How many fall of 2014 Droid Turbo buyers sticking?

Cajun_Mike

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site
How many of you are like me with your two year Verizon contract up on Droid Turbo and aren't rushing to buy a new phone?

I am shocked that I have not gone out and immediately bought a new phone. Previous two phones with two year deals I was counting days until I could upgrade.

Don't get me wrong, I want a new phone but I don't like what I see and this phone isn't slowing up or giving me trouble.

I was thinking that I was all set to go back to Samsung and the Note 7 but we all know about their issues.

New Moto Z, won't get my business because the camera is behind the rest of the class.

I have thought about going to my first iPhone ever with the 7plus but I don't want to do that and then the iPhone 8 come out and it be where their real advances take place.

We will see about the Google pixel phones but the renders look like crap and its HTC hardware which means the camera is mediocre like the Motorola.

So.... Wait for Galaxy S8? Wait to benefit from serious blackeye of Note 7 and likely insane black Friday deals?

Or just wait for 2017 for another round of phones from everyone? Right now, I am thinking I can do that.

Anyone else feel the same?

VZWsucks

Dec 3, 2014
Visit site
I'm good with the turbo, I like it and it completely functional and stable. Plus ➕ I'm not in the big of a rush to spend that kind of money if I don't need to.

JohnS305

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
My Turbo is still running pretty good, although I do notice some signs of age. I'm not going to rush out and get something new. I'll wait for a good deal to come along, maybe around Christmas or next spring. I'm pretty much done with Moto, good phones but lack of support. I think I might go with Samsung.

mrtonk

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
I was thinking of moving to Samsung, or signing up for Google Fi and getting a Nexus or Pixel, but last night I went to go see what a noise was downstairs and I used the chop chop motion to get my flashlight and thought, "I can't give that up."

pdarrah

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
My Dad (76yo) and I were just talking about this a few days ago. We both have the Turbo and are perfectly happy with it. Still have great battery life, runs everything either of us use (neither are into gaming, so latest & greatest isn't all that important) and just can't see any reason to spend a chunk on a new phone just because it has been 2 years. We have always upgraded before at the 2 years because we were having issues with our phones or really wanted new/different features (such as when we switched from blackberry to android) but there really isn't any reason to upgrade right now. Maybe something will come along that wows us, but not seeing any reason to change today.

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I was thinking of moving to Samsung, or signing up for Google Fi and getting a Nexus or Pixel, but last night I went to go see what a noise was downstairs and I used the chop chop motion to get my flashlight and thought, "I can't give that up."

I'm looking at the Pixel as well. I really like the chop for flashlight too. I believe there is an app that can do that for other devices, so that may not be much of an issue.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm looking at the Pixel as well. I really like the chop for flashlight too. I believe there is an app that can do that for other devices, so that may not be much of an issue.

Or press the power button and "OK Google, turn the flashlight on" from the lock screen. (Of course the Moto phones can do that without the display on...)

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I am, but only because nothing really interested me except the g5.
Also wife is due for a new iPhone so putting money towards that since I just for my replacement device from big red last week. Darn camera hardware issue

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
How many of you are like me with your two year Verizon contract up on Droid Turbo and aren't rushing to buy a new phone?

I am shocked that I have not gone out and immediately bought a new phone. Previous two phones with two year deals I was counting days until I could upgrade.

Don't get me wrong, I want a new phone but I don't like what I see and this phone isn't slowing up or giving me trouble.

I was thinking that I was all set to go back to Samsung and the Note 7 but we all know about their issues.

New Moto Z, won't get my business because the camera is behind the rest of the class.

I have thought about going to my first iPhone ever with the 7plus but I don't want to do that and then the iPhone 8 come out and it be where their real advances take place.

We will see about the Google pixel phones but the renders look like crap and its HTC hardware which means the camera is mediocre like the Motorola.

So.... Wait for Galaxy S8? Wait to benefit from serious blackeye of Note 7 and likely insane black Friday deals?

Or just wait for 2017 for another round of phones from everyone? Right now, I am thinking I can do that.

Anyone else feel the same?

Exactly. Exactly.

I, too, was thinking Note7 or Pixel. But reading the N7 forums, there are the same complaints of TouchWiz lag, general lag you get with Samsung products, and the whole battery blowing up issue. Also, there are complaints about the battery "only" lasting 4 hours of screen time alongside gushing praise of the battery awesomely lasting for 4 hours of screen on time. We Turbo owners laugh at 4 hours SOT. And sorry, but a 12MP camera? Really, that's it? I've gotten used to having large images that are filled with fine details and images that I can crop.

The Pixel phones are nothing special. A 12MP camera with an f2.0 lens? Big whoop-dee-doo. They look like an iphone clone with huge bezels. There just isn't enough of an upgrade to get me to move off the Turbo.

I'm a long battery life devotee, so I'm somewhat intrigued by the Moto Z Play. There are reports of seriously insane battery life. While it has a fingerprint scanner, a feature I really want, there is no OIS on the camera and the camera is basically a smaller version of the Turbo camera (16MP instead of 21MP) that will focus a tad bit faster. I handled one at Best Buy recently and it was a bit harder to hold in the hand than the Turbo. Overall, the Play Z is not really an upgrade, IMO, at least on paper. Using it might be a different story, though. I'm not a gamer so the 1080 screen doesn't bother me. Would still have Moto software, minimal changes to Android OS, and be quick as lightning with zero lag. Some have bought it with a coupon code and gotten the price down to $212. That's awful tempting.

I'd never (well, probably never) go to an iPhone.

In the final analysis, there just isn't anything that blows me away and is a magnitude shift up from the Droid Turbo. So I think I'll keep it for now and just keep looking at the new releases. Another month and it will be paid for and my Verizon bill drops significantly.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Pixel would be the only Android phone I'd buy now. The pixel is only built by HTC; its not an HTC phone. Most important for Droid users, who are obviously Verizon customers, it's built for Verizon, will get updates directly from google, so no Verizon wait, and it's a great size again - no more huge slab if you want a great Android phone.

89 from DXOMark is more than good enough for a smartphone camera.

The iPhone or Pixel would be the only phones I would buy right now.

Cajun_Mike

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site
That is a good score indeed. The performance of the camera must owe a lot to the software processing, because I don't think it's the hardware.

Found this:
https://www.cnet.com/au/news/google-pixel-camera-design-lure-from-iphone/

Those DXOMark reviews are never true.. They blow something out day one and they are always wrong and contradicted by every review source that people trust in mass. 2.0 apperature camera.. No way it performs as well as Note 7 or iphone 7 plus.

Bottom line, if my phone blows up next month, i'll go with Note 7.. As long as it's working, i'm leaning towards waiting until this time next year if need be.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Those DXOMark reviews are never true.. They blow something out day one and they are always wrong and contradicted by every review source that people trust in mass. 2.0 apperature camera.. No way it performs as well as Note 7 or iphone 7 plus.

I would tend to doubt it, but the Pixel does have a different method of sampling images for HDR.

In any event all three of those phone have "only" a 12MP image size.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ukfred