Help rooting Optimus V

RevolutionRed

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I was just able to use the manual rooting instructions for the Optimus S (rage, busybox, su) to gain root access. Rage did its thing. When I went back into the shell, I had root (# prompt). All following command executed without issue. Only slight weirdness was when I restarted the phone the first time after that. It fussed at my SD card - told me to replace it. I popped it out, pushed it back in, and it's been happy since. I installed Superuser and Titanium Backup without incident.

Hmm.. I wonder what the difference was for me? I tried the manual instructions a half-dozen times and it never worked. Oh well. I got root now, so I'm happy.

idbl_fanatic

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I didn't type the exact commands because they are basically the same as the Optimus S.

Step by step for anyone else that wants them as well. Here is a link to the original instructions as a reference:

http://forum.androidcentral.com/lg-optimus-s-rooting-roms-hacks/43108-how-root-lg-optimus-s.html

There are several differences however.

First, use the superoneclick rootshell to get a temp adb root.

Then, do this at the cmd prompt (you should have a # prompt)
adb shell
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /system /system
exit

After that:
adb push su /system/bin
adb push busybox /system/bin

And then:
adb shell
cd /system/bin
chmod 4755 su
chmod 4755 busybox
exit

and reboot the phone. Download superuser and titaniumbackup. You should now have root access.

A little photographic proof for those that care:

Not working here, still do not have root access, there was a su-v1 and su-v2 that I assumed that I needed to rename to su I did this for both, and tried both but neither worked.

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm having trouble in an unexpected place. The V is rooted, and Titanium Backup (TB) says that it has root, and I let it use it's copy of busybox. But, my backups don't complete. It'll do 3 or 4 components (backing up everything), and then it'll hang. I can go back to the home screen, and do other stuff, but TB seems to be stuck. I tried initializing the market links, and deselecting that option, but to no avail. Once in this situation, the phone will not complete a power down - have to pull the battery. Seen anything like this?

RevolutionRed

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I haven't seen anything like that. Are there specific components that are hanging? You could try excluding those. Or, try using the orignal busybox from the optimus s root and see what happens. Or, you could just skip the backup all together and use the original rom that's been posted.

idbl_fanatic

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
The su comes from the original rageagainst the cage download. You shouldn't need to mess with su-v1 or su-v2. Grab the files from the original Optimus S root thread that I linked to originally.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/attachments/lg-optimus-s-rooting-roms-hacks/4305d1289345896-how-root-lg-optimus-s-optimusroot.zip

It contains special su and busybox files, and those are the ones you need to push.

Gotcha, trying that right now, rebooting

**Edit** Nope, still no root access

RevolutionRed

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Ok, when you run superoneclick do you see the ADB temp root message? If so, don't reboot your phone, leave the window open and open a separate cmd window and execute the adb commands. If you don't see the temp root message, try switching exploits with superoneclick and try again.

idbl_fanatic

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Ok, when you run superoneclick do you see the ADB temp root message? If so, don't reboot your phone, leave the window open and open a separate cmd window and execute the adb commands. If you don't see the temp root message, try switching exploits with superoneclick and try again.

Exactly what I am doing, I get the temp root, and am able to set perms, and copy the files over, but once I reboot the phone after doing that, I have no root access

RevolutionRed

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Please don't think I'm talking down to you if these seem like simple questions, just trying to make sure we're on the same page.

After you copy the files to system/bin, do you set the permissions again? What happens when you download superuser and install it? Superuser should be installed first, and when you run titanium backup, superuser should pop up and ask you to grant root permissions. Does that happen? Or do you simply get a no root access message? Also, you may need to reboot after installing superuser.

Micky5298

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Yes, that's what I ended up running with today. VM Rom as base, modified thunderom build.prop, and xionia kernel.

Hey red can you explain the build.prop? What changes? Link to stage fright and other accelerators would be handy for us too.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

ws1088

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
If I want to wait for a full VM based ROM, can I go ahead and flash the xionia kernel now so I can have those improvements?

can someone kindly writeup a steps to root for newbies (maybe a new thread), like the one by ksmith in the optimus s forum?

thanks a million!

Latest posts

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nssimpson