[HOW-TO] Bluetooth Tether from Android phone to XOOM (NO root or app required)

mfriedman79

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
It doesn't look like this works on Galaxy S devices. From what I can tell the Galaxy S ROMs don't have a software feature for bluetooth tethering, thus it's not supported.

Newton1221

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
It doesn't look like this works on Galaxy S devices. From what I can tell the Galaxy S ROMs don't have a software feature for bluetooth tethering, thus it's not supported.

My Droid 2 doesnt have bluetooth tethering either on its own, but when the XOOM connects with it it automatically pull the internet from the Droid 2

it seems unlikely that this would be a motorola specific feature, but i dunno, i feel like someone with technical expertise you try to see why non-motorola devices wont connect properly

chrishwh

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
as i know, android 2.2 have ad hotspot i/o 2.1.
Therefore, is it the key point on this function ??
As i try phone to phone, but when i turn to airplane mode, the bluetooth will be auto shut down and can't turn it on....
i am wondering why xoom can still open the bluebooth ??

However, i am very happy to hear the xoom have this function, but i still can't buy one to test it in Hong Kong=.=

Newton1221

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
I wonder if this could have something to do with the blur overlay the motorola phones have, because the original droid doesnt have that and the original droid doesnt seem to be working either, what do you guys think?

wswilcox

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Unable to tether with Sprint Evo

I followed the directions for pairing my Evo with the Xoom. They are able to pair with each other but not to get a connection. It says "paired but not connected."

I've rebooted the Evo and Xoom and tried it again and that didn't work. So next I turned off wifi on the Xoom (do not have Verizon 3G contract). It still doesn't connect.

After doing all of this, the only options in Bluetooth Settings on the Xoom are "Rename device" and "unpair." I've also tried putting the Xoom in airplane mode first and then trying to connect and it's still not working.

I'm wondering if this has something to do with having PDANet installed on the Evo and debugging mode turned on.

Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions how to get the Xoom connected to the Internet using my Evo I'd sure appreciate the advice.

naldiian

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
I followed the directions for pairing my Evo with the Xoom. They are able to pair with each other but not to get a connection. It says "paired but not connected."

I've rebooted the Evo and Xoom and tried it again and that didn't work. So next I turned off wifi on the Xoom (do not have Verizon 3G contract). It still doesn't connect.

After doing all of this, the only options in Bluetooth Settings on the Xoom are "Rename device" and "unpair." I've also tried putting the Xoom in airplane mode first and then trying to connect and it's still not working.

I'm wondering if this has something to do with having PDANet installed on the Evo and debugging mode turned on.

Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions how to get the Xoom connected to the Internet using my Evo I'd sure appreciate the advice.

Same situation here... will let you know if I figure out anything

wswilcox

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I've e-mailed PDANet support asking them if PDANet will work with Evo and Xoom because if it does I may go that route if we cannot get this method working. If they respond, I will report back their response.

studentslacker

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
It does work for jailbroken iPhones. I use MyWi (paid version) on ATT. On the xoom you have to disable wifi and data, then pair the xoom first to the iphone (make sure Mywi is turned off at this point). Once you can pair the two devices, turn on bluetooth tethering on MyWi, then goto the Xooms bluetooth setting and click on your iPhones name (should be paired by now). Click on the wrench icon and it should now say 'tethered'. Now your Xoom should be tethering off your iPhone.

Works for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumbbunny