How much memory?

Lucy Davies

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Mum is thinking about getting the Samsung galaxy S3 mini 8GB's but how much memory do you actually get to play around with?

Posted via Android Central App

Lucy Davies

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Shame I thought it would have at least 6GB's. Thanks for the reply. Is it on jellybean or kitkat?

Lucy Davies

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Awesome Thank you. My mum likes jellybean. I'm sure she'll be ok with 4.5GB if she puts an sd card in.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Keep in mind that an SD card is primarily useful for storing music, photos, and videos. It generally doesn't expand the space available to install apps--you're limited to that 4.5 GB.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I would not recommend that anyone get a phone with only 8GB total memory; 16GB is really the minimum to go with. Android seems to get very finicky if there's less than 1GB free, so out of that 4.5GB that you think you're getting its really more like 3.5GB.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

Lucy Davies

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Oh didn't no Android gets finicky if it has less than 1GB. Will have to try & get a 16GB phone then buy my mum wants to stay on pay as you go & 1GB phones are expensive.

Lucy Davies

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Looks like this is the only phone we can afford on pay as you go & mum doesn't wanna go on contract. Can this phone connect to wifi?

gillyallan

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
Don't worry about it. I have s3 mini it has 8gb and has been perfectly fine. Ive got a sd card installed for my music and photos plus handily my navfree satnav also installs its data to the card.
Yes it has wifi.
I use my s3 mini for everything I do.

Posted via the Android Central App

Lucy Davies

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm not sure I understand the question - I'm not aware of any smartphone that doesn't support Wi-Fi.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

I looked at the specs of a few android phones & the S3 mini didnt list wifi connection while the others did. Also i have an S4 now after coming across from an iPhone 4 so bit of a noob on android phones.

At gillyallan that's good. Hoping my mum will be ok with the S3 mini then. We have an sd card already for it so she can store pictures, videos & music on.

Lucy Davies

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Got the phone today but can't find where to turn the battery percentage on. I've looked in display & looked in battery & scrolled down to the bottom & it's not there. Looked on YouTube & I follow the steps but it's missing from my mum's phone. Any ideas?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Depends on the carrier and firmware version - sometimes it's at the top of the Battery view, sometimes at the bottom and sometimes not there at all. Frankly, it's beyond me why this feature isn't unmodifiable by the carriers.

Lucy Davies

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Maybe Vodafone haven't included it. There is an update for the phone. Think the update will be 4.3 jellybean as it's on 4.2.2 at the moment. Maybe after the update it will appear? If not will have to download an app that does the battery percentage.

Update: I've updated it but it still shows its on 4.2.2 jellybean. Is this normal?

Last edited:

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Update: I've updated it but it still shows its on 4.2.2 jellybean. Is this normal?
In post #4 there was a link to an article that purported to say that there wouldn't be a KitKat update for this device, so it would make sense that any update was a minor one.

Lucy Davies

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
In post #4 there was a link to an article that purported to say that there wouldn't be a KitKat update for this device, so it would make sense that any update was a minor one.

I just thought the update would be 4.3 jellybean. I no the phone won't get kitkat.

At gillyallan I looked in display settings & the option isn't there think vodafone may not have it on there S3 minis. I downloaded an app called battery percentage which works.