Home button and other functions not working

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Today my phone (One Plus One, running on the Cyanogen mod) turned itself off due to the battery almost reaching 0%, and when I turned it back on, I experienced the same issue as mentioned in this thread I found:
https://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s7/659407-s7-edge-not-showing-notifications-tray-recent-apps-button-settings-button-dnt-work.html

My exact issues were: The home and menu button didn't work, and although the settings I altered in the developer options were still applied, I got this error when opening developer options: "This user does not have access to developer options". (Not this exact error message, as I translated it from Dutch.)
Lastly, I also couldn't open the "Users" settings on my phone (opening those settings would simply do nothing) and if an app was opened, I wasn't able to open the notification tray (I have to go to the home screen first). Oh, and some sound settings were changed (example: the lock/unlock and keyboard pressing sounds were suddenly turned on), but those were easily changed again in Settings.

I fixed most issues by creating a new user, switching to it and then switching back to my own user account (the settings were locked, but the feature itself apparently still worked). The issues that remain are the notification tray not opening, and certain button functions not working. I mentioned the other issues anyway as they, although they are now fixed, seem to be related.

I tried fixing this using the method mentioned in that thread (enforcing a new setup using Nova launcher) but that changed nothing for me. I also noticed it's not the buttons that aren't working, but some of the functions, namely the following: The standard home button action, going back to the previously used app, searching, searching by voice, opening the camera, searching for apps, and a few more I forgot about.

I found a workaround for the buttons using an app, but the notification tray still doesn't open when an app is opened (basically: when the tray is hidden). Does anyone have an idea how I can fix this?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
First, fully charge the battery and keep it connected to the charger. If things start working, you need a new battery. (Discharging lithium batteries past 40%, or charging them past 80%, shortens their lives.)

If not, you may need to reflash the firmware. (Be sure to back everything up first - see Backing up an Android Device.)

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cottoneyejoe