How change the default contact type from "Phone" to "Google"?

sonicbluemustang

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
Argh the wife dunked her dinc in the toilet. While I wait on the rice to suck out the water in hopes of salvaging her contacts that are obviously not synced to google. I made a backup last summer on her card but not recently.
Shak?s head in dispear.
Good luck to op.:)

sonicbluemustang

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
Open your Contacts screen, press the menu button (usually to the far left), then tap the Settings tab.
There should be a Contact Storage button that you can select. That will open up a dialogue box that allows you to select the account that you want to store the new contacts. I have mine pointed to my Hotmail account that is linked to Outlook. Everything updates seamlessly.

There is no settings tab.:(

timna

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
This is what has worked for me.

Go to People and click on menu. Select "view", then deselect all but "Google". Now when you create a new contact it should default to google.

Using a HTC Thunderbolt, Android 2.3.4 Gingerbread.

anika2012

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
As far as I can tell there is no way to set the contact default to Google on ICS, someone please correct me if I missed it somewhere. I am running a device with ics htc sense.

Things have changed a bit in ics so here is how I found to move/merge the contacts from phone to google. With contacts app open Select Menu > Manage Contacts. From there you can merge, move etc.. with out any manual copy operations.

ctychick

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
This is what has worked for me.

Go to People and click on menu. Select "view", then deselect all but "Google". Now when you create a new contact it should default to google.

Using a HTC Thunderbolt, Android 2.3.4 Gingerbread.

Thank you! This worked perfectly on my HTC Rezound.

HTC owners - I read in one of the Android Central articles that HTC/Sense is one of a few manufacturer skins that does NOT provide an option to change the default from saving to "Phone" to "Google" and that on HTC phones you have to manually change it every time you add a new contact. So... The above solution is the way to go for HTC users!

Sun Lee

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
I had this problem after the 4.2.1 update.. contacts I created on the phone did not update to gmail because it was they were stored on the phone.. You need to to to contacts, then hit Menu/Contacts to Display then select your gmail account. Now when you create a contact it defaults to Gmail..

bbsemiaddict

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I tried all tips on my HTC ONE X ATT and it only defaults to STORE TO PHONE no matter what I do. Anyone know if it will be fixed in next version of HTC SENSE that comes out with the JELLY BEAN sandwich update? (For HTC ONE X any day now?)

holt1001

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Have not found a way to change the default; however, here are three suggestions (2 were already posted)
1. Enter contact into google contact on computer and let it sync to phone.
2. Discipline yourself to select gmail account when add a contact on phone
3. To "move" contact to google contact an use steps below. The process is long, but is a way to transfer contacts digital.
b. Select Phonebook at top of screen.
c. Uncheck all options except phone
d. Open a contact that you wish to save.
e. Press Menu then Send Contact. Follow the prompts to send to your gmail account.
f. In Gmail open the email and Import Into Contacts.

Chintan Zangda

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Having same problem on my touch 4g as other users mentioned. The only way around to this problem is an app called Go Contacts. While adding a new number this app will ask in which account we would like to store instead of default "phone". Make this app as default for storing contacts and problem is solved. Hope this helps! :)

Jonathan Jung

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
I finally figured out how to switch default "save contact" from phone to my gmail account. :) I have a Note2 with the latest android
Go to
1) settings
2) Application Manager
3) all
4) scroll down to Phone
5) Clear Defaults
exit, exit, exit
I rebooted... not sure if that was nessasary

now.... when I save a number from dialer or otherwise
1) add to contacts
2) Create contact
3) now I have a drop down menu (which I didn't have before... only phone) I can pick my gmail account where to save the contact
4) type in info and save
it is now in my gmail contacts

by removing phone defaults I now have that choice again between "phone" and "Skype" when I am trying to call someone. If I select phone and "always" it will not effect my saving default....

Hope this help... jon

Offbyone

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I have a Galaxy Nexus but had the same problem with the wrong Default contact type on a new contact. I went to Settings>Apps>All Apps>Contacts (not contact storage) and cleared the data. This then prompted me to re select the default location when I tried to add a new contact.

fender242

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Not sure if you got an answer. But I had the same problem and I've solved it.

1. Go to Contacts, then Display Options. De-select all options except Google account (under "Choose contacts to display").

2. Enter a new contact, choose Google under "Contact Type". Save contact.

3. Re-boot Phone.

Voila! This should work.

Kieren Black

May 26, 2013
Visit site
I finally figured out how to switch default "save contact" from phone to my gmail account. :) I have a Note2 with the latest android
Go to
1) settings
2) Application Manager
3) all
4) scroll down to Phone
5) Clear Defaults
exit, exit, exit
I rebooted... not sure if that was nessasary

now.... when I save a number from dialer or otherwise
1) add to contacts
2) Create contact
3) now I have a drop down menu (which I didn't have before... only phone) I can pick my gmail account where to save the contact
4) type in info and save
it is now in my gmail contacts

by removing phone defaults I now have that choice again between "phone" and "Skype" when I am trying to call someone. If I select phone and "always" it will not effect my saving default....

Hope this help... jon

I have a Galaxy S4 and instead of selecting "Phone" in the list of apps I selected "Contacts" and then cleared defaults

Dr Pooja

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I finally figured out how to switch default "save contact" from phone to my gmail account.(Take back up of your contacts before doing anything)
I have S3 and Note 2 with the latest android
Go to
1) settings
2) Application Manager
3) all
4) scroll down to contacts
5) Clear data
exit, exit, exit
Now go to contacts ....
Add new contact you ll get 3 options.
Select gmail ie google contact.Now when you want to add new contact it ll be stored automatically to google contact ie gmail contact.

pavel123

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Oh thanks a lot, clearing data for contacts app and then creatingnew contact with google type makedit as default storage option in samsun galaxy 4!

Robert S1

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
Problem:
Contacts typed on phone do not go to computer gmail contacts.
Contacts typed on computer gmail contacts go to android.

Solution.
First, here is a sensible work process that I use.

My work process.
I want my contacts to be stored in my main gmail accounts.
(The solution will work if instead gmail you use other provider.)
That is to say, as soon as I type my new contact, it will go
into gmail contact list.
Here is how to achieve that.
On Android do:
main | phone | contacts | +new contact | just UNDER the new contact
there is little triangle that if you touch that, it will be menu
allowing to select who will be hosting your contacts | I select gmail.
This way it will configure that any new contacts will be stored in gmail contacts.
Then to see the right thing (only gmail contacts), do:
main | phone | contacts | menu | contacts to display choose gmail only.

Disclaimer:
If you want to use SIM to store some contacts and gmail to store other
contacts my solution is not applicable.
If you will use my work process, my solution works.
Note to Android designers of phone app, the triangle is a BAD idea, it should
be under menu option.

Abdullah Nasser

Feb 8, 2014
Visit site
hello all dears
I have problem in my gmail contacts that when I save any i dont find it in "My contact", I find it in "Other contact"
my phone Samsung Galaxy with android 2.3.6

Hopefully I can get some help

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrisBowles513