How can I configure my phone to only delete mail from the phone and not the server?

A

AC Question

mail deleted from the server

I moved from a Samsung Mega 6.2 to a Samsung Note 5. On the Mega when I deleted a mail using the build in mail app it was not deleted from the server. In the Note 5 is now being deleted from the server. I have seen some posts that say to go into mail settings for each account and set the delete from the server option to No. but I can not find that setting. I have 3 gmail accounts that I use from the phone.

Can some one please tell me how to configure Mail so that when I delete the mail from the phone it does not delete it from the server?

Thanks

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Open the Mail app, tap More>Settings, select the email account in question, and then look for an option for server settings.

Also, check to see if you're using the POP3 or IMAP server. It's generally better to use IMAP, so that you don't have to worry about this whole issue. With IMAP, the email app essentially functions like your webmail interface. If you want to delete an email, then delete it. If you want to keep it, then leave it alone--it doesn't get downloaded locally, and therefore doesn't take up space.

Are you only using Gmail accounts? If so, why not just use the Gmail app, rather than the stock Mail app?

Andy Reyes

Jun 8, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for your reply.

Welcome to Android Central! Open the Mail app, tap More>Settings, select the email account in question, and then look for an option for server settings.

There when I go to the settings for the account the only thing that is server related is in the advanced section there are two, incoming server settings and outgoing outgoing server settings. Neither has the option related to delete on the server. See the attached pictures..

Also, check to see if you're using the POP3 or IMAP server. It's generally better to use IMAP, so that you don't have to worry about this whole issue. With IMAP, the email app essentially functions like your webmail interface. If you want to delete an email, then delete it. If you want to keep it, then leave it alone--it doesn't get downloaded locally, and therefore doesn't take up space.
I do not think you understand. I use the phone for quick checking of my mail, but I do my 'real' mail work on the web using my laptop. I get a lot of mail (around 100 or more a day). I need to delete it from the phone to free up space, but I do not want it deleted on the server because that is where I do the real work using the web (as I said above). I think that I am using imap, but I can not tell because it is not something that I can set in the mail options.

Are you only using Gmail accounts? If so, why not just use the Gmail app, rather than the stock Mail app?
Gmail does not allow me to do a 'select all' and I need that when I am deleting the mail. Selecting each mail item individually would be a lot of work. If gmail had the option to do a select all on the search results that would really solve my problems (as long as the delete is not propagated, of course) because then I could do a search for 'before:yyyy/mm/dd' where the date is one week out, select all, and then delete. That would leave me the latest 1 week + a partial week on the phone.

I have also looked at some other mail clients. but I have not found one that has the capability to do a search for 'before:yyyy/mm/dd' and then select all.

Attachments

• incoming server options.png
    incoming server options.png
    23 KB · Views: 61
  • Outgoing Server options.png
    Outgoing Server options.png
    19.8 KB · Views: 61

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I need to delete it from the phone to free up space, but I do not want it deleted on the server because that is where I do the real work using the web (as I said above). I think that I am using imap, but I can not tell because it is not something that I can set in the mail options.

This is the reason why I am suggesting using IMAP. IMAP doesn't download the email directly to the phone--it essentially allows the phone to display the emails that are on the remote server, without having to download them to the phone. Read here for more info: IMAP vs POP3

If you check the Incoming and Outgoing Server Settings that you mentioned, can you edit them so that they match the IMAP settings here? https://support.google.com/mail/troubleshooter/1668960?hl=en

Jay G63

Aug 18, 2015
Visit site
Re: mail deleted from the server

Download Blue mail from app store. Works great. Option is right in settings

Andy Reyes

Jun 8, 2016
Visit site

Download Blue mail from app store. Works great. Option is right in settings
I installed Blue Mail and I can not find any settings that will prevent the mail to be deleted on the server when deleted on the phone. Could you please be more specific as to where that setting is?

Andy Reyes

Jun 8, 2016
Visit site

I installed Blue Mail and I can not find any settings that will prevent the mail to be deleted on the server when deleted on the phone. Could you please be more specific as to where that setting is?
I guess that is the default. I deleted a message on the phone and it did not delete it on the server. I know that the server was updated because it was marked read in the server.

Thanks Jay

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site

Using the Samsung stock email app (white envelope with red @) and having a POP email account (not IMAP);
Open the Email App>More>Settings>LONG PRESS desired email acct.>Server Settings>Incoming Server>Delete email from Server>Never
Screenshot_2016-06-09-09-31-11-picsay.jpg
On a Verizon Note 5.

Last edited:

Jay G63

Aug 18, 2015
Visit site

0de54560b1842b00dbba11f400a3804c.jpg
I've never had any deleted on server when using this.