how to clear up space

johnowoss

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I was wondering if anyone new how to clear up space on my DNA. I'm rooted and have flashed a few Roms went from stock>newts>cm10.1>back to newts>updated newts to latest. I have my nandroid backup. Didn't know if changing Roms left unneeded files. I have about 5gb left of free space, not many pics or music on it, around 1 1/2 GB of apps. seems like my free space kept decreasing as i changed roms. I always did a factory reset and wiped cashes except when updating newts i just cleared the cashes hses. Any suggestions?

Posted via Android Central App

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Sometimes a Rom can be as large as 1gb. I go back and delete the past Roms after flashing/changing Roms. Check out root browser, you can navigate through your files and decide what is needed. If you've switched from cm to sense it will create a /0 directory that can be deleted, but first check to see if there are any pictures or things you'd like to move over to sdcard.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AC Forums mobile app

johnowoss

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Were do I find this directory. I'm having trouble trying to even find were I have the ROM zip files. I already pulled of cm10 by USB cable but can't find my zip file for my old version of newts. Is it safe to delete the current ROM zip file?

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
To free up space I never keep titanium backups or nandroid backups on the phone. I keep them on my laptop which save 2-4 gb and can easily be moved back when needed.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 4

johnowoss

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
How do I pull the nandroid backup off, I couldn't find it when browsing via USB and computer. Would I have to potentially use adb to install my nandroid?

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Is it really worth this hassle to have a custom ROM? Maybe put to a vote in another thread?

Only if you want to be able to add a ton of extra features to your phone. Hell yeah its worth it :-D

Your backup should be in a sub folder of your recovery. I use clockworkmod and my backup is in storage>sdcard>clockwork>backup.
You'll only have a backup if you made one in recovery which is always a good thing.

johnowoss

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Only if you want to be able to add a ton of extra features to your phone. Hell yeah its worth it :-D

Your backup should be in a sub folder of your recovery. I use clockworkmod and my backup is in storage>sdcard>clockwork>backup.
You'll only have a backup if you made one in recovery which is always a good thing.

Yeah I made one, the strange thing is there is no backup folder when i follow your path but I know it is there. Shows up when I boot into recovery. The only thing I see in clockworkmod is a file named (Recovery_version) , but I know that is not the backup I made because the date is off by a month. Also i made 2 folders when you first connect phone to computer, not sure what directory that is. One folder named roms and another gapps, but I can't find either except in recovery. I'm using the rom
[ROM] NOS m7 v3.0.0 [JB 4.2.2 & Sense 5] (8.1.2013)
Updated it from a previous version. Would the paths have changed with the update? Along with the path to the folders I created? The old version was 4.1.2 would that make a difference?

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I think when using a 4.2 rom it move many files to a file directory called "0". And for some reason I can't see some folder when connected to a computer so try using a file manager like root explorer and see if you can't find that backup file.

johnowoss

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I think when using a 4.2 rom it move many files to a file directory called "0". And for some reason I can't see some folder when connected to a computer so try using a file manager like root explorer and see if you can't find that backup file.

I've been using root browser and still cannot find it. Can't find the directory "0", have looked all over. Was going to ask this question in the xda forum for the rom but I'm new to xda so it won't let me.

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Strange.. How about a file called sdcard0 that's what I just noticed mines called.
seja3uje.jpg

You could also try deleting the backup using rom manager. I would look into each file on the root of you storage.

Just checked xda and it might be in data/media/cwr

Last edited:

johnowoss

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for tip in found it using rom manager and it showed me the path. Everything seems to be in /mnt/shell/emulated/. There i have clockwork with the backup and the folder I placed with my roms in it. I also found the "0" directory am I safe to delete the while directory?

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
You should be able to delete if you removed anything in there you needed. I still have mine "0" from flashing an AOSP 4.2.2 ROM figured it wasn't taking any space up.

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Didn't take up any space in I moved all the files back to the root of my storage. To see the size connect to your pc and then from your pc just right click on that file and select properties and it should show the size.

johnowoss

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
My computer won't see the folder. It won't see the beginning of the directory "mnt", at least I don't think it did. Will see when I get home. I may just have to move the directory. Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Right-Ad-9591