How can I use voice with Android Auto, but not have the google assistant jump in?

Mar 4, 2017
Visit site
I just updated to Android 11 on my 3a, and, as with all prior OS versions, the very annoying google assistant will get triggered at the drop of a hat when I have Android Auto running. I don't need to say "Hey Google" to do it. For example, someone on the radio said "Mohammad" when I was driving alone today, and THAT triggered it. I don't want to completely turn off the assistant. It has to be on for things like voice directions and texting to work. But I only want the assistant to be active when I touch the car display to ask for something. But how do I retain that, while never never never never again having to have the assistant activate because of something the phone "hears?" The assistant is supposedly trained to my voice by the way.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
From your phone, open the Android Auto for Phone Screens app (if you don't have it, get it from the Play Store). There, tap the menu button on the top left and select SETTINGS. In that screen, tap the "Hey Google" detection option and turn off the 'Hey Google' option. That way it will only be triggered with the screen or if your vehicle has support for a voice command button.

Mar 4, 2017
Visit site
From your phone, open the Android Auto for Phone Screens app (if you don't have it, get it from the Play Store). There, tap the menu button on the top left and select SETTINGS. In that screen, tap the "Hey Google" detection option and turn off the 'Hey Google' option. That way it will only be triggered with the screen or if your vehicle has support for a voice command button.

I am feeling comfortable this will do it! Will report success after I'm next in my car.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
It will! I had the same annoying issue until I realized this option was there. Unfortunately upgrading phones will always keep that option as the default, so you have to remember to change it for new phones.

Mar 4, 2017
Visit site

I want to again thank you for helping me solve this issue. Your suggestion was an obvious one but there's such a thicket of menus and apps, on the phone and in the car, that I missed that one. It's hard to prove the absence of something, but I WAS able to use my voice when I wanted to with Android Auto, but I had the radio on, and the assistant wasn't triggered, and I also tried saying "hey google" and "okay google" with the radio off, and it didn't jump in. Looks like it's fixed. Thanks again, a lot!

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Glad I could help! TBH, it baffles me that to set up Android Auto... You have to download an additional app that is not installed WITH Android Auto (nor a way to access these from the car).

Now, you can opt to still have voice active with 'driving' apps (like Navigation), while keeping it off for other times (like when only listening to Music). I prefer to keep it off altogether because I'm a klutz when it comes to directions so I just have Maps on all the time hehe

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech