How bad is the Amoled screen burn-in problem?

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
My wife's Note 2 is slightly more bluish than mine and for me that's not too cool, because I don't like the warmish-yellowly-green tinge that my Note 2 has when displaying what SHOULD BE a white color, although neither display, like every Note 2 I've seen has the same dingy whites. Our two S7's having a much improved color temperature and are for all intents and purposes, indistinguishable from each other.

mptp

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
My old SGS3 has terrible burn in all over the screen. No longer my primary device but I use it daily for navigation and such. I first saw the affects of burn in after about 8 months of usage as my primary.

Not that it applies to AMOLED, but my Moto X Pure, after 7 months of heavy usage, shows no signs of burn on its LCD.

robh2

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Wife and I both have Galaxy S5's and we both had bad burn in. Hers was of the keyboard and mine was mostly gmail layout burn in. If I remember correctly we had it on both of our S3's also, just not as bad.

everywill

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
Bought a Dell venue 7840 from Bestbuy open box sale. The screen etched with the initial setup frame, the one shown language options. Those texts are even clearly readable under white, grey, green and blue background.

Currently my daily driver is a s7 edge. Considering I use waze and TomTom go quite often, I'm worrying about the burn in of those static elements such as menu, zoom in/out buttons etc. Kind of regret now. Should wait for the G5. Sure, the contrast of AMOLED is amazing and definitely the best choice for media consuming. But whether the constant concern could justify the benefits.... I don't know.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
One reason especially that concerns me about burn-in is the fact I can't afford to shell out for a new phone every year, coupled with the fact I'm anal that my things being in perfect shape. I don't do defective, scratched, etc well.

icecoolfsu

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
This is a problem? There is a Note 2 & Note 4 in my family and neither have burn-in. Yes, your screen will burn in when you have one screen up 18 hours a day for a year. That's not a real work problem. Who just stares at one screen all day without interacting with it? #FirstWorldProblems

Uselessbass

Mar 4, 2012
Visit site
I have had samsungs since galaxy s2 days, never have had burn in even on those older devices I would not worry about it.

Posted via the Android Central App

everywill

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
This is a problem? There is a Note 2 & Note 4 in my family and neither have burn-in. Yes, your screen will burn in when you have one screen up 18 hours a day for a year. That's not a real work problem. Who just stares at one screen all day without interacting with it? #FirstWorldProblems

One example would be when you use your phone as a sat nav or traffic report receiver for daily commuting. There are always some static elements on the screen no matter how the map/data move. Obviously, direct sunshine and associated heat could accelerate the ageing of those pixels also.

In general, this could happened if you have one regular used app. No matter how you interact with the contents, just like what someone said above, the frame of the app will eventually "etch" in the screen. The process could be faster if the UI uses a lot of shades of blue.

mary beth hale

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
All that means is that you didn't have static images on your phone from a frequently-used application. It doesn't mean the technology isn't prone to burn-in. If you had 25 phones without burn-in, it doesn't mean the issue doesn't exist. It's a matter of use case.

I know. That's why I said moot point for me. Wasn't saying it doesnt happen to others.

everywill

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
Burn in is a inherent problem of AMOLED. For some it could become quite severe within short period of time; and, for others, they won't notice along the whole lifespan of the device. Please don't assume everyone should use their device as the way you did. Even if someone choose to display static image, such as their kid's photo, constantly, that's their choice. If such style of using will cause hardware problem, then there is a problem, there's no way to say it's not exist or "you wouldn't notice", "you shouldn't care" etc. You won't know others' standard of good and bad and you have no right to judge people's way of using right or wrong.

As an end user, there's no need to help manufactures to window-dressing inherent defects of certain technology. Instead, criticism has long been a strong power to push techs forward. Even if you are not suffering the burn in, you should at least criticize manufactures not educate perspective customers to be aware of this potential problem.

tnt4

Mar 31, 2015
Visit site
As an end user, there's no need to help manufactures to window-dressing inherent defects of certain technology. Instead, criticism has long been a strong power to push techs forward. Even if you are not suffering the burn in, you should at least criticize manufactures not educate perspective customers to be aware of this potential problem.

Great point - and honestly I don't get the benefit of AMOLED anyway. It doesn't provide better battery life, has inherent issues as mentioned in this thread (burn in plus screen inconsistencies even in flagships), and makes things look less realistic. Yes, if done right, they can sometimes look "better", but it's still less realistic. My eyes still feel a sense of relief when going from the best AMOLED panel to an IPS panel. And no matter what I do, my S7 still looks more "cartoonish" than my Nexus 5X or iPhone 6S.

RichBrown68

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Burn in is a inherent problem of AMOLED. For some it could become quite severe within short period of time; and, for others, they won't notice along the whole lifespan of the device. Please don't assume everyone should use their device as the way you did. Even if someone choose to display static image, such as their kid's photo, constantly, that's their choice. If such style of using will cause hardware problem, then there is a problem, there's no way to say it's not exist or "you wouldn't notice", "you shouldn't care" etc. You won't know others' standard of good and bad and you have no right to judge people's way of using right or wrong.

I think this point works the other way too. Apple and LG and all the companies that use LCD displays aren't in need of people going around bashing the competition for their sakes.

tlacour

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

We have a Note 4 and a Turbo 2. Both have burn in at the notification bar at the top. The Note also has burn in at the dock icons at the bottom. The Turbo has it where the vurtual keys bar at the bottom. These are almost always up.

Take your Notes, download a pure white pic, and look at it in full screen. I would bet, if you're honest, you can see at least some ghosting of the notification bar and dock icons.

T

RichBrown68

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I posted over in the Galaxy S4 forum and asked if anybody had had issues with burnin, to please post and let us know. The only people who posted said they had not noticed any problem. Nobody posted saying they did have a problem. Mind you, this is a phone that is 3 years old, but it's a forum where nobody has a point to prove.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I posted over in the Galaxy S4 forum and asked if anybody had had issues with burnin, to please post and let us know. The only people who posted said they had not noticed any problem. Nobody posted saying they did have a problem. Mind you, this is a phone that is 3 years old, but it's a forum where nobody has a point to prove.

The S4 forum is old and therefore it won't have the traffic that an S7 Forum has so asking about any problem on the S4 forum isn't likely to result in many responses.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bakky