How do I change Messages bubble color from green to blue?

ladiinay

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
The only way to change the colors of the text bubbles is with a theme or in the color pallete settings. Then in the conversation background settings you can change the transparency of them as well. And this is with Samsung Messages. I am unsure about Google Messages or any sms apps.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
The only way to change the colors of the text bubbles is with a theme or in the color pallete settings. Then in the conversation background settings you can change the transparency of them as well. And this is with Samsung Messages. I am unsure about Google Messages or any sms apps.
Yeah true with Samsung message app but not sure with Google

kevinpleasants

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
AT&T and T-Mobile has hijacked in a way, Goggle Messages on the S22s. This is what's happened. Those 2 carriers have the messages going thru their servers unlike Verizon who is still using Jib or Jiv. If you look in your Google messages settings you'll see Powered by AT&T. So what's happening is you can only use the chat features with someone else on AT&T who's using chat features. It's because the messages are being controlled by AT&T now and the same for T-Mobile. I would love to see them fix this AT&T and T-Mobile., Google Messages was working fine before Your software you put over Googles software on the S22s. .

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
AT&T and T-Mobile has hijacked in a way, Goggle Messages on the S22s. This is what's happened. Those 2 carriers have the messages going thru their servers unlike Verizon who is still using Jib or Jiv. If you look in your Google messages settings you'll see Powered by AT&T. So what's happening is you can only use the chat features with someone else on AT&T who's using chat features. It's because the messages are being controlled by AT&T now and the same for T-Mobile. I would love to see them fix this AT&T and T-Mobile., Google Messages was working fine before Your software you put over Googles software on the S22s. .

I have the unlocked version Att Sim, haven't tried my t-mobile but says jibe,
Screenshot_20220301-003437_Messages.jpg

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I have the unlocked version Att Sim, haven't tried my t-mobile but says jibe,
View attachment 342411
Mine shows same with unlocked on Verizon.
deb44d6c11f3a5a2c5fb48143b390702.jpg

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
My Pixel 6 Pro is on T-Mobile, and it still says Jibe. But I got my phone directly from Google, so I don't know if it's different on a 6 Pro directly from T-Mobile.

Cody Ratliff

Dec 1, 2017
Visit site
Samsung's is going to be green unless its on chat then it's blue. Right now its a mess. There's a bunch on Reddit about this. Some people have side loaded the open beta google messages and those run on jibe mobile, what everyone is used to. Some people cant do that and are stuck with the Sammy skinned version that's installed.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Samsung's is going to be green unless its on chat then it's blue. Right now its a mess. There's a bunch on Reddit about this. Some people have side loaded the open beta google messages and those run on jibe mobile, what everyone is used to. Some people cant do that and are stuck with the Sammy skinned version that's installed.
I just cant see Google message app being controlled by carriers

ZDK

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
As far as I know...Samsung Messages has ALWAYS been green ugly bubbles ---regardless of whether your using RCS chat. At first i thought this was a systemic issue with only unlocked phones. So starting with SN10+ I started getting carrier specific models from Samsung (TMobile)---IT MADE NO DIFFERENCE!
Every year I post this same question across all forums as to why my chat bubbles are green as opposed to blue.
Just so that's its clear--> Samsung Messages (I'm still using my N20U until my S22U comes) does RCS. It's enabled on my phone. I see the animation when the other person is typing as well as a blue dot by their name if they're currently active. Bubbles are green...its NOT going to change. If you go back to the 1st posts on the N20U in 2020...my post on green bubbles is there. If you go back to the N10+ forum posts, one of the first posts you'll see is mine...and its about these damn god-for-saken GREEN BUBBLES.

tjubb

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Confirmed that on my Note 20 I had blue bubbles for chats with other Android users. I even started getting emoji reactions even from iPhone users. Now that I've upgraded to the S22 Ultra both of those features are gone. No more blue bubbles with fellow Android users and now emoji reactions come through as "liked xxxxxxxxxxx" meaning a duplicate of the text that was liked be prepended with "Liked". Sigh.

I'm guessing it has to do with the preloaded Google Messages on the S22? I can uninstall updates to Messages but can't remove the entire app.

deepseadiver

Sep 11, 2014
Visit site
Oddly when this topic started I checked my messages and they were all blue, as they were on previous devices. Today I noticed they are now green. The only change I made was installing my new 5G sim from VZW. I'm not sure if they were still blue before that or that is what triggered the change.

FWIW Unlocked S22+ on VZW

LuckiestLiz

Aug 16, 2016
Visit site
Light blue/dark blue on my (small local network) A12 for work.

Green/dark blue on my S22U unlocked on AT&T.

So I also suspect related to carrier(s). Stupid, but AT&T does like messing with our messaging sadly. At least for now, mine still says powered by Jibe and chat features are working for others using Google messages. No iPhone reactions but I saw an article saying that wasn't released yet (either still beta or just slow roll out - don't recall).

YMarkY

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
Here's the trick I use to change the message bubble color.
  • Click on one of your messages
  • Select the 3 dots in upper right corner
  • Select "Customize chat room"
  • Select a different background
  • Change the bubble opacity to your liking
  • Select "Apply to all chat rooms" or customize different chat messages
Your bubble colors should somewhat match the message background.

Will_T

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
That means it's going sms not rcs

That is good to know as that is easy to see and watch for. I have the latest Beta version of Google messages and all chat/RCS features turned on. I am using the light Messages theme and all my bubbles are green. So I guess I have been messaging only with people without Chat/RCS. Although I know lots of them have iPhones so do have the features. But likely there is no integration between Android and iPhone yet, even on Beta? I guess you will get blue bubbles only if you message with another Android user, (or maybe only another Samsung Android user)?