How can I get rid of this weird, almost transparent overlay on my Galaxy S7 Edge?

Wc5

Nov 3, 2016
Visit site
I've had this phone for a few months, and I've noticed that there's a few very very light (as in transparent) buttons on the bottom of my screen. It's consistent through every app I open, I can even see it a little bit now through the keyboard. The buttons are definitely orange, from left to right there's an up arrow (^), a down arrow (V), an add message button in the middle (a chat bubble with a plus sign on the bottom right of the bubble), a paper clip, then the last button is a triple vertical dot (like the same as the top right in the browser). It's been bugging me for a while, hopefully there's a fix. I've restarted my phone, turned it off completely, etc. with no luck.

Thanks ahead of time

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I think that's a quick access toolbar that you can turn on/off in accessibility settings, but I don't have an S7 Edge with me anymore to corroborate. If you tap on the three dots, do you get a menu? I'm guessing the Up arrow would expand it... what does it expand?

Wc5

Nov 3, 2016
Visit site
I think that's a quick access toolbar that you can turn on/off in accessibility settings, but I don't have an S7 Edge with me anymore to corroborate. If you tap on the three dots, do you get a menu? I'm guessing the Up arrow would expand it... what does it expand?
That's the problem, I can't tap any of the buttons. It's like a transparent menu is constantly stuck there

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Oh! Mmm... that's no bueno. OK, try this. Go into Safe Mode. Does it show there? If so, it's a system setting for sure. If it doesn't, it's a 3rd party app you installed.

Maybe a screenshot would help?

lammy8

Trusted Member
Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
That's the problem, I can't tap any of the buttons. It's like a transparent menu is constantly stuck there

Kinda sounds like the screen is burned. See if you can upload a screenshot, if we can see it then you have an app running, if we can't then your screen has been burned by having it on full brightness on the same screen for a long time.

Wc5

Nov 3, 2016
Visit site
Super late response here, but that was my first thought. I do keep the brightness high, but the static image burnt into the screen is of a menu that I've never been on or seen before. Super strange, bought it brand new as well. I'm not sure how long it's been there, I noticed something about a month after I got the phone but I didn't pay any mind to it.

Nana Davila

Oct 2, 2021
Visit site
Kinda sounds like the screen is burned. See if you can upload a screenshot, if we can see it then you have an app running, if we can't then your screen has been burned by having it on full brightness on the same screen for a long time.

How do i get rid of it