Hits & Misses - What do you like most/least about the Moto X Style?

delta7

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Re: Hits & Misses - What do you like most/least about the Style?

Too big, I want to go back down to 5.1 maybe 5.2 next year, most likely m10 from htc.

Can't take the big phones and I have a note 4 now, nice phone just big.

Photo_Drew

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Re: Thoughts on the Moto X Style?

I'm tempted. The size is take it or leave it. I don't know if I could get used to a non AMOLED screen after having one for a few years. However, if the camera is as good as they say it is plus the usual Moto features I'm probably down. But my 2014 isn't even a year old and runs south after 5.1 so I'm in no hurry.

Posted via the Android Central App

downbeat4

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site

OIS...dear God...why no OIS?? Is it that hard to make the perfect phone??!! And by perfect I mean "exactly what I want". I guess I'll have to either sit this one out or wait for the reviews.

TJCap

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site

I think the size might be just a little too big for me. My current phone, the G4, is already slightly larger than I want and while it's not a huge difference I think the X might be just too big. The G4 already has problems fitting in my standard running belts, arm bands or water bottle pockets so I don't think the X will feasible for me. Too bad because I have had the other Moto Xs and ha enjoyed them.

MazoMark

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site

All the talk about the battery got me to thinking. People are saying that the screen size/resolution + battery size will result in average battery life at best. Let's assume this is correct; if we assume that, however, we also have to assume Moto is very well aware of it as well. The question then becomes why? Why would Moto saddle their flagship with "average" battery life?

The only answer I can come up with is they determined the alternatives all had far worse trade-offs. A bigger battery would have made the phone heavier, and maybe their research showed that Joe Average Consumer would pick up the phone once, mutter "ugh, this thing is a brick," immediately put it down, and move on. Maybe a lesser screen would have done the same, especially side-by-side with the newest phone from Samsung or LG. Maybe they had production or quality control issues with a larger battery. Maybe they determined that most people only need around three hours of screen-on time, and decided the turbo charger would be a suitable bandage for those who need more.

I don't know. I'm just speculating. All I'm saying is this obviously was not a decision they took lightly, and we don't know what all went into that decision. Time will tell whether or not it was a good one, and for some of us it won't matter. Some people need/demand high SOT, and that's fine. This may not be the phone for them. But maybe it will surprise us. Personally I'm not thrilled about the size and the screen type, but I'm withholding judgment until review time. Perhaps in the end it won't matter.

Moto made same calculation they did with 2014 model. They assume quick charging offsets battery weakness. The 2014 model was marginal at best on battery life and it certainly does not get better with age. Hopefully, this one starts out better. If you are at a desk all day and can plug in, it is no big deal, but if you don't have easy access to power, you may need to carry a battery charger.

Anthony_NE

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm currently using a G4 and the 3,000 MaH battery is more than adequate. Of course the difference is a larger screen and active notifications on the X, but this isn't something that concerns me. As far as everyone saying they prefer an AMOLED screen, I just don't understand. Sure, I get the points about power consumption and lack of visibility in landscape mode viewing through polarized glasses, but an LCD blows away AMOLED in every other area. Side by side LCDs are gorgeous compared to AMOLEDs and I'll take that trade off every day of the week. When I look at my 2013 X after using the G4, it's hard to look at. Everyone has their preference. I just don't know how that preference could be in favor of AMOLED.

Darrkman

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
For me the two misses are the size and the lack of a notification light. The active notifications don't cut it for me but that's so highly personal it shouldn't count too much.

Sent from my Galaxy S6

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site

All the talk about the battery got me to thinking. People are saying that the screen size/resolution + battery size will result in average battery life at best. Let's assume this is correct; if we assume that, however, we also have to assume Moto is very well aware of it as well. The question then becomes why? Why would Moto saddle their flagship with "average" battery life?

The only answer I can come up with is they determined the alternatives all had far worse trade-offs. A bigger battery would have made the phone heavier, and maybe their research showed that Joe Average Consumer would pick up the phone once, mutter "ugh, this thing is a brick," immediately put it down, and move on. Maybe a lesser screen would have done the same, especially side-by-side with the newest phone from Samsung or LG. Maybe they had production or quality control issues with a larger battery. Maybe they determined that most people only need around three hours of screen-on time, and decided the turbo charger would be a suitable bandage for those who need more.

I don't know. I'm just speculating. All I'm saying is this obviously was not a decision they took lightly, and we don't know what all went into that decision. Time will tell whether or not it was a good one, and for some of us it won't matter. Some people need/demand high SOT, and that's fine. This may not be the phone for them. But maybe it will surprise us. Personally I'm not thrilled about the size and the screen type, but I'm withholding judgment until review time. Perhaps in the end it won't matter.

I've said this before and I'll say it again.,...If you make the perfect phone then there is no reason to come back next year and upgrade to the next version. The 3000 mah battery was likely either out of necessity being that this thing is already huge and somehow they couldn't fit anything bigger in, or it's because this is in line with today's flagships. The G4 has 3000mah(2900), S6 has 2600, iPhone 6+ 2900, HTC M9 2840. While I wish they would have gone above and beyond....I'm thinking(hoping)this is the year they made the form factor they want to stay with for the next few years and from now on they'll worry about getting those improved specs into this package and might somehow be able to smaller the size as well. That's my speculation anyway.

I personally see this as the best phone overall for the money. I wish they'd have taken it a bit further but there isn't a perfect phone out there yet(imo) so I can't fault Moto for something nobody has been able to accomplish yet.

I'm thinking because of all the complaints of the G4 and the S6 in battery life department and LG even providing free battery promotions then next year we might see a bit more focus on this. But it'll probably depend on what the average consumer has to complain about and likely not so much us smarty tech ppl who frequent forums.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: Now I have to wait!

I wasn't looking to leave my s6 this year, but the Style has me interested. I like the fact it's available in 55 countries too, I remember the extreme lengths I went to for the 2013 model in the UK.

I feel the same except I wasn't looking to leave my G4 .. But if that camera is good (it doesn't have to be immaculate) I just may jump. I have never tried pure android before (always LG, Samsung, HTC, etc.)

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Re: Thoughts on the Moto X Style?

I'm giving serious thought to getting the next LG Nexus 2015... if all the current rumors are true it's suppose to be 5.2".... just have to wait to see what really comes out.

Although I've been talking to a friend that has the Note 4 and he said he really likes it and doesn't think a 5.7" screen is too big anymore... I'm just not sure I can deal with a device being that large in my pocket.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

Its battery is not enough and it needs a bigger one.

Which is the most common point noted by forums and the media. Question seems if obvious to everyone else, why not Moto? The footprint of the device could have easily added a 3630 or 4000 mah battery and had minimum impact on size, but a HUGE impact on increase sales potential (strong selling point) and less battery concerns.

Moto has created a spec that nulls a lot of positives. They should have at least made the battery removable rather than a fixed 3000 mah pushing an 808 with a 5.7" 1440p LCD display. The battery could be the Achilles Heal for a strong contender in regards to perception. Key words being "could be".

Added: All the other displays compared above are smaller and some also much lower resolution. Not really apples to apples comparing the size for those. A 5.7" 1440p LCD display with a fixed battery should have had a bigger battery.

Last edited:

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm currently using a G4 and the 3,000 MaH battery is more than adequate. Of course the difference is a larger screen and active notifications on the X, but this isn't something that concerns me. As far as everyone saying they prefer an AMOLED screen, I just don't understand. Sure, I get the points about power consumption and lack of visibility in landscape mode viewing through polarized glasses, but an LCD blows away AMOLED in every other area. Side by side LCDs are gorgeous compared to AMOLEDs and I'll take that trade off every day of the week. When I look at my 2013 X after using the G4, it's hard to look at. Everyone has their preference. I just don't know how that preference could be in favor of AMOLED.

LG makes their own displays and improved the display from the not so good G3 display. Motorola farms their displays out, so likely a stock panel tech to help keep the price down. It will be interesting how this pans out.

Jocelyn84

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site

I think the size might be just a little too big for me. My current phone, the G4, is already slightly larger than I want and while it's not a huge difference I think the X might be just too big. The G4 already has problems fitting in my standard running belts, arm bands or water bottle pockets so I don't think the X will feasible for me. Too bad because I have had the other Moto Xs and ha enjoyed them.

The Moto is only .1mm wider than the G4. That said, it is a bit taller.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk 2

Bre2tSco2t

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site

Newb question, since this is a non carrier phone, will (if it exists) the FM chip be functional?

WP7Nettwerk

May 21, 2015
Visit site
Most comfortable to hold in the hands is Motorola phones. I like Nexus 6 it is easy to hold in one hand. I'm not interested so much in camera, but I love and Im happy with antenas. I had experience with bad network in work. But with Nexus no problem at all. Perfect coverage, sound quality. Nokia Lumia 930, iPhone 6 Plus, One Plus One and other phones no signal in the work. I believe Motorola X Style has same or better.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

jexx

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site

Once you try stock android, you may never go back to manufacturers skins. It's an extremely smooth experience.

I'm very interested in doing this as well with the Moto X Pure 2015 device. I'm currently on Verizon, with a Moto X 2013, my contract is up in October.

I have never purchased an "unlocked" phone before, not sure how it works? Purchase the phone via Amazon, Motorola, take the phone to Verizon and have them activate it with a new plan? Or?

ultimate_ed

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site

I'm very interested in doing this as well with the Moto X Pure 2015 device. I'm currently on Verizon, with a Moto X 2013, my contract is up in October.

I have never purchased an "unlocked" phone before, not sure how it works? Purchase the phone via Amazon, Motorola, take the phone to Verizon and have them activate it with a new plan? Or?

More like, pull the Sim card from your old Moto X and pop it in your new one and keep on trucking. That's what I'll be doing.

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site

Yeah, you can take it to any carrier and get a sim for it. If you already have a verizon nano sim, you can just pop it in the new phone and start using it.

jlgraham

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site

I think the Moto X Style looks great. Especially the fact that the Pure Edition covers all carrier frequencies. The big bump in battery size is also very welcome. I do wish they had kept it the same size as the 2014 model, but I'll have to try on out before I consider the size a dealbreaker. I was worried about the size of the 2014 vs my original Moto X and I actually prefer the larger 2014 model, so the Style could be even better.

The only things I'd change about my 2014 Moto X are the camera and battery life, but I use portable battery packs so I wouldn't upgrade just for the increased battery life. If the new 21mp camera can provide awesome photos, I'll make the jump, but otherwise, I'm sticking with my 2014 Moto X until 2016's model.