Help rooting Optimus V

icemank121

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Well I'm running the xionia kernel overclocked to 806 and edited build.prop with debug.sf.hw=1 to enable gpu accel for the UI and its amazingly fast! Linpack up to almost 10 now. Overclock is perfectly stable at 806. Also used the button remapper to fix the home and menu keys.

Edit: Forgot to mention JIT is enabled by default unlike the Optimus S.

Sent from my Optimus V

RevolutionRed

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
build.prop is basically an initialization file for your phone. It contains info such as the carrier name, whether to enable JIT and stagefright (which are already in android 2.2, so no need for a link to them, simply enable them), and a few other things. You can basically package it up in a zip and flash it to your phone just like a custom rom (in fact, most custom roms include a modified build.prop).

The kernel is basically the core part of android. All the other pieces are built on top of it. So it being fast is important, and a few other people have made custom kernels that are smaller and faster than the stock one. Most roms also include a custom kernel as well. In fact, a rom is just a collection of all the pieces necessary to create a full OS (kernel, build.prop, theme, apps, drivers, etc) and with android just about any piece can be swapped in and out without harming other pieces (within reason).

Here's a link to a faster kernel that works with the stock rom:
http://forum.androidcentral.com/lg-optimus-s-rooting-roms-hacks/46789-oc-kernel-xionia-kernel-2-6-32-26-a.html
put the entire zip on the root of your SD, boot into recovery and flash the zip.

Here's a link to a tweaked build.prop that enables JIT and stagefright in the stock VM rom. I'm pretty sure it will work, but it's not tested (other than on my phone), so use this at your own risk.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19912863/stockjitsg.zip
Same story as the kernel. Put the zip in the root of the SD, flash from recovery.

There are enough people working on roms here that someone will probably have a "total package" solution within a few days, but this stuff will give a pretty big boost just with the stock rom.

EDIT: IceMank brings up a good point. You will need to use the buttonmapper to fix the home and menu keys on the phone. They are reversed with the xionia kernel.

Last edited:

RevolutionRed

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Like I said above on the Optimus V JIT is already enabled, stagefright isn't.

Sent from my Optimus V

I think you're right. I probably stomped the JIT setting swapping between a half-dozen roms today. Anyway, I know for sure that JIT,SF, and UI acceleration are all enabled in the build.prop I posted above.

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I haven't seen anything like that. Are there specific components that are hanging? You could try excluding those. Or, try using the orignal busybox from the optimus s root and see what happens. Or, you could just skip the backup all together and use the original rom that's been posted.

No, it seems to hang after 2 or 3 components. I tried changing the compression (to none), and messing with the various "wake mode" settings, but that didn't help.

Maybe I'm going down the wrong path. All I'm trying to accomplish is being able to get back to where I am right now. Looks like the closest I'll get is flashing back to the stock setup.

When the backup program give you flack, that's not too reassuring.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
No, it seems to hang after 2 or 3 components. I tried changing the compression (to none), and messing with the various "wake mode" settings, but that didn't help.

Maybe I'm going down the wrong path. All I'm trying to accomplish is being able to get back to where I am right now. Looks like the closest I'll get is flashing back to the stock setup.

When the backup program give you flack, that's not too reassuring.
Are you selecting the very first option under backup/restore?

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I was using option 3 - User Apps and System Data. But, I'll try just the user apps (and update this post)...

...nope. Hung on Astro. Don't think I'm going to mess with TB anymore - on to custom recovery for me. Any caveats with using the instructions for the S?

...it appears that the /system/etc/install-recovery.sh file does not exist on the V.

Last edited:

ewichern

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Just to chime in that I've got my phone rooted following RedRevolution's instructions. Took me less than 5 minutes once I got started and worked without a hitch.

As a PSA: the LG update tool has drivers for the Optimus V under Virgin Mobile USA -> VM670 when you go to install those. You can just choose "United States" and "English" instead of Singapore/English like they used in the old Optimus S instructions.

icemank121

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Can someone with the know-how and an Optimus V make a backup of the default kernel and an update zip so we can reflash the stock kernel if need be? I forgot to before I flashed the xionia kernel. It would also probably be good to have around for testing and restoring to stock purposes. Thanks!

Micky5298

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I made a nandroid backup with default kernal and all immediately after root if it can be pulled from that. Give me instructions and you got it.

On a side note,

I think that something in Reds build.prop broke accelometer. Not sure if its stagefright or the UI accel, I noticed Joeseph post them both seperate in a diff thread and ill be trying both and seeing if I can determine which one did it.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
I was using option 3 - User Apps and System Data. But, I'll try just the user apps (and update this post)...

...nope. Hung on Astro. Don't think I'm going to mess with TB anymore - on to custom recovery for me. Any caveats with using the instructions for the S?

...it appears that the /system/etc/install-recovery.sh file does not exist on the V.

ohhhhhh you were using titanium. Got it. I though you were doing your nand backup from the custom recovery.

icemank121

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
The kernel is breaking accelerometer, I reflashed the default kernel and wireless module and everything is fine. We may just have to wait until the kernel source for the V is released.

Last edited:

RevolutionRed

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
The kernel is breaking accelerometer, I reflashed the default kernel and wireless module and everything is fine. We may just have to wait until the kernel source for the V is released.

Out of curiosity, did you try the other custom Optimus S kernels and see if the accelerometer works with them?

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Here's a link to a tweaked build.prop that enables JIT and stagefright in the stock VM rom. I'm pretty sure it will work, but it's not tested (other than on my phone), so use this at your own risk.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19912863/stockjitsg.zip
Same story as the kernel. Put the zip in the root of the SD, flash from recovery.

Trying to learn how some of this works, so bear with me. If build.prop is basically a configuration file, then doesn't it exist someplace in my phone already? If so, couldn't that file be directly edited (or at least indirectly with an adb pull / edit / adb push). Then reboot and the changes take effect? What's the old Unix joke? "Edit a file, and add a hard drive"?

RevolutionRed

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Trying to learn how some of this works, so bear with me. If build.prop is basically a configuration file, then doesn't it exist someplace in my phone already? If so, couldn't that file be directly edited (or at least indirectly with an adb pull / edit / adb push). Then reboot and the changes take effect? What's the old Unix joke? "Edit a file, and add a hard drive"?

I believe so. I've never actually tried it that way. But yes, basically it's a configuration file. It exists in the /system directory on your phone.

Reactions: GimmeThemDigits

RevolutionRed

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Nope, really wasn't sure what to try.

Sent from my Optimus V

Just FYI, the accelerometer works in the beezy (Thunderom) kernel, so it appears to be specific to the xionac build.

UPDATE: Xionia works correctly if you do a clean wipe (EVERYTHING data, cache, etc.) and use the stock VM rom. So, it's not kernel related.

Last edited:

gfurr24

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Stock Recovery for V (Just in Case)

So I successfully rooted the other night and it was fairly easy! I flashed the Amon-Ra recovery and everything seems to be going smooth, although I havent tried any custom roms yet, just like to have root apps. When I root a device I always like to have a backup plan and noticed that no one has posted the stock Recovery Image, just in case we would need to unroot for some reason. Does anyone know if the Recovery Image that was on the V is the same as the one posted for the Optimus S in their forum? Not that I need it yet but I always like to have it just in case. And btw, when I was flashing the recovery using this method http://forum.androidcentral.com/lg-...ustom-recovery-optimus-s-thunderc-sprint.html all of the commands worked except the mv /system/etc/install-recovery.sh /system/etc/install-recovery.sh.bak It said that file did not exist, which i figured was not a big deal and just moved past that step. Dont know if anyone else had that problem. The recovery works fine and I successfully did a nandroid backup of the stock system. Cant wait for some roms to come to this device and possibly CM7 support down the line...Fingers crossed!