How fast does your s9+ recognize your face?

Jesus Delgadillo

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm a guy with a beard, so the intelligent scan sometimes struggles to recognize my face and unlock, to the point where it takes over 5 seconds or it just doesn't recognize it at all. Does it happen to anyone else ?

Hermes Hidayat

Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I'm a guy with a beard, so the intelligent scan sometimes struggles to recognize my face and unlock, to the point where it takes over 5 seconds or it just doesn't recognize it at all. Does it happen to anyone else ?

Cant say much about face unlock as i use IRIS scanner. But it's slower compared to my previous Note 8.

mgbosshogg

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Have the same issue when the wife is sitting on my face.

It does seem to struggle with beards it appears.

mlblack16

Apr 29, 2016
Visit site
I have it set to read both face and iris, but it's slower than my S8+ which is annoying as hell, considering this device has an upgraded camera.

HNNNNNGHHH

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I have it set to read both face and iris, but it's slower than my S8+ which is annoying as hell, considering this device has an upgraded camera.

Part of me thinks it's due to Samsung hiding the IR sensor a bit better on the S9. The S8 had that sensor a bit more opaque behind a blueish cutout whereas the S9 darkened the cutout to have it stand out less, which makes the phone look even cleaner imho

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
Mine is disappointing and I have tried all the options too. Trouble is compared to the iPhone X (more secure) and OP6 (Less secure) the S9 is too slow to be my go-to method, I’m still using the FPS.

CincyGuy

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I'm sorry but this whole thread needs to be taken out back and shot, as it is tainted from that one TMI comment! :p

My S9+ face id unlock works fine, very high rate that is for all intents instant once I get it to within 6-12 inches of my face. About 1 time in 20 or so it hunts for no discernible reason and I slide my finger over to the sensor on back to unlock it.

Worlds better than either face or iris unlock on my s8, which was so slow and had such a low hit rate that I never used it.

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
I got my S9+ two months ago, and the face recognition was instant from day 1.

Then, in troubleshooting the muffled voice problem, I booted into safe mode a few times just recently. While I'm back in normal mode, ever since then the face recognition has been as bad as described here.

I'm about to reset it and see what happens.

Jesus Delgadillo

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
I got my S9+ two months ago, and the face recognition was instant from day 1.

Then, in troubleshooting the muffled voice problem, I booted into safe mode a few times just recently. While I'm back in normal mode, ever since then the face recognition has been as bad as described here.

I'm about to reset it and see what happens.
Let me know if it gets fixed

Jimmy Le1

May 22, 2015
Visit site
Morning All,

I just bought an S9+, last night (29th August 2018). And, to me the Iris/Face recognition is awful, at best.
A moment ago, I set it up again, just to see if it would make a difference. It is almost quicker for me to use the fingerprint reader. Albeit, I shouldn't have to...

Alas, coming from an iPhone X, with virtually instant unlock from Face ID, I am not fond of the Iris Scanner or Face Unlock with Samsung.

Is there a skill or 'best' way to setup Iris/Face Recognition, and to use it?

PS: I had a Note 9 for a few days, and I was finally able to have that work 99.9% of the time. I learned to merely look where the Red light shows up. Alas, this 'trick' does not work on the S9+.

Looking forward to your feedback.

Mine is almost instantly .. with intelligent scan set up ..
Give it little time to break in ...:D

mlblack16

Apr 29, 2016
Visit site
I should clarify, mine works fine, except in low light. My S8+ only read my iris, and it worked fairly well, but struggled in low light (for obvious reasons).

When I found out the S9+ was going to have a more capable front camera, I was under the impression that it would unlock even faster in the mornings when lighting is poor, but such is not the case. It's as if the S9+ is trying to hard to face detect and less iris detection that it's making it less effective in low light.

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
Let me know if it gets fixed

So here's what happened:

I reset the face recognition many many times over the last week or so, and if anything it got WORSE.

Just now I decided to clear it all out. In System I found Apps, and chose to show System Apps--and there was Face. I chose that and force stopped it (no choice available for clearing data). I immediately restarted the phone and re-set face recognition, and it seems to work MUCH better now.

Thomasrope

May 20, 2017
Visit site
I have a beard I keep closely trimmed and is mostly grey. My face recognition works very very well except in low light, it struggles but eventually gets it.