

Am I going about this all wrong? Again, I primarily want to kill the bloatware and free up some space.

Thanks!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. Verizon likes to lock down their devices. It would not surprise me one bit if there isn't a root process for this device.

Titanium backup is a good root app to back up apps and related data.

Custom ROMs can offer more options for making the device yours.

Custom recoveries allow custom ROMs to be installed. Recoveries can also make full backups of your current ROM, so you have some kind of restarting point in case something happens.

A brick can have several different methods to undo. Restoring a ROM backup is one possible way. Reflashing the stock ROM is another.

If you want to play around with rooting a device...see if you can get a used Nexus 5. Nexus devices are hard to mess up, and since a lot of ROM developers usually use them as reference devices, there are a lot of options.

Deefsail

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site
Rooting a samsung galaxy tab s is more difficult than people would lead you to believe. Having been to many forums and tried many methods I am beginning to think that it is not possible to actually root these devices. My tablet is apparently rooted although I cannot get SU permission. (SUPERUSER)

Posted via the Android Central App

Deefsail

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site
I want to change this as I have now rooted my Samsung Galaxy Tab S. It's not easy and it took me several attempts but I was able to do it. I now have complete control over my tablet.

ell1

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I want to change this as I have now rooted my Samsung Galaxy Tab S. It's not easy and it took me several attempts but I was able to do it. I now have complete control over my tablet.

how did you do it? What tools did you use? I've rooted devices before, but can't get the bootloader unlocked, Odin 3_v3.13.1 doesn't detect it. I'm stumped.

Last edited: