Holy jeez this phone is freaking amazing (Update: Review LIVE!)

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
All the better for bending iPhones with.

In all seriousness though, I'm hopeful that the colloquial "it's big, but still comfortably narrow" will hold up when mine gets here. Not all phablets are created equal, and all that...

Seriously, grab a Note 5 (or an iPhone 6S Plus). Feels exactly the same in the hand.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Seriously, grab a Note 5 (or an iPhone 6S Plus). Feels exactly the same in the hand.

Believe me I will, given the opportunity. Unfortunately, the only iPhone I have on hand is a 5S, which feels almost archaic in comparison by size alone. I should stop by a carrier store or Best Buy..

Drago27

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site
I have pretty small hands and I can hold it quite comfortably, it is more narrow than what I was expecting, BUT it's a good thing. My biggest concern was that it would be unwieldy, but it's not the case. I echo the OPs original sentiments - this phone is AMAZING.

Ticojpunk

Recordist
Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
Does is wash out really badly in direct sunlight as some reviews are saying? This is a big drawback for me working at a summer camp for 2 months out of the year, and needing to take occasional photos and check messages in the bright summer sun.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Does is wash out really badly in direct sunlight as some reviews are saying? This is a big drawback for me working at a summer camp for 2 months out of the year, and needing to take occasional photos and check messages in the bright summer sun.

Within the Review (The Huawei Nexus 6P review | Android Central) it looks like Jerry said this about the screen in the sun...

How is the screen in the sun?

My answer at the BBQ was "Here, have a look!" The display is just fine in the sun. Give the light sensor a second to ramp everything up, and your eyes a second to adjust, and you can use the Nexus 6P in the sun with no issues. Even while wearing sunglasses. Everyone who tried it seemed to agree.

:).

robertopod1968

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
I think it feels slightly bigger than the note 5 to me. But about the same as a 6s plus. Could just be the glass back to metal feel difference. Or weight maybe?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
All the better for bending iPhones with.

In all seriousness though, I'm hopeful that the colloquial "it's big, but still comfortably narrow" will hold up when mine gets here. Not all phablets are created equal, and all that...

Mine still hasn't shipped, but I'm used to the Nexus 6, so I think I'll be ok.

craigrn16

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Damn why couldn't the 5x have these specs at its size. I mean seriously Google. I want a 6P but I hate phones over 5.2 inches

Posted via the Android Central App

bimbert84

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Re: Holy jeez this phone is freaking amazing

I think the Pure Edition has a much smaller profile except regarding thickness.
The 6P is taller, yes, but the relevant measurements for holding it are width and thickness. The 6P and XPE are about the same width, but the 6P is quite a bit thinner (bear in mind the thickness listed for the 6P is at the bulge -- it's even thinner down on the body where you hold it).

Google Nexus 6P vs Motorola Moto X Pure Edition (2015) - Visual phone size compare

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Re: Holy jeez this phone is freaking amazing

Coming from last years Nexus 6 this thing feels dramatically thinner and lighter in the hand. WOW!! Much, Much easier to manage one handed than last years model and I have decent sized hands and didn't really have a major issue using the Nexus 6 one handed so this sucker feels way smaller than it really is.

I do miss wireless charging big time. It was so much easier at my desk or night stand to just pick it up and put it back down with ease. Now I have to get use to getting around the attached cable when charging. The USB Type C cable included and the spares I bought are super tight to where I had to put some effort into plugging it in. But since the Nexus 4 I have almost exclusively charged via wireless so over time I am sure this is just something I have to get use to again.

Hopefully the phone adjust and battery life gets better. Stand by battery is AWESOME but so far light usage seems to burn through the battery pretty fast. Way faster than my Motorola Nexus 6. Hopefully after a full charge or two plus a few days using it that will level out and battery life will be better.

Speakers are way louder but there is a giant leap between all the way up and two notches down. But the Nexus 6 was the same way. just the drop from the highest to the next level down is considerable and if you go 2 or 3 down you almost need to turn it back all the way up again unless you are in a dead quiet room.

Anyway.... Overall I do love it.. Easier to handle.... super fast and smooth.... love the finger print scanner on the back. Just miss wireless charging.. If it still had that it would be darn near PERFECT!!!!

Dlanod

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
It's a seriously nice phone to hold. Much better than the X Style (Pure) which is quite top heavy. The 6P is perfect in terms of balance and easy to palm.