How many snoozes before alarm gives up and self-dismisses?

Gates Is Antichrist

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
I did some tests on this. Here I show what I did and the results with the stock Clock app on an LG on Marshmallow. I would appreciate if someone can confirm these results on either Marshmallow or whatever.

First, essentially important, notice that there is a *difference* between pressing snooze, and ignoring. If you just ignore the ring and let it ring out (for me, that's 60 seconds), it "self-snoozes". Note below that a self-snooze and a snooze Press are not the same for alarm self-dismissal.

Short answer: after SIX consecutive ringings (thus 5 snooze periods) without a keypress, it gives up and self-dismisses.

At least on MY phone this is verified. The alarm self-dismisses after you ignore SIX consecutive rings without pressing anything. However every time you PRESS snooze, as long as you haven't missed 6 chances in a row yet, you effectively reset the counter; and the alarm can be continued indefinitely (well, I'll just say, 6 hours is as far as I've tested), until it does get six consecutive rings without a button press.

As a practical example, if my daily 6 A.M. wake-up alarm has snooze set to 5 minutes, and I never get up to PRESS snooze, at 6:26 the alarm will give up and self-dismiss. (For a snooze setting of 15 minutes, that would be 7:16.) But had I touched the snooze button on any of those 6 chances (i.e., between 6:00 and 6:26), I would have "bought myself" another 30 minutes before the alarm self-dismissed. And if I *pressed* Snooze anytime during THOSE 30 extra minutes, I would "extend my life" for yet another 30 minutes. I haven't managed to find any limit as to those extensions (though I suspect it's 12 or 24 hours). I once pressed snooze every 15 minutes for 6 hours before I dismissed it myself.

So if you don't touch anything, you will get 5 snooze periods (I prefer to say "self-snooze" periods), which means ignoring the alarm 6 times, before self-dismissal. After the 6th time ignoring (you ignored the initial alarm, and each of them following the next 5 snooze periods), it self-dismisses, and reports the dismissal in the notification area.

For example, if you have a 5 minute snooze setting on at alarm set for 1:00, and you ignore the 1:00 dismiss/snooze screen, and you also ignore it at 1:05, 1:10, 1:15, 1:20, and 1:25, that makes 6 in a row that you ignored, so at the end of the 1:25 ringing it self dismisses. (For me that means it self-dismisses at 1:26, because my alarms run for 60 seconds before self-snoozing.)

Note that I can respond to OTHER alarms that arise between the snoozes. I can snooze or dismiss a DIFFERENT alarm at 1:02 and the 5 snooze period lifetime for the alarm we're discussing is unaffected.

When you DO *press* "snooze", the 5 period limit is reset. You buy yourself another 5 self-snooze periods (plus one minute, or however long the alarm goes before self-snoozing). Every time you press snooze, you buy yourself another 30 minutes in this example. If at any point you ignore the one 5 minutes after touching snooze, and ignore 10 minutes after,15,20,25,30 - that makes 6 in a row - and one minute later, it "self-destructs."

Here is an example of never responding to a 1:00 alarm and after 6 times ignoring, self-dismissal:
self snoozed 1:00 (ignore #1 )
self snoozed 1:05 (ignore #2 )
self snoozed 1:10 (ignore #3 )
self snoozed 1:15 (ignore #4 )
self snoozed 1:20 (ignore #5 )
last chance alarm at 1:25 (You don't take it, and do ignore #6 )
SELF-DISMISS at 1:26

But when this same alarm happened the next day, I snuck in at the last chance, after ignoring only 5 in a row, and pressed snooze myself when the 1:25 alarm was ringing; and you will see that it bought me another 31 minutes - at which time I finally DID reach the fatal 6 ignored alarm rings in a row, and self-dismissal occurred:
self snoozed 1:00 (really 1:01) (ignore #1 )
self snoozed 1:05 (ignore #2 )
self snoozed 1:10 (ignore #3 )
self snoozed 1:15 (ignore #4 )
self snoozed 1:20 (really 1:21) (ignore #5 )
HAND snoozed at 1:25 (just before the option to prevent self-destruction expired at 1:26!)
self snoozed 1:30 (really 1:31) (ignore #1 )
self snoozed 1:35 (ignore #2 )
self snoozed 1:40 (ignore #3 )
self snoozed 1:45 (ignore #4 )
self snoozed 1:50 (really 1:51) (ignore #5 )
last chance alarm at 1:55 (which you ignore, #6 )
SELF-DISMISS at 1:56

For all I know this rule may vary with other installations, but it might be the rule for everyone using the stock Clock. Let me know!

Gates Is Antichrist

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central. Which LG phone do you have?

Thanks for looking in and all you do. BTW you can see that I'm not brand new :p
LG G Stylo/Metro PCS/July 2015
I'd give "About" info on Clock app but it doesn't seem to be revealing. It's the icon labeled "clock" underneath the 20:30 time display on this screenshot. As you can see, the time display indicates that the next alarm is scheduled at (or has been snoozed to) 20:35.

lg_scrn.jpg

Small favor, can you give me a link to forum posting tags here, such as font size :) I can't even tell what the forum thread software is to google it - PHP, home grown, etc.

<font size="1">[small](Screenshot taken with AZ Screen Recorder because pressing {power and vol.-down for screen capture} always takes me 15 tries to get the screen shot and not a volume or power button response)[/small]</font>

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
So are you just looking for verification, actually having a concern, just posting this as an fyi, or...?

Personally I don't use stock alarm apps. I use Alarm Clock Xtreme (this is the link to the paid version, but there's also a free version) because I can set it to dismiss with various actions like answering a math problem, various snooze settings, countdown timer, stop watch, and sleep tracker. If I want it to snooze, self snooze, or even self dismiss, I can (but I limit it to only 2 snoozes and no self dismissing). So there are certainly options out there if you feel yours isn't functioning as you would like.

On a related note, my wife's S7 Edge stock alarm will self dismiss after a time.

Gates Is Antichrist

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for your helpful input on one 3rd party alternative. My first and last paragraph in O.P. cover your first question.

Maybe I'm wrong but I thought a lot of people had wondered about this but didn't have the time or a test procedure. I'm been wondering about this ever since the first time I was jolted at seeing a notification "alarm at 7:00 has been dismissed" that I never heard ringing. I'm assuming that there are more than 9 users that run stock phone apps, for numerous reasons, so I shared this story of doing the test, so anyone can just use the observations here for whatever purpose, or straightforwardly duplicate the test process since I provided great detail, or report discrepancies, exceptions, platform variations, or anything else of possible public benefit. (Sorry it was so long, but I spent a substantial amount of time and care and accuracy before posting, if that counts O:) )