How "future proofed" do you think the Note 9 is?

anon(20964)

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Future firmware updates are more a threat than any potential advance in technology to the longevity of the devices released in 2018.

Personally I do not worry about how future proof current devices are - I simply enjoy them today.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Well if someone is trying to get 3 years out of a device it may be a concern. 2 years shouldn't be and issue. Even at 3 years 4G will still be operative.
Is a 2 year device wirth $1250? Actually with accessories closer to $1500 and you know you'll want out after a year to 18 mos max.

RadeonHD

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
There's a few articles out there commenting on the fact that they glued in the battery so heavily that it will be nearly impossible to replace without destroying the device

Are you freaking kidding me? Batteries literally can conk out at anytime...

I don't like the sound of that one bit.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Is a 2 year device wirth $1250? Actually with accessories closer to $1500 and you know you'll want out after a year to 18 mos max.

There was time where I would have said no it's not worth it. I was the guy waiting for his new every two or earlier for the primary member. Those days are gone and I don't care about the money.
They worth it because that's what market will support. Unfortunately that's a high price to scrape up for those cant.

Regardless of 5G or not the battery will start to deteriorate anyway. Most of the forum dwellers buying these so called flagships are trading up after a year or passing it on to a family member. There are great deals in the new orused market for one or two year old phones.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
It will still be about 2 years before 5G to be widely available and even then many phones won't have 5G.

In the meantime IMO getting excellent speed in some areas of S. Fla gotten and just like when 4G was ramping up, 3G was getting less conjested and speeds improving so same thing will happen with 4G as 5G ramps up.

I've gotten speeds from towers over 200mb so I'll be quite content with performance I'm getting down here as 5G ramps up.

Point being 5G is the future. Maybe go cheap til then

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
There was time where I would have said no it's not worth it. I was the guy waiting for his new every two or earlier for the primary member. Those days are gone and I don't care about the money.
They worth it because that's what market will support. Unfortunately that's a high price to scrape up for those cant.

Regardless of 5G or not the battery will start to deteriorate anyway. Most of the forum dwellers buying these so called flagships are trading up after a year or passing it on to a family member. There are great deals in the new orused market for one or two year old phones.
It's funny the only phone I've ever owned that I don't still have is my old Note 7 and it may have been my best.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Exactly. Future-proof depends on the manufacturer and how willing they are to support the device in the future.

IMO 5 years is asking too much. A solid 2 I think. With the 3rd year you're feeling the glitches and lag due to less than stellar support.

You want an example of future-proof. I have an iPhone 6 and also a 6s I still keep around. One in case I need a backup phone if my main phone fails. The other I'm actually still using as my running phone being smaller and thinner to run with.

The reason it's been future-proof? Because since the 4 years since release with iOS 8, it's gotten every major update including every incremental update in between, currently rocking iOS 12 and, after 4 years, the OS and apps still run pretty smoothly and can probably reach year 5 no problem. One battery still showing fresh and other paid $30 in Apple battery replacement program.

I have been surprised how well Samsung has been with updates on the Note 8 but YMMV... look at the complaints S9 owners had with updates in the beginning. Phones running great at 1 year mark with no lag and such so I believe will have a solid second year. Third year, we'll see. I think we're in unchartered territory already with the Note 8 being one of the first phones from Samsung to not get hit with the dreaded lag after a year.

hardware wise, very. durability, ehh. the glass back and curved display are prone to breakage and the new gorilla glass is easily scratched.

there real issue being Samsung's update policy. they release a new flagship with a year old operating system but brag about giving three major updates. basically, a phone that should have been released with P was released with O, and should get S will only get R. monthly updates are good on 1-2 year old phones but they basically go quarterly after that. They also do not give older devices UI upgrades that are more than capable of running them.

Samsung has gotten far better about updating their devices, but as a person who has spent a lot of money on their phones and tablets, still have both a note 8 tablet and note 10.1, and various phones in between, hardware still keeps up, but software is a shame.

EuroDriver

Aug 24, 2018
Visit site
Truth be told, iPhones seem to stay relevant for an impressive period of time. Sadly, Android phones don't. That said, Samsung did put some umph into the Note 9. It should be able to maintain its own for a while but the consumer needs to judge what it needs vs what it wants. My issue with Androids is that it seems after a couple years, the devices religiously become notably slower and battery life tanks

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Llop719