How does the official OTA JellyBean run? (put your reviews here)

Syrous44

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
Love the increases performance. Everything working fine for my build her in Canada. Latitude and google now, dont use any battery up at all mostly the screen. Getting anywhere from 8-14 hours depending on use. I can notice about 1-3 hour increase in life from what i had before on ics on average, not alot but a start. Definitely faster, love the new camera tweaks. Notifications alot better, have same issue with facebook notifications however like some of you. Just toggled them off and on see if that fixes that. So far very pleased, very stable no crashes and just buttery smooth.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Polish Prince

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Running great so far for me. I've only come across one glitch. That glitch happened today while I was snapping photos.

I use the NS4G camera all the time for work purposes. Today, while I was snapping pics, the phone locked up (totally unresponsive) and I waited for a couple mins before I decided to do a battery pull.

No big deal, but I hope this doesn't become the norm.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

vg7702

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Everything with the updated runs smoothly and is much more polished. However I am noticing significant battery drain coming from Google wallet. Each day I have to force stop wallet upon turning the device on to keep Google wallet from using over 40% of battery. I do not use wallet and have NFC turned off so this is annoying step to conserve battery.

skidmark

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
Everything with the updated runs smoothly and is much more polished. However I am noticing significant battery drain coming from Google wallet. Each day I have to force stop wallet upon turning the device on to keep Google wallet from using over 40% of battery. I do not use wallet and have NFC turned off so this is annoying step to conserve battery.

I have noticed the same behavior as well. I reported it to Google.

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site

Have you tried disabling it? Go into Apps->All and find it and stop it and then choose "disable". It may take a few times of going in/out of this settings menu before the "disable" button shows up.

Cyclesnack

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I just got 4.1.1 today and it BLOWS! Menuing is jerky, apps crash or don't work. In fact, the available tile bar on Words with Friends is obscured and Minecraft locks up. If I can't play minecraft I might as well throw this out! Anyone know how I can go back to old an older OS?

mkhall

May 3, 2011
Visit site
1. The battery life? Seems better than ICS, so far.
2. Stability? It was fine for the first two days, but lately it has started randomly rebooting, usually during phone calls.
3. Anything not working properly? Other than the reboots everything seems copacetic.
4. Wifi, 4G, data Connection? This seems much better than ICS. I'm assuming the radio got a significant upgrade with JB.
5. Performance? It varies. It's generally very smooth, but when it starts to go south, it just turns to crap. At that point all I can do is reboot it and hope for the best.

I'm happy with it overall, but I'm hoping that these rough spots will get smoothed over soon.

jrock151#CB

May 12, 2010
Visit site
For some reason on my phone it never would give me the option to actually put the apps on the sd card...its cool now!

Cant wait till my S3 gets the update!

mkhall

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I'm replying to myself.

Since the update, the phone's performance has steadily declined. When it works - right after a reboot, for example - it's excellent, fast and smooth. A couple of hours later, there will be a 2-3 second lag between tap and response. The radio is greatly improved, but every few hours it just quits completely, and needs a full reboot to return to life.

None of which is a slam on JB. I just suspect that a vanilla, un-rooted* NS4G can't quite keep up with the software's demands.

*Rooting isn't an option for me, as I can't afford to replace the phone if something goes wrong, like it did with my "impossible to brick" bricked Nook Color.

skinneejay

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Maybe I can help. I would love to know what apps you have on your phone. I'll bet it something running in the background that
is slowing your phone down.
Yes, I'm replying to myself.

Since the update, the phone's performance has steadily declined. When it works - right after a reboot, for example - it's excellent, fast and smooth. A couple of hours later, there will be a 2-3 second lag between tap and response. The radio is greatly improved, but every few hours it just quits completely, and needs a full reboot to return to life.

None of which is a slam on JB. I just suspect that a vanilla, un-rooted* NS4G can't quite keep up with the software's demands.

*Rooting isn't an option for me, as I can't afford to replace the phone if something goes wrong, like it did with my "impossible to brick" bricked Nook Color.

ajh129

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
I got the OTA update a few days ago on my unrooted Nexus S. There is definitely a performance increase. The only problem I have is with Google Play. I am unable to download or update any of my apps. What happens is if I try to download something, it pops up the "Google Play has stopped", and it repeats that message every time I try to access google play. I'm not sure what's going on. Other than that, the update has been fine.

EDIT: Nevermind, just reset the phone and Play works now!

Last edited:

atomicglue

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
Been enjoying JB for a couple of weeks. Butter is not as smooth as I expected. Still freezes up or bogs down every now and then. Google Now is the bomb! And keeps getting better. 3G/4G hasn't changed where I live. Wifi has always been lousy for my phone. Foxfi stopped working after the upgrade. Really would like to see that fixed. Other than that, not many complaints. Very solid.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Android Central Forums

Logansmom32

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
For screenshot, yes, hold down the sleep button on right and the volume down button. You have to press at same time & hold down for a few seconds....NOT just a quick press. The screenshots will be in the gallery under screenshots . I hope this helps!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus with Jelly Bean AOS using Android Central Forums

gramamoose

May 14, 2011
Visit site
Is anyone able to get this to work? I tried the above and am able to connect to the hotspot but get no internet access.

I haven't gotten this to work.
I've tried several different apps and made sure everything was checked and nothing!
Battery life is as good/bad as ICS, like all the enhancements....
Just want some 4G tethering now! Please and thanks?