How do I get an icon on home screen?

towngirl

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I believe that works... that is a long way to go, to take it off home screen.

None of you use Home Screen Only?

I can't stand the other Home and Apps screens. It just lays all apps in screens that are one Up one Down.. up & down .. up & down..

Home Screen Only, easier to find everything (for me)

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I believe that works... that is a long way to go, to take it off home screen.

None of you use Home Screen Only?

I can't stand the other Home and Apps screens. It just lays all apps in screens that are one Up one Down.. up & down .. up & down..

Home Screen Only, easier to find everything (for me)
Yeah i like my app drawer, otherwise i be using my iphone

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I can give you another option , can use something like Nova launcher , turn app drawer off and create app shortcuts within the apps or have all apps on home screen

For Nova I use swipe down with one finger from home screen to get app drawer and swipe up with one finger to go back to home screen.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm getting a bit confused here. You're using Home Screen Only, but want to remove an app shortcut from the homescreen? Or are you saying that you can't remove an app shortcut from the homescreen when you're using Home Screen And Apps?

Just to be clear, you can't remove an app shortcut if you're using Home Screen Only, because those app icons represent the actual apps. Removing them would mean uninstalling the app. You could use the Hide Apps feature, I suppose.

The main point of the Home Screen And Apps option is that you can customize your homescreens exactly how you want, placing only the app shortcuts you really need on the homescreen. The App Drawer is available if you need to see your entire list of installed apps, but you typically don't need to open that on a regular basis.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
So they go screen after screen
Not Up and Down

If that right?

I never had a phone that did that, until I got Samsung G 10+ .. I thought it was a Samsung thing, at first
Correct in home screen mode just page to page , home screen and app drawer u have home screen abd flip.to app drawer

towngirl

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm getting a bit confused here. You're using Home Screen Only, but want to remove an app shortcut from the homescreen? Or are you saying that you can't remove an app shortcut from the homescreen when you're using Home Screen And Apps?

Just to be clear, you can't remove an app shortcut if you're using Home Screen Only, because those app icons represent the actual apps. Removing them would mean uninstalling the app. You could use the Hide Apps feature, I suppose.

The main point of the Home Screen And Apps option is that you can customize your homescreens exactly how you want, placing only the app shortcuts you really need on the homescreen. The App Drawer is available if you need to see your entire list of installed apps, but you typically don't need to open that on a regular basis.

To clarify: I was trying to find an icon (and remove one).

I did not know it was difficult, like this. I did not have to do it like this, a while back.

I found how to get it (using the + key as posted above) and how to get rid of one using Hide apps.

My husband and I were going all over how this works when we got Galaxy 9 for him & and 10+ for me.. you could do this. Now, it's more difficult (I think). But it is good.. now I know how, because of this thread. So thanks to all :cool:

I still customize it. But it's not Up and Down. Just one level. I don't like all these levels.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Ok, so it sounds like you're using Home Screen Only. The irony is that Home Screen Only is supposed to be "simpler," since there's no App Drawer to mess around with -- but it just means the home screens act as your App Drawer.:)

towngirl

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Ok, so it sounds like you're using Home Screen Only. The irony is that Home Screen Only is supposed to be "simpler," since there's no App Drawer to mess around with -- but it just means the home screens act as your App Drawer.:)
I didn't know it was supposed to work that way. I have all my apps out, some in folders... but I scroll one way to access them. No down. Just R or L
My husband is how you mentioned.
He had so many up and down and apps all over they place. He didn't like it, but now like it.

towngirl

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Also, never knew this, when I got the phone. My other android worked different.

It would be nice if they had an app drawer on both screens because for me it's a layout not about app drawers
But still need to add and remove icons.

I guess y'all think I am nuts using the phone this way lol

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You'd probably enjoy trying various 3rd party launchers, since they give a lot more flexibility to how the homescreens are set up. Give Nova Launcher a try.