Hisense Sero 7 Pro - Unboxing pictures (no video)

Clarence Dold

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Also, avoid using while charging.

I have noticed that charging while using doesn't work well.
My pile of commodity chargers often don't keep up, just delay the demise.

I have had no problems except with one charger that only initiates a charge if I plug it in to the Hisense before plugging it in to the wall, and that is consistent with that one charger.
Other than that, it charges from anything, house, car, and a battery-pack thingie for field use.

so far, my only Hisense regret in general is that it absolutely crawls if I let it auto-download updates, which it doesn't seem to do until I wake it up in the morning, regardless of how I have set the update and WiFi options. So, I set it for manual updates, and launch the updates when I am finished using the Hisense.

-- Clarence

fotyc

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
With our unit bought last May 31st, the charging port has gone eccentric. I now have a good block and cable and the cable has to be bent/twisted just right for it to stay on charge. I emailed Hisense and got a very quick response saying I should fill out the form and get a RMA and then send it for repair. I think I'm going to go ahead and do that because this port should be better than that, and so many people everywhere are having trouble. Has anybody done this yet? I have the receipt and original box and I don't think it'll cost me too much to send it to Georgia. I worry a little about security with it, I don't plan to wipe it clean before sending it. I did fix the setting on Google Play to require a password every time (when did that appear? maybe because of the lawsuit? If so, great!)

gberpa

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
With our unit bought last May 31st, the charging port has gone eccentric. I now have a good block and cable and the cable has to be bent/twisted just right for it to stay on charge. I emailed Hisense and got a very quick response saying I should fill out the form and get a RMA and then send it for repair. I think I'm going to go ahead and do that because this port should be better than that, and so many people everywhere are having trouble. Has anybody done this yet? I have the receipt and original box and I don't think it'll cost me too much to send it to Georgia. I worry a little about security with it, I don't plan to wipe it clean before sending it. I did fix the setting on Google Play to require a password every time (when did that appear? maybe because of the lawsuit? If so, great!)

Good luck and please post your experience/costs. Unless you just use your unit for games, you are taking a chance sending it in 'as is'. I assume you are running it stock, unrooted. If not, you need to back up and revert to stock or Hisense may not repair/replace. Definitely make at least one full backup.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 2

fotyc

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Yes, stock and unrooted, and there isn't anything on it that we can't get back (i.e. re-download from the app stores). I think I will uninstall the apps that would allow purchases (Amazon, Kindle, Amazon app store) right before shipping it. I no longer have the stock charger and cable, they quit long ago.

fotyc

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Well, they sent me a form to fill out and return, which I did, and since then it's been dead silence. It will soon be a year since I bought it, so either I have to just give this up as a bad job, or harass them by phone...

larrytxeast

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I just purchased one for $90 at a computer forum's classified. It came rooted with the Taktik R13 ROM, which gives it a very "minimal apps" experience I seem to like. (Under "about," the Android version is 4.4.2) As I usually do, I installed the Holo HD Launcher in place of the "stock" launcher, and removed the Google search bar replacing it with the "Power" widgets and "Quick Settings" app (halfbit) to give quick access to settings such as auto-rotate, brightness, off/on for Wi-Fi & GPS etc. I also installed Screen Off and Lock (Katecca) so I can turn off the screen without always using the power button (save wear & tear on the button).

I didn't know about the charging port wear issue, I'll keep an eye on that. So far I'm liking it, it seems way better than the "budget" tablets I've tried before, smooth like the 2012 Nexus 7 was reputed to be but with a freaking microSD card slot included (hello, why in the WORLD do tablet makers think it's a GOOD thing to omit that??) As for charging, unlike other tablets I've owned, it charges with a conventional microUSB cable instead of its own special kind, which I strongly like.

Anyway, the main reason for my post--I am looking for a good hard-shell case for protection, something like an Otterbox for a phone. I can't find any for this, even on eBay etc. Anyone know of a good hard-shell Otterbox-like case for this?

larrytxeast

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Try Amazon. They sell a nice case called i-blason for about $10.

Posted via Android Central App

Thanks for the quick reply, I found it at {http://www.amazon.com/i-Blason-i-Folio-Hisense-Android-Warranty/dp/B00D5Y2XO4}. Not to bombard you or whomever with 8023 questions about every little thing (basically I'm good to go, it's not the 1st tablet I've owned), but I also want to copy some files such as resized JPEGs onto the tablet without always having to remove the microSD card (I would want them ultimately STORED on the microSD slot for offline viewing, though). I assume Dropbox or Google Drive would do that for me?

gberpa

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Yes, copying from cloud storage works. So does wireless transfer from your LAN using a file manager like ES File Explorer. Or you can connect to your pc/mac using a cable. Also, if you're one of the lucky ones with a fully functional micro USB port (not me at this point!). you can use a USB flash drive and OTG cable and either Media Nexus Importer or a ROM that supports OTG like Dopa V2.0 w/wo oc (not sure if TakTik R13 incorporate Dolorespark's USB patch)..

fotyc

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Just as an update - I finally called Hisense cust service and got a very helpful person who found my completed form and receipt in the email system, opened me up a return authorization, and sent me instructions to send it back. I sent it on May 1 (it cost me $5 priority mail, the unit in the original box and some bubble wrap), and I just got a UPS notification that it is coming back to us tomorrow (not sure if it will be a repair of the same unit, or a replacement unit - we'll see). I think the bottom line is that you have to be very very gentle with the charging port or it will fail - I have had a bad minute or two with mine, and treat it very cautiously and so far it still works.

mhans311

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Anyone encountered this problem? I charged my tablet overnight and when I went to use the tablet for a presentation the next morning the screen wouldn't turn on. When I tried to restart it later that day it wouldn't restart by holding down the power button like it usually does. So I plugged it in and it woke up but had a dead battery? I had taken it off the charger maybe 2 hours before I tried to use it that morning. I looked at my battery stats and these are the screen shots I took. Has this ever happened to anyone here?
ejuquryg.jpg
aqepeda4.jpg

Sent from my M470BSA using Tapatalk

gberpa

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like a bad cable connection or a failing usb microport. Read this thread and elsewhere. Make sure it says "charging" before going into light sleep (timeshowing) or full sleep mode (screen off).

mhans311

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
It did charge all the way overnight. You can see in the screen shot battery was almost all the way full and then dropped to nothing. I've been using it for a week since and it hasn't done that again. Just weird.

gberpa

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Just as an update - I finally called Hisense cust service and got a very helpful person who found my completed form and receipt in the email system, opened me up a return authorization, and sent me instructions to send it back. I sent it on May 1 (it cost me $5 priority mail, the unit in the original box and some bubble wrap), and I just got a UPS notification that it is coming back to us tomorrow (not sure if it will be a repair of the same unit, or a replacement unit - we'll see). I think the bottom line is that you have to be very very gentle with the charging port or it will fail - I have had a bad minute or two with mine, and treat it very cautiously and so far it still works.

How did you fare with the replacement unit? Is the port OK for charging and do you know if it works with an OTG cable for USB drives and devices like a wireless mouse?

fotyc

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
We got a replacement tablet and a new OEM charger and cable, it works fine. I don't know about the other kind of cable...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

vickyg2003

May 27, 2013
Visit site
Last month my sero refused to turn on. I plugged it into my charger and that woke it up. It had about a 40% charge, it was not down to 0 as I assumed. Now it did it again today, only repeatedly plugging it in didn't do anything. I tried to power it off without the benefit of the screen, just pretended to do the power down thing. Then when I plugged it in the screen lit up and it said Hisense. I,m worried. I fooled around with this for hours before it worked. Any ideas as to what is happening to my tablet? I worked this thing 8 Hours a day for the past year. If it is failing I am going to need a replacement. I don't know what to get. The pro hasn't been available for some time. I see there is an 8, but that seems to be more of a LT. I need the GPS that the pro has. Google maps offline is one of my must have apps.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karim174